Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• https://ca.news.yahoo.com/manitoba-p...140004696.html
        "A high debt load, a potential rise in interest rates and a possible credit rating downgrade.

Those factors appear to be behind Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister's drive to control costs and have many public-sector workers accept reduced hours or temporary layoffs during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Progressive Conservative premier has rejected demands from unions, opposition parties, pundits and some economists to maintain public-sector jobs in order to prevent the recession from being even deeper. Protests have also grown to include a weekly "honk-a-thon," in which people drive around the legislature blaring their horns while practising physical distancing."

the public sector too ohhhhh

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Just applied for the student help on Friday. Just graduated but jobs in my field are a waste land right now.
          I happened to find a subreddit the week before the application actually dropped. People on there are ridiculous. Their pissed cause part of the stipulation is that you have to actually be actively looking for a job, asking if they can get the increased payout meant for disabled student if they have anxiety etc.

I just want a damm job not to be reliant on a poverty wage level pay out
          Students today don't realize that literally everyone has a modicum of social anxiety and that it doesn't have to be crippling, but a significant portion of them are antisocial and don't know how to challenge themselves in different social settings. All you hear at least at UBC is that students don't have enough support and there needs to be more counselors and that the university doesn't care about them. They haven't figured out yet that life isn't always a walk in the park.

And as for the CESB and the requirement for looking for a job, I think I would prefer a straight-up UBI at a lower rate. Give it to everyone, don't incentivize people to not work, just give them some money to help them out and for those who are better off, to spend. If you don't want to work, something like $1000 a month is not enough to survive. You're probably just going to spend it all.

Comment

• Did anyone read what Jeff Passan wrote on ESPN yesterday about MLB's proposed healthy and safery protocols for avoiding coronavirus?

No spitting, high fives, fist bumps, hugs, smokeless tobacco, chewing of sunflower seeds, no taxis or ubers. Those are EASY, no? like what am I missing here? I'm not a big baseball guy, but I watch it from time to time. One thing that I'll never understand is spitting. A baseball player probably spit 100x or more a game. Like, why? it's fucking disgusting. I'm also pretty sure these dudes can survive playing without chewing sunflower seeds, no?

Social distancing? Unlike other sports, there’s a lot of social distancing already in a baseball game, every fielder is definitely > 6 ft apart. Create space in the dugout, easy. Get robot umps, can’t hold runners on anymore etc. Like, what is so ambitious about it?

The most important thing is testing. That's it.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• I watched UFC last night and it's like watching any other UFC fight. Grappling is still allowed. The main event was mostly a grappling match - well Overeem completely dominated Harris on the ground. Their blood was on each other's faces but somehow you can't high five in baseball or basketball?
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

Students today don't realize that literally everyone has a modicum of social anxiety and that it doesn't have to be crippling, but a significant portion of them are antisocial and don't know how to challenge themselves in different social settings. All you hear at least at UBC is that students don't have enough support and there needs to be more counselors and that the university doesn't care about them. They haven't figured out yet that life isn't always a walk in the park.

And as for the CESB and the requirement for looking for a job, I think I would prefer a straight-up UBI at a lower rate. Give it to everyone, don't incentivize people to not work, just give them some money to help them out and for those who are better off, to spend. If you don't want to work, something like $1000 a month is not enough to survive. You're probably just going to spend it all.
                They CESB is only $1250 a month and you have to reapply every month. So it only works out to $315 a week or 7 dollars a hour if you had a 40 hour week. Its enough to help me pay my rent and maybe cover some grocery but still will eat into my savings month to month without work.
                I feel like the only people who will be happy just getting that and not working are those living with their parents without any expenses. In that case most people are probably going to spend that $ on beer partying with there other friends who also arnt working
                To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                  I watched UFC last night and it's like watching any other UFC fight. Grappling is still allowed. The main event was mostly a grappling match - well Overeem completely dominated Harris on the ground. Their blood was on each other's faces but somehow you can't high five in baseball or basketball?
                  Dana white is one of the few "commissioners" if you want to call him that to have the balls to pull this off. He just said fuck it we are going to make this work watch us. One guy tested positive for the roni the first fight back last saturday and they just scraped that fight and went ahead with the card. He may be laying a
                  bluleprint for other major sports while he's at it.
                  They only thing that may not working in the UFC model is that if a big name player tests postive, do they continue without him? Do they suspend that league till he recovers? Does the rest of game take place while that team wait to have a full roster again?
                  Their would have to be some agreed upon action that would happen if someone tests positive. I don't think the NBA stops the playoffs if Malcom Miller tests positive and cant be around the team, but what happens if James Harden gets it?

Comment

Dana white is one of the few "commissioners" if you want to call him that to have the balls to pull this off. He just said fuck it we are going to make this work watch us. One guy tested positive for the roni the first fight back last saturday and they just scraped that fight and went ahead with the card. He may be laying a
                    They only thing that may not working in the UFC model is that if a big name player tests postive, do they continue without him? Do they suspend that league till he recovers? Does the rest of game take place while that team wait to have a full roster again?
                    Their would have to be some agreed upon action that would happen if someone tests positive. I don't think the NBA stops the playoffs if Malcom Miller tests positive and cant be around the team, but what happens if James Harden gets it?
                    I think of the ucf situation as a control test. That jacare tested positive, if, big if, no one else at that event tests positive, we know that whatever they are doing is working.

If after 3 events none of the staff, refs, somehow extra bloodied than regular fighters, coaches etc. also have no infections it is definitely a blueprint on how to have the world's most healthiest people, plus broadcasters compete in empty arenas on television.

Comment

They’ll treat it like an injury: DNP - Corona.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

They’ll treat it like an injury: DNP - Corona.
                        But what if it's a teams superstar? Its 2 weeks off so essentially missing a whole series. I guess they would have to have agreement with all teams so Lebron and Lakers cants throw a fit if AD tests positive vs the clippers and league says the games must go on

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post

I think of the ucf situation as a control test. That jacare tested positive, if, big if, no one else at that event tests positive, we know that whatever they are doing is working.

If after 3 events none of the staff, refs, somehow extra bloodied than regular fighters, coaches etc. also have no infections it is definitely a blueprint on how to have the world's most healthiest people, plus broadcasters compete in empty arenas on television.
                          Ya and it's worth noting that jacare had someone sick in the family with it before he came. Testing everyone before they enter the "bubble" would make more sense.

Comment

• Common sense finally starting to see the light of day a bit:

https://nationalpost.com/news/busine...pening-economy

It's gonna be an uphill battle though. Too much fear-mongering over the past 2 months, too much exaggeration, too much bubble wrapping. There has been (and will continue to be for while) too many barriers and counter-incentives for people to actually work, live, think and take responsibility for themselves and their families.

A nanny-state paranoia made us wimpy and hysteric over the past few months, rather than fostering the courage, groundness, reason, and common sense necessary to maintain a stable/prosperous society. People's natural ability to assume reasonable risks in the face of adversity has been beaten out of them. Tamed with a government cheque.

It is said that 20% of people do 80% of the work in a society. For a while in Canada, it will be more like 10% doing 90% of it.

We'll get it back, but it's not gonna be overnight. Even with a clear understanding that the initial models were grossly exaggerated and wrong, and that our hospitals have just ~5% of the beds 'set aside' for covid, and are absolutely nowhere near being full let alone overrun, there will still be paranoia. After soon to be 4 full months since the first case in Canada, now clearly knowing the risk of hospitalization in the working age population is extremely low, there will still be a lot of mixed messages.

There will be Warriors doing real work, often with lack of full supplies, rallying the troops, encouraging people to get out work and live, doing the best they can in a changed world, and using common-sense. There will be local/provincial governments seeing their efforts and encouraging others to join them. They are the 10% referred to above.

However, there will also be people fighting them every step of the way. A combination of self-appointed safety sheriffs (paranoid cats spending more time worrying over the cleanliness of the plexi-glass than doing real work), local bureaucrats looking for TPS reports, vagabonds refusing to go to work even though they're needed and are ready to be paid, and cynics somehow trying to equate hard work to 'greed and profit'. Plus of course your higher levels of governments out of touch with realities on the ground, more worried about looking good on TV, 'being right", and covering their butts than actually making the economy and society recover. They'll sure have their roll of red tape ready.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                              Did anyone read what Jeff Passan wrote on ESPN yesterday about MLB's proposed healthy and safery protocols for avoiding coronavirus?

No spitting, high fives, fist bumps, hugs, smokeless tobacco, chewing of sunflower seeds, no taxis or ubers. Those are EASY, no? like what am I missing here? I'm not a big baseball guy, but I watch it from time to time. One thing that I'll never understand is spitting. A baseball player probably spit 100x or more a game. Like, why? it's fucking disgusting. I'm also pretty sure these dudes can survive playing without chewing sunflower seeds, no?

Social distancing? Unlike other sports, there’s a lot of social distancing already in a baseball game, every fielder is definitely > 6 ft apart. Create space in the dugout, easy. Get robot umps, can’t hold runners on anymore etc. Like, what is so ambitious about it?

The most important thing is testing. That's it.
                              Baseball is a weird sport for that; spitting and the dugout is absolutely littered with gatorade cups and sunflower seed bags etc. Like, how hard it it to use a garbage can in the dugout? But easier to leave the pigsty for some minimum wage guy to clean up after the game.

And baseball can't be played without throwing over/holding the runner on first. Slides into 2nd mean you're zero feet apart, catcher and batter (and ump) are less than 6 feet apart, guys in the dugout can sit 6 feet apart but they're constantly crossing in front of each other for the next batter, on deck etc; it really doesn't work if real protection is the goal. But at least there's so little maximum effort in baseball so little risk there from breathing hard

Comment

But what if it's a teams superstar? Its 2 weeks off so essentially missing a whole series. I guess they would have to have agreement with all teams so Lebron and Lakers cants throw a fit if AD tests positive vs the clippers and league says the games must go on
                                They either hide the test (if it's lebron, tinfoil hat on) or treat it like a flu where the player just can't compete.

Comment

Working...
                                X