Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

These memes are hilarious. Check our Ghana Says Goodbye on reddit for more
    This is the best thing I've ever seen on reddit and I think it will be a long time anything de-thrones it (might have been posted on this board already somewhere:

https://www.reddit.com/r/torontorapt...in_the_dagger/

Comment

• A member of Donald Trump’s task force to reopen America’s economy has compared protesters calling for an end to coronavirus shutdowns to the civil rights icon Rosa Parks.

Stephen Moore, a conservative economist and longtime advisor to the president, made the comparison to three different news outlets as small-scale protests spread across the country.

“I think there’s a boiling point that has been reached and exceeded,” Mr Moore, who has been outspoken in his desire to relax stay-at-home orders, told the Washington Post.

“I call these people the modern-day Rosa Parks — they are protesting against injustice and a loss of liberties,” Mr Moore said of the protesters. He made similar remarks to the New York Times and CBS News.
      https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9472381.html

Feels like the Canada-US border will remain closed for a while...I just hope this all doesn't lead to outright violence...
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

This is the best thing I've ever seen on reddit and I think it will be a long time anything de-thrones it (might have been posted on this board already somewhere:

https://www.reddit.com/r/torontorapt...in_the_dagger/

Amazing. Thank you for this. Lol

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9472381.html

Feels like the Canada-US border will remain closed for a while...I just hope this all doesn't lead to outright violence...
          Our Feds haven't done a lot right, but one thing I'm confident they can't screw up is keeping the CDA/US border shut to non-essential crossings until they get our own country back to work without issue.

Comment

• The Americans that attend these protests aren’t able to point out Canada on a map, let alone have an interest in travelling here.

Comment

• my hospital (non-GTA) is currently a ghost town. we are going to get overwhelmed not by COVID patients but by the flood of elective procedures that were postponed. Not to mention the influx of people that were too afraid to go to the hospital when they should have.

I'm not saying we made an error with distancing measures in the beginning, when we didn't know how severe things would become. but we are seriously underusing our resources now while people quietly suffer from all varieties of non-COVID ailments. This is becoming unethical very quickly in my opinion.

Our officials have quietly morphed the message from "prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed" to "extinguish the virus". The latter is impossible and will have worse effects than the virus itself.

Given that toronto and the rest of Ontario have very different epidemiological curves, it's pretty infeasible to continue a province-wide policy.

Also, considering the building evidence of huge undetected spread (case counts on the order of 50-100x confirmed in many places), there is no further chance at containment (as if there ever was).

in the medium-long term we need a middle ground approach. Implement strong infection prevention strategies in LTC homes (universal staff PPE, screening tests, etc) while slowly re-opening the general society with a significant overall reduction in contact with strangers. small gatherings and businesses allowed, but no big events.

Last edited by KHD; Sun Apr 19, 2020, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• Something i was thinking about a couple weeks ago is kinda similar to what KHD is saying.
                Maybe need to start looking at a slow reopening of certain businesses and loosen up some things that are actually beneficial and can be done while social distancing. (Tennis court, golf, large provincial parks). Wait 14 days, If things look good openings can be extended, stay the same or be drawn back.

Also on a individual basis, those under 40 if they have no pre existing condition and don't live with elderly could return to certain jobs if they feel comfortable. If not employers should be understanding to allow those to continue working from home and the CERB benifits should still apply to those who can't or are uncomfortable to return for the time being.

At least here in B.C May 1st seems to be a reasonable date to start loosening up some restrictions, where i am now for the last 2-3 weeks if you were driving around the streets you would have no idea a pandemic is happening. People are out walking around, Grocery stores are busy, people are lining up for gardening stores and hell hasn't broken loose here virus wise.
                To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• For sure this is all what will happen (2 posts above), the debate is just how soon.

It sounds to me like epidemiologists need to see at least a couple weeks, if not more like a month, of a sustained flattened curve/decline before public health will start moving in the direction of opening things up. Best case scenario for us in this country looks like that's still a month or more away. It could make sense at some point here to have regional policies with travel restrictions between jurisdictions, but that would be pretty hard to enforce with anything short of actual roadblocks. From that perspective they may just wait until the whole country's ready.

Where I'm at they're already making adjustments and allowances as they go, greenhouses and some seasonal business that were originally considered non-essential are now allowed to operate. We could also easily see more of those types of specific exemptions, where there's good cause to make an exception to the general policy, before broader easing of restrictions.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                    For sure this is all what will happen (2 posts above), the debate is just how soon.

It sounds to me like epidemiologists need to see at least a couple weeks, if not more like a month, of a sustained flattened curve/decline before public health will start moving in the direction of opening things up. Best case scenario for us in this country looks like that's still a month or more away. It could make sense at some point here to have regional policies with travel restrictions between jurisdictions, but that would be pretty hard to enforce with anything short of actual roadblocks. From that perspective they may just wait until the whole country's ready.

Where I'm at they're already making adjustments and allowances as they go, greenhouses and some seasonal business that were originally considered non-essential are now allowed to operate. We could also easily see more of those types of specific exemptions, where there's good cause to make an exception to the general policy, before broader easing of restrictions.
                    Blocking travel between BC and AB is actually pretty easy theirs only 4 passes through the Mountains (I'm pretty sure you can't actually travel in the part of Alberta that im from into BC right now). BC would be very easily be able to start to open things up and be some sort of testing ground for opening things up. Kinda like the U.S/Can border you can let truckers and shipping through but block non-essential travel

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                      my hospital (non-GTA) is currently a ghost town. we are going to get overwhelmed not by COVID patients but by the flood of elective procedures that were postponed. Not to mention the influx of people that were too afraid to go to the hospital when they should have.

I'm not saying we made an error with distancing measures in the beginning, when we didn't know how severe things would become. but we are seriously underusing our resources now while people quietly suffer from all varieties of non-COVID ailments. This is becoming unethical very quickly in my opinion.

Our officials have quietly morphed the message from "prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed" to "extinguish the virus". The latter is impossible and will have worse effects than the virus itself.

Given that toronto and the rest of Ontario have very different epidemiological curves, it's pretty infeasible to continue a province-wide policy.

Also, considering the building evidence of huge undetected spread (case counts on the order of 50-100x confirmed in many places), there is no further chance at containment (as if there ever was).

in the medium-long term we need a middle ground approach. Implement strong infection prevention strategies in LTC homes (universal staff PPE, screening tests, etc) while slowly re-opening the general society with a significant overall reduction in contact with strangers. small gatherings and businesses allowed, but no big events.
                      The bold points should be getting more consideration now.

There's a school of thought in epidemiology that says the quickest way to prevent something from becoming a problem, from dragging too long, is to have the population rapidly build a natural immunity against the pathogen. These things are impossible to simply "eliminate" by limiting contact between people. It sounds counter-intuitive but the more people get it, the quicker it will go away as more people build a natural immunity to it and are out of the transmission picture. That's actually how humans naturally evolved over millenia to deal with these things (herd immunity).

I once had a neighbour who was an MD, and he would always have his kids wallowing in the dirt in the summer, playing outside, physically interacting with other kids. He would tell me that's the best way to build a natural immunity and be healthier overall as they grow. Even before all this, our kids have been for some time growing in a bubble-wrap culture (physically and mentally), and that will lead to a rise in physical (and mental) health issues as they grow.

I'm not saying there's no merit to what's been done (no one wants to catch this), but there's also a huge cost, both economic and in terms of health, and that combined cost will pretty soon outweigh the benefit.

To me, it wouldn't be unreasonable to soon:
                      (1) Open businesses and society back up
                      (2) Put strict measures on LTC homes (might actually be a good thing, would shine a public scrutiny on their standards of care)
                      (3) Allow volunteer self-isolation of multi-generation homes and households with immunocompromised people, while providing them with the financial support they need
                      (4) Take some of these billions that are being used to keep a comatose economy afloat, and use it directly in our hospitals and healthcare system, so we have a stronger healthcare now and for the generations to come.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                        Conversely, if this is true, then the death rate is actually 100 times lower than earlier estimates, which means it could probably be contained with some non- lockdown form of social distancing and a public wide change of habits (masks, hand sanitizer, etc...)

Comment

• Remember the good old days when we talked about free throw rate instead of death rate? I Member

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Conversely, if this is true, then the death rate is actually 100 times lower than earlier estimates, which means it could probably be contained with some non- lockdown form of social distancing and a public wide change of habits (masks, hand sanitizer, etc...)
                            Masks are cool now:

Can get them in the States.. not sure about in Canada yet:
                            https://store.nba.com/toronto-raptor...cid=41k4_j9961

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Masks are cool now:

Can get them in the States.. not sure about in Canada yet:
                              https://store.nba.com/toronto-raptor...cid=41k4_j9961
                              Mask fashion is about to go to a whole 'nutha level. I'm not sure how I feel about this....

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Mask fashion is about to go to a whole 'nutha level. I'm not sure how I feel about this....

I hate that companies are taking advantage of this situation to flippin' advertise.

"Ford is with you through this horrible COVID 19 ..... 19% off your lease payment for 19 months, come on down!"

Comment

Working...
                                X