Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

No player is going to die. The NBA is more worried about pop, dantoni and Gentry.
    How do u know? this virus is still an unknown, that's what makes it scary. There were reports of kids dying in South Korea, some are saying 30-39 year olds are just at risk as 60+ yr olds.

Comment

• Sonny wrote: View Post

How do u know? this virus is still an unknown, that's what makes it scary. There were reports of kids dying in South Korea, some are saying 30-39 year olds are just at risk as 60+ yr olds.
      Until that's shown to be true by stats, it's not.
      "Reports of kids dying in South America" is not statistically significant. No one is saying someone under 50 or 40 or 30 or 20 hasn't been sick, just that they are generally not a risk for the worst symptoms or death.

Statistically, the VAST majority are 60+
      "Some are saying" doesn't cut it....

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Until that's shown to be true by stats, it's not.
        "Reports of kids dying in South America" is not statistically significant. No one is saying someone under 50 or 40 or 30 or 20 hasn't been sick, just that they are generally not a risk for the worst symptoms or death.

Statistically, the VAST majority are 60+
        "Some are saying" doesn't cut it....
        This was billed as the next plague. Mind you it's still early and there are many unknowns. But we are well underway. There have been 10 million confirmed cases worldwide. With the world population at 7.6 billion, that means 0.13% of the world have caught it. With 500,000 confirmed deaths, that means it's killed a whopping 0.0066% of the world population. If I were a sinister person, I would say that someone (Groups of people) are using this to kill the economy and seize political power, but what do I know...

To put things in perspective, it's estimated that 150,000 people die every day in the world. So far the virus has killed almost 4 days worth of regular deaths.
        Last edited by Fuchan; Sat Jun 27, 2020, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

And yet in Europe countries are beginning to hit stride.
          Shorter strides mind you but strides.
          The FIFA teams are playing, air travel is permitted, restaurants and stores are open. Case counts are stable.

At current course and speed the US may have herd immunity before a vaccine is available.
          Is Ontario still fairly closed for business? Here in Alberta we're getting a lot closer to "normal"
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Is Ontario still fairly closed for business? Here in Alberta we're getting a lot closer to "normal"
            Most of ON JUST opened bar and restaurant patios with social distancing, hair dressers/barbers etc. Cdn Tire/Home Depot/Rona etc has been fully open for a few weeks. I haven't looked ot see but I believe all the smaller stores are now allowed to open with safety measures in place. Walmart of course, was always open as an essential service lol

Comment

• Fuchan wrote: View Post

This was billed as the next plague. Mind you it's still early and there are many unknowns. But we are well underway. There have been 10 million confirmed cases worldwide. With the world population at 7.6 billion, that means 0.13% of the world have caught it. With 500,000 confirmed deaths, that means it's killed a whopping 0.0066% of the world population. If I were a sinister person, I would say that someone (Groups of people) are using this to kill the economy and seize political power, but what do I know...

To put things in perspective, it's estimated that 150,000 people die every day in the world. So far the virus has killed almost 4 days worth of regular deaths.
              Remember when they said 2.5M Americans were about to die?

Comment

Remember when they said 2.5M Americans were about to die?
                That number was guesstimated as worst case scenario for the entire breadth of the pandemic, if the United States failed to do anything at all. Some states have implemented measures that have slowed the infection rate, but others.... haven't. US is still riding the first wave, have over 125k deaths per Johns Hopkins University, and are nowhere near having a cohesive containment or testing strategy. While it's a long shot, don't count the US out of being able to hit that number.

Comment

• Fuchan wrote: View Post

It's funny, I was cleaning out the office where I work, my old boss retired and left a ton of shit behind. In it I found an old pandemic handbook for the swine flu. It was talking about the precautions needed etc in the event it comes to Canada bad.

Throughout the entire 40 page memo, there was NOTHING in there about "social distancing" or staying home if you're well, or 6 feet distance, or flattening curves, nothing. Now those are modern lexicon catchphrases. It was mostly sanitization, stay home if you're sick, etc. Possibly closing borders. Really basic, sensical stuff.

when I get watching TV on regular cable I'm reminded of how much we're being programmed. Every other commercial is people clapping at you, for front line workers..or web videos of families "staying home"
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post

That number was guesstimated as worst case scenario for the entire breadth of the pandemic, if the United States failed to do anything at all. Some states have implemented measures that have slowed the infection rate, but others.... haven't. US is still riding the first wave, have over 125k deaths per Johns Hopkins University, and are nowhere near having a cohesive containment or testing strategy. While it's a long shot, don't count the US out of being able to hit that number.
                    I understand that but I didn't believe that number then and I don't believe it now. Pure and simple hype and hysteria for the masses. They have a decent handle on those most at-risk and the death total per thousand will continue to drop even as overall case numbers rise. jmo
                    Last edited by G__Deane; Sat Jun 27, 2020, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

G__Deane wrote: View Post

Most of ON JUST opened bar and restaurant patios with social distancing, hair dressers/barbers etc. Cdn Tire/Home Depot/Rona etc has been fully open for a few weeks. I haven't looked ot see but I believe all the smaller stores are now allowed to open with safety measures in place. Walmart of course, was always open as an essential service lol
                      Its kinda open... Restaurants are limited to outdoor patio seating only. No walk ups. Gotta have a rezzy. So if its cold or it rains or your business doesn't have a patio then its not that great because you can't go inside to eat. Theyll pack it for you to take home.

Bars are the same... just less loud cuz there is only half the people on their patios.

Grocery stores are totally normal. No real line ups during the day.. but lineups on the usual days.. Thursday Nights.. Saturday and Sunday you line up to get in. No masks are required. Less than 1 in 10 people wear masks in my grocery store.

Malls just reopened.. no idea if the folks who go to malls are OK with whatever is happening in them.

No serious daycare capacity is really available. If you don't have daycare its hard to give the option to corporate canada to open the office towers for a staggered return of people to downtown offices in Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton or Windsor. No daycare... no broader office openings. Thinking that decision to accept higher density in daycares will be tied to back to school in September.

Getting your hair cut is the same but your barber has to dress up in a space suit with a mask and a plastic shield. I think there is a real biz opportunity for a mobile hair cuts for men or women.Pay a couple bucks more but its right in the house.

LCBO, The Beer Store and StoreFront Cannibis never missed a beat...They soldier on through.

Ontario is sorta open ....
                      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                      - TGO

Comment

• so much for reopening economy
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

so much for reopening economy
                          blame it on these geniuses

Comment

41 States showing massively increased cases. FL closing beaches again. TX at 100% IC unit capacity. This time around, many States showing ~50% of cases are 50 years old and younger.

And we are just starting to loosen the same restrictions they did.

I still don't think many sports will complete their seasons unless they each team wants to play short a few players every game
                            There are no historically large public protests going on in Canada. No one is really giving it much attention but the protests had to have had a huge impact on the surge in the US.

Comment

• Well, separate protests in Toronto reportedly had "thousands" with some definitely not wearing masks and virtually none social distancing so I guess we'll see. But you're right, it wasn't 10 or 20 thousand.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

There are no historically large public protests going on in Canada. No one is really giving it much attention but the protests had to have had a huge impact on the surge in the US.
                                https://nationalpost.com/news/why-di...study-suggests
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X