Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

The video you posted last page was from infowars... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InfoWars

The quote you posted the page before that, bringing up Gates, is from reknowned bullshit artist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthias_Rath

This is a problem, Keon. You openly admit that you have no idea regarding the sourcing of your content.

That's how Russia got Trump elected and why, yes, Joey is right to be concerned when people (not just you) start posting wackadoo ideas, some from flat-out alt-right sources, and casually posing that this is how we should be informing our thought.

Love this site and don't mean this as an attack ... but "sticking to the facts" ..... despite the best efforts of some, that ain't really happening.

Anyway, Joey isn't suggesting deleting the thread from the looks of things. He seemed to be considering moving this conversation to another spot more fit for it, and where this site can have a chance of retaining its standing as a legitimate Raptor fan forum.

I've mostly been avoiding this place for a while as it's a bit sad to see some of the narrative around here. That said, I do like to check-in -- cause interspersed with the bullshit is some interesting, insightful stuff. That, and I've read virtually every post on this site for the last several years, hard to peel myself away.

And yes, I get that in order to have the valuable stuff that is being discussed here... you're bound to have to trudge through some garbage... just the way it is. So I don't know that there's a good solution.

Anyhow...

I think if someone like Masai were to read this forum right now he'd probably be like "WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK IS GOING ON IN HERE?????"

I imagine he's got more pressing ways to spend his time though.
    If you skip just the Corona thread, is it better for you? Easy decision then ....

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

If you skip just the Corona thread, is it better for you? Easy decision then ....
      Still wanna meet on the corner you fukkin bitch?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Disagree. When live basketball stops being played, basketball fans still need something to talk about. We are all competitive folks here, so there's going to be disagreements - that's what gives this place some life.

Every other thread is a non-Covid discussion. It's very easy to stay out of this thread if you don't like the discussion. We probably don't want those thin-skinned posters around here anyway. I think that's what Reddit is for.
        This, in triplicate

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Still wanna meet on the corner you fukkin bitch?
          I got lots of time these days lol, was it you? I can't remember ....

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post

Especially when the President of the United States says this on live television

yikes

Comment

• I apologize. I started it. I thought it would be important to have a place where people I like and respect could collect the latest thoughts on the pandemic and the virus so we all had a better chance at avoiding the worst aspects of the disease.

It kind of morphed into a discussion of what was good and what was bad about how it was being dealt with, which I thought was fair. We live in democracies, and an educated electorate is supposed to help keep the elected representatives on a straight or more correct path.

I still don't see a problem with disagreements. As long as folks can reference information that has some backing to it. That is the way science progresses. And science has no place for consensus. Theory, trial or experiment, an examination of results, and moderation or acceptance of the theory. That has been working very well, if too slowly, in the current situation. The recent antibody tests have demonstrated a much higher infection rate (and consequently a much lower fatality rate) than originally feared. So it is legitimate to expect a different reaction and response to the disease than first proposed. I think it is important to know that.

But I am cool with the Mods doing whatever.

Stay safe people.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

(p.s. I did a search of this alex Jones fella- recognized the voice right away. Turns out, for over 10 years he was talking about Jeffrey Epstein having an island of young sex slaves where he flew his famous and high ranking friends to come "take a load off". People called him a wing nut. Thats mainstream fact now. A little bit of critical thinking and a little less dismissiveness could have saved a lot of young girls lives.)
                Alex Jones has been more right than Rachel Maddow, or Don lemon in the past 4 years.

Don lemon said on TV that antifa can't be fascist because it says it right in the name. His ideas on the virus are brilliant too, he thinks if you stuff your hand down another man's pants against his will you can't catch Corona.

Rachel Maddow thinks Russia controls the world.

They are crazy people who have been nothing but wrong who still think their next thought can only be right.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                  I apologize. I started it. I thought it would be important to have a place where people I like and respect could collect the latest thoughts on the pandemic and the virus so we all had a better chance at avoiding the worst aspects of the disease.

It kind of morphed into a discussion of what was good and what was bad about how it was being dealt with, which I thought was fair. We live in democracies, and an educated electorate is supposed to help keep the elected representatives on a straight or more correct path.

I still don't see a problem with disagreements. As long as folks can reference information that has some backing to it. That is the way science progresses. And science has no place for consensus. Theory, trial or experiment, an examination of results, and moderation or acceptance of the theory. That has been working very well, if too slowly, in the current situation. The recent antibody tests have demonstrated a much higher infection rate (and consequently a much lower fatality rate) than originally feared. So it is legitimate to expect a different reaction and response to the disease than first proposed. I think it is important to know that.

But I am cool with the Mods doing whatever.

Stay safe people.
                  Puffer, you definitely don't need to apologize to anybody. The article you linked in your original post is probably still the most comprehensive and valuable report I've read since this all began, and personally, I'm grateful to you for that. And of course, it makes absolute sense to have a place for our RR community to discuss this virus which has a) turned all of our lives upsidedown and b) temporarily obliterated the reason we all gather here to converse in the first place: Raptors basketball.

I agree with what you said in closing, Puff. --- Stay safe people.

(Also... maybe... Stay responsible and well-informed people... -- though I recognize that that's perhaps a bit of a subjective matter, even if it is to my occasional dismay and astonishment.)

Comment

• Stay safe people and don’t take health advice from Trump unless you are really, really stupid or suicidal. Actually his health advice might be the ultimate cure for stupidity.

Comment

• https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/c...nada-1.5542890 1 in 10 Canadians believes a coronavirus conspiracy theory, survey suggests

Comment

• Wow, that's a high number. I would argue 1 in 10 people probably believe everything is a conspiracy.

Comment

• We all want this to go away quickly with as little economic damage as possible. There are lots of hands off/ keep things open approaches being taken by Sweden and countries in the Far East. Sweden should be the most interesting. The other Scandinavian countries are very much in suppress mode and the statistical comparisons should be quite reliable with similar, though somewhat different, cultures. It will be interesting to see how the economies and deaths of each group will shake out, and what sacrifices the general populace’s will be willing to endure. The current results favour shutting things down... but this could change over the years. There is also the question of protecting the care providers so we don’t get into the Quebec situation of the premier having to ask them to return to work to try and keep facilities open.
                          It’s the conspiracy theories that are somewhat disconcerting. The fact that only 10 % of the population is buying into them is somewhat surprising. I thought it would be worse. There is hope yet...

Comment

• I wonder if the reason that only ~10% of the population believes in a Covid-19 conspiracy is because maybe, a lot of people enjoy either:

A) The new found ability to work from home (where employers said it wasn't possible)
                            B) Being paid to stay home (those who are receiving either full paychecks from their companies and don't have to work, or those who are getting EI / CERB)

There are a lot of people who are completely fine and/or love the idea of staying home (and getting a regular paycheck), regardless of the orders to stay home and/or social distance.

Maybe, because it doesn't personally affect some (a lot?) of people, they don't see what the issue is with everything except except for essential stores being closed.

Comment

• meductic wrote: View Post
                              We all want this to go away quickly with as little economic damage as possible. There are lots of hands off/ keep things open approaches being taken by Sweden and countries in the Far East. Sweden should be the most interesting. The other Scandinavian countries are very much in suppress mode and the statistical comparisons should be quite reliable with similar, though somewhat different, cultures. It will be interesting to see how the economies and deaths of each group will shake out, and what sacrifices the general populace’s will be willing to endure. The current results favour shutting things down... but this could change over the years. There is also the question of protecting the care providers so we don’t get into the Quebec situation of the premier having to ask them to return to work to try and keep facilities open.
                              It’s the conspiracy theories that are somewhat disconcerting. The fact that only 10 % of the population is buying into them is somewhat surprising. I thought it would be worse. There is hope yet...
                              Considering how little we know about the virus, Sweden is a nation highly at risk. They're aiming for herd immunity against something science can't even prove one can be immune from or for how long(some guessed only a year or two). There are over 30 strains now, the virus mutates very rapidly. It's what is causing pessimistic forecasts from some people in the medical world when it comes to a vaccine. I hope it works out for Saeden but it feels like a mistake.

Comment

• suspenders wrote: View Post
                                I wonder if the reason that only ~10% of the population believes in a Covid-19 conspiracy is because maybe, a lot of people enjoy either:

A) The new found ability to work from home (where employers said it wasn't possible)
                                B) Being paid to stay home (those who are receiving either full paychecks from their companies and don't have to work, or those who are getting EI / CERB)

There are a lot of people who are completely fine and/or love the idea of staying home (and getting a regular paycheck), regardless of the orders to stay home and/or social distance.

Maybe, because it doesn't personally affect some (a lot?) of people, they don't see what the issue is with everything except except for essential stores being closed.
                                You hit the nail on the head. A lot of people support it, because they're getting paid to be lazy, and don't have to feel guilty about it. Even if its bare minimum money. I know a handful of those in my own life.

I would love to see the stats of people who prefer this new life to their old life. I bet its more than 1 in 10.

One other thing... "is covid a conspiracy" is so fucking vague with again no context. You can believe covid is real, and a threat, and still believe you're being manipulated by facets of government or organizations. I think its actually a stretch to think there's ZERO manipulation or lies going on here. Did China lie? Most of you believe that at least. Is that a conspiracy? I would say so.
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X