Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Whether you pay government workers with the emergency CERB funding program or continue to pay the civil service their regular salary it’s just a different vehicle for distributing taxpayer money in the public sector.

No axe axe to grind here on paying the federal and provincial civil service money.

There will be some kind of recalibration by Ottawa and the provinces on how large the civil service is once the cold light of day shines on a massively reduced tax haul this year and next.

There may actually be a riot if Ottawa hikes private sector taxation at the personal and business levels to pay for the incredibly generous pensions of the civil service.
    Yeah, no difference or maybe marginal difference from the tax payer perspective, but from consumer confidence and overall economic impact there's a significant impact to keeping people in their regular jobs through a time like this. Everything I've read from actual economists argue for stimulus spending rather than austerity cuts right now. It is going to cost us either way (and shouldn't be taken as a carte blanche to spend spend spend), but the principle of maintaining economic confidence & stability where possible makes sense to me.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...at/5072004002/
      release criminals to protect against corona

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ch-coronaviru/
      criminals purposely get corona to get released

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...lling-70162402
      released for corona the day before, suspected of new murder next day

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9413556.html
      arrest non criminals for breaking house arrest, and put them in prison

the aristocrats.

Comment

• https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/11/russia-to-end-national-covid-19-lockdown-as-cases-hit-record-high

Vladimir Putin has announced an end to Russia’s six-week national lockdown despite a record jump in coronavirus cases, as European countries eased their own restrictions by reopening some shops and schools.

Putin’s decision to reboot the national economy came despite a surge in new cases. On Monday Russia overtook the UK and Italy for number of confirmed infections, reaching 221,234. There had been 11,656 new infections in the previous 24 hours.
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Whether you pay government workers with the emergency CERB funding program or continue to pay the civil service their regular salary it’s just a different vehicle for distributing taxpayer money in the public sector.

No axe axe to grind here on paying the federal and provincial civil service money.

There will be some kind of recalibration by Ottawa and the provinces on how large the civil service is once the cold light of day shines on a massively reduced tax haul this year and next.

There may actually be a riot if Ottawa hikes private sector taxation at the personal and business levels to pay for the incredibly generous pensions of the civil service.
          Dude, Ottawa? Taxes are going up everywhere next year: municipal, provincial, federal. Anyone in this country who pays income tax and/or owns property is going to get hammered by all levels of government. Hell, Calgary city council is increasing taxes during the shutdown. Yep, you read that right. If you are rich (i.e. have a job) start saving everything you can now.

Comment

• get ready for some DNP-COVID

Comment

• who is the player you can see having "Covid Game"?

Comment

• Get quarantined out of getting able to play and potentially infecting your teammates is some major league incentive to be as careful as possible. I really hope they make it back to close out the season. The league would probably do a decent job of communicating just how serious they are taking this and educate people on a few tangential topics (communities of colour being hit exceptionally hard, etc).

Comment

• Well, Canada just hit 1/5 of 1% of the population in total confirmed cases since this started....1/5 of 1%
                  Just 2% of the leftover <1% active cases are deemed serious.

Now they're saying these numbers could still double in the next 6 weeks if they DON'T open up. What's the alternative?

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                    who is the player you can see having "Covid Game"?
                    Manu
                    To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Manu

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                        Well, Canada just hit 1/5 of 1% of the population in total confirmed cases since this started....1/5 of 1%
                        Just 2% of the leftover <1% active cases are deemed serious.

Now they're saying these numbers could still double in the next 6 weeks if they DON'T open up. What's the alternative?
                        There isn't one. But you have to remember that "Canada" isn't really a good measure. The only areas of the country that have any issues now are Ontario and Quebec and even there it is certain locations predominantly affected.

Comment

• BC is doing well. Only 7 new cases yesterday. Trudeau just now is talking about reopening the border. We're not ready. The situation in the US is a shitshow, he knows that right? Dr. Henry says it's too early to reopen the border. If Trudeau open the border next week, I swear to god....
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                            BC is doing well. Only 7 new cases yesterday. Trudeau just now is talking about reopening the border. We're not ready. The situation in the US is a shitshow, he knows that right? Dr. Henry says it's too early to reopen the border. If Trudeau open the border next week, I swear to god....
                            I dont care if the border stays closed all summer. We can get good across the only thing is tourism that would benefit. I would rather have a functioning economy and sacrifice American tourist. On Van island right now there is 5 active cases. Last thing i want is a swarm of americans coming from wash state. We could essentially isolate from the mainland and U.S and just go back to business as usually right now and everything would be fine.
                            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• My feeling is if Canada reopens it's not because of supporting "small Canadian business owners". It would probably be because of US-Canada trade.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                                BC is doing well. Only 7 new cases yesterday. Trudeau just now is talking about reopening the border. We're not ready. The situation in the US is a shitshow, he knows that right? Dr. Henry says it's too early to reopen the border. If Trudeau open the border next week, I swear to god....
                                First, the vast majority of US states are fine. The "shitshow" is mostly limited to NY and NJ.

Second, Henry is a public health official there to consult with and offer advice to the BC government on her area of expertise. She does not make decisions for anyone and her opinions and views need to be taken in context of the other serious concerns that affect public policy decisions. Her concern is the virus but society has a thousand other concerns that need to be addressed as well.

I don't know whether the border should be opened (it's a very complex risk analysis) but the idea that the decision should be made by unelected bureaucrats who have very narrow world views focused on a single-problem is absurd. Too many of you put far too much faith in the technocrats who have fucked this up from day one.

Comment

Working...
                                X