Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Now that the total lockdowns have ended at places like Canadian Tire or Home Depot, you can see a lot less social distancing and a lot less masks than you see at the grocery stores and banks for instance. People are standing in the aisles trying to stand apart but perfectly content to socialize and catch up with their neighbours.

At the parks and waterfront, you realistically only see about 2/3 of the people social distancing the entire time.

Understandably, people are a bit sick of the lockdown and just want to get on living life with some normalcy. If there's going to be a spike before the potential Fall second wave, it will be this month (June)

Question I haven't seen answered: How long are asymptomatic carriers, contagious? 2 weeks, 4?
    I believe it's 2 weeks. I could be wrong but if it was 4 I think they would have people self-isolate for 4 weeks when flying into the country instead of 2.

Without getting into any reasoning underlying the big protests, they are massive gatherings, with people sometimes holding hands, hugging, or sometimes in some form of confrontational grappling. Statistically speaking, on crowds that big (especially in NYC), it's almost guaranteed that there are multiple asymptomatic carries in the crowd.

So this could actually be an unintended case study on the true impact (or lack thereof) of social distancing. If we see an abnormal spike in cases/hospitalizations in the places that had big protests, then we can say social distance has had an impact early on. If not, then it will be hard to justify it further.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Yup.

Cdn Tire had a social distancing lineup outside of maybe 10 people but once inside people were passing each other in the aisles, very few masks and lots of people stopping to socialize, trying to stay 6 feet apart. The panic of one way aisles and not passing each other int he grocery store aisles seems to have eased somewhat too. If the transmission threat is as real as it was a month ago, a spike is coming. If the threat really never was that likely (in terms of the person you're passing being contagious) it won't.

One gas station I went to was giving out free gloves to use the gas pumps. That went away too.
      Well, look, it's all unsustainable. I am laughing at all these proposed rules for schools in the fall. My sons will wear a mask for about 5 minutes and then they are done. No way they are going to wear one for 7 hours. No recess? No shared books? Bring your own toys? No sharing, no socializing? LOL. Right.

Comment

• I would imagine that if most of the world was self isolating for more than 14 days (many for 60 days+), that there would be far less asymptomatic carriers in those crowds. Weather is getting warmer too which might make it harder to spread even if there was a carrier.

In my town less and less people seem to care about social distancing, using masks, etc. Well all except for the local home hardware which seems like I'm entering a federal penitentiary.

Comment

• Yesterday, I went by a friends business (optometry) to do a short video for her to post on social media about re-opening. While there, a few clients came by to see her.

I think 1 or 2 had masks while others didn't have masks and were interacting less than 6 feet away.

A group of 5 or 6 people came in at once and they all had on masks at first, then quickly took them off and didn't adhere to any social distancing rules.

And of course, I've had similar experiences in grocery stores, etc. that others have already mentioned.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            I would imagine that if most of the world was self isolating for more than 14 days (many for 60 days+), that there would be far less asymptomatic carriers in those crowds. Weather is getting warmer too which might make it harder to spread even if there was a carrier.

In my town less and less people seem to care about social distancing, using masks, etc. Well all except for the local home hardware which seems like I'm entering a federal penitentiary.
            There's a big disconnect between general population (folks like you), and "the message" still being put out. It's starting to be tuned out. This weekend, I had a small get together Friday, another Saturday, and a round of golf with friends Sunday. The topic of covid 19 rarely came up, and when it did, it was usually some apathetic comment. But then I come to work today and its "signs, signs, everywhere the signs" "masks mandatory...6 feet mandatory.." Big business, this covid business.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• The only habit that looks like it will stick is using Purell, because it's fairly easy to do. I find myself using it like 10 times a day.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                The only habit that looks like it will stick is using Purell, because it's fairly easy to do. I find myself using it like 10 times a day.
                I was also avoiding touching public bathroom door handles before it was cool.

Comment

The only habit that looks like it will stick is using Purell, because it's fairly easy to do. I find myself using it like 10 times a day.
                  I am hoping the other one is that when people are sick they still home if it is possible. Sometimes you have to got to work but a lot of office workers, for example, we now know can work from home easily and if they are hacking up a lung they should stay there.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I am hoping the other one is that when people are sick they still home if it is possible. Sometimes you have to got to work but a lot of office workers, for example, we now know can work from home easily and if they are hacking up a lung they should stay there.
                    covid exposed western culture of "tough it out"...they TELL YOU to stay home if you're sick, but until recently, they usually looked down on you if you did.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Me too! I've been doing the paper towel thing for the last 4-5 years.

Comment

• I know handshakes are totally gone now. In business meetings that used to be a norm. Might have to go with the old school fist bump or a wave hi instead.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          I know handshakes are totally gone now. In business meetings that used to be a norm. Might have to go with the old school fist bump or a wave hi instead.
                          Sometimes people offer me an elbow to bump. And then I give them the headbutt.

Comment

There's a big disconnect between general population (folks like you), and "the message" still being put out. It's starting to be tuned out. This weekend, I had a small get together Friday, another Saturday, and a round of golf with friends Sunday. The topic of covid 19 rarely came up, and when it did, it was usually some apathetic comment. But then I come to work today and its "signs, signs, everywhere the signs" "masks mandatory...6 feet mandatory.." Big business, this covid business.
                            I think that's the point I was getting at, the message "be afraid, be verrrrrry afraid" is being tuned out.
                            To us a sports analogy, the coach has lost the room.

PS Sobeys was sold out of the toiler paper they had on sale lol

Comment

I think (and hope) a few of these safety measure will stick around for every flu season
                              Stay home if you're sick, don't have habitual useless meetings for the sake of having meetings, use video calling where possible, maybe less hand shaking if not necessary and yes, more hand washing (bathrooms) and hand sanitizing at every elevator/office.

Comment

But are you the guy who throws his paper towel on the floor when you use it to open the door on the way out?

Comment

Working...
                                X