Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    They had every single one of us in March thinking we were all gonna get it, feel symptoms, and it would be hundreds of thousands of deaths, everybody would know people who died. Admit it. That was the story. I'm thankful as hell that never happened of course, but when can we start calling this a fucking sham? And don't start with the second wave BS.
    I mean ... you can call it a sham all you want ... I don't think you'll get much support there though. I personally don't understand how you can't connect the fact that we took extreme measures, and therefore the worst case scenario was never realized. That isn't some victory (if you can call it that) for anti-quarantine crowd; that is a victory for those that took the warnings seriously and continue to do so.

And pre-tell, why do you consider the second wave "BS"? It's a thing ...

Like I've been saying, if you want to go out and start hugging strangers and ignoring the social distancing directives, by all means, go nuts, just leave the rest of us that take it seriously alone when we're trying to avoid you.
    Last edited by Joey; Wed May 6, 2020, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• B.C is announcing how they are going to reopen today. As the first province to have confirmed cases. They probably could have done this a week ago things have looked good here for a couple weeks but held off to make sure.
      Hope the first stage includes provincial parks as i have been fending to do some fishing and go for some hikes that are not in city parks.

Also hope they put the basketball hoops back on places they took them away. I have seen kids playing on playground equipment for the last week so i think i should be able to go shoot some jumpers on the weekend. Im ready to postertize some teenagers at the local park
      To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
        In Russia, police are currently investigating three separate incidents where doctors have mysteriously fallen out of hospital windows. Two of them have died; one remains hospitalized.

The incidents have begun to raise questions about their working conditions
        Behind the face masks was two stressed-out Russian doctors struggling in this country’s coronavirus pandemic. The one on the left says they haven’t got enough protection. Now Russian police are accusing him of spreading fake news.

https://www.nbc29.com/2020/05/06/rus...navirus-fight/

in soviet russia complaints about corona much more dangerous than corona. 3 doctors fall out of windows
        Doctors overreacting to overhyped flu OR Government is trying to act like everything is fine and everything is under control...
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          overhyped flu

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post

Translation: “I personally don’t know anyone who has been sick or died from this. It’s therefore impossible to believe this has been a big issue. I’ll completely ignore the many personal accounts of doctors, nurses, personal care workers, slaughterhouse employees, grocery store workers, etc. because I don’t personally know any of them. I’ll also completely ignore that many nonLTC residents have died, many without underlying conditions, and that even now, new characteristics of the virus continue to be exposed, like children with auto-immune disease symptoms, etc. that indicate we still don’t know much about it. Because I’m smart, and if it doesn’t impact me directly, why should I care?”
            Of course its a real life virus. I understand there's been outbreaks, but just as there's flu outbreaks every year. I live right near the Cargill outbreak in Alberta with 921 cases. They had 1 death, a 67 year old lady, Rest her soul. So again, about 0.1% fatality.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

were any mitigation measures implemented during this timeline that would reduce the actual number of cases from those predicted by models?
              The models and scenarios were still coming out long AFTER the social distancing was implemented. They never presented any best case scenarios at the time, just headline grabbing numbers, and we're at about 10% of what they were touting at the time. But of course, its just convenient to call every region a resounding social distancing success, despite the fact, I mean, cmon, its all too easy to still catch the virus on any given day if we're being real
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

I'm just saying..if you think this virus is like a flu then those doctors are killing themselves over nothing. But if virus is real threat then it's Russian government silencing them. And knowing Russia I think we know the answer
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

The models and scenarios were still coming out long AFTER the social distancing was implemented. They never presented any best case scenarios at the time, just headline grabbing numbers, and we're at about 10% of what they were touting at the time. But of course, its just convenient to call every region a resounding social distancing success, despite the fact, I mean, cmon, its all too easy to still catch the virus on any given day if we're being real
                  One, discount the models. Modelling an event like this is impossible. The real reason to take action was simple self-preservation: we knew next to nothing about it and the tail-risk was massive.

The interesting thing will be whether what we have done has really mattered much at all. The efficacy of social distancing is obvious in theory but is not going to be easy to prove in fact. Hopefully, that analysis is done free of bias but I suspect it won't be.

Comment

I have a better gif.

Last edited by The Great One; Wed May 6, 2020, 03:03 PM.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post

Sure, but that’s not the point. You can argue that the economy is more important long term than “a few deaths” short term, but that’s different from thinking the virus is no big deal in the first place, because you personally don’t know anyone who has suffered from it.
                      all i m saying is

if you were forced to choose between getting punched in the face and getting shot in the face, what would you choose?

if you chose getting punched in the face, saving the economy would have been the right choice

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

I'm just saying..if you think this virus is like a flu then those doctors are killing themselves over nothing. But if virus is real threat then it's Russian government silencing them. And knowing Russia I think we know the answer
                        But I don't think the doctors would consider it "an overhyped flu" so therefore I'm not sure what weight that really carries in speculating on their deaths.

Comment

• Kawhisexual wrote: View Post

all i m saying is

if you were forced to choose between getting punched in the face and getting shot in the face, what would you choose?
                          Odd analogy ... in this instance, 4,000+ people have died from this 'punch in the face' ... wonder what their preference would be?

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

One, discount the models. Modelling an event like this is impossible. The real reason to take action was simple self-preservation: we knew next to nothing about it and the tail-risk was massive.

The interesting thing will be whether what we have done has really mattered much at all. The efficacy of social distancing is obvious in theory but is not going to be easy to prove in fact. Hopefully, that analysis is done free of bias but I suspect it won't be.
                            I was not part of the "overhyped flu" crowd but I do think we desperately need to start easing up on the blanket approaches and try to be a bit more precise in interventions so that we can try and avoid some of the nasty effects of the lockdown, particularly the delay of elective procedures and the like. The biggest thing is to invest heavily in PPE supply/production as well as screening for those entering hospitals / care homes.

In the medium term I think pairing that with a general reduction in close contact with strangers by around 50% of normal might be sufficient to keep it in check and would probably allow a fairly "normal" lifestyle for most. This will hurt people a lot more in the big city (transit, city lifestyle, etc.) than where I am, I suspect.

I agree with you and am concerned that the post-mortem on the measures we took will be highly politicized by both sides.
                            Last edited by KHD; Wed May 6, 2020, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Odd analogy ... in this instance, 4,000+ people have died from this 'punch in the face' ... wonder what their preference would be?
                              but... what about people who went homeless tho... lost their businesses and so on

losing sense of purpose in life is incredibly difficult

if infected by coronavirus, the person is likely to have purpose in a sense that the person would want to survive

but if you lose ur business and place to stay without much hope moving forward, isn't that devastating

Comment

• most importantly, we are now at a point where we can't even get amazon prime deliveries on time, like it literally takes about a month

there is absolutely no way we can get vaccine on time, maybe not even this year

at the same time, the economy will open anyways because every countries understand that lockdown has already caused more damage than the coronavirus itself

Comment

Working...
                                X