Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Just read it, interesting, a couple of thoughts:

- There's still huge variations in the best case/worst case possible scenarios, even just in number of people infected. There's still so much unknown.
    - Seems pretty noteworthy the average age of death for COVID is basically the same as our average lifespan
    - CDC currently has COVID deaths averaging 2.6 additional causes. Only 6% listing COVID as only cause. (I'm still not 100% sure how to take this. These people were alive, got COVID, and died. Yes they had other conditions, but they were still alive with their other conditions. How about some info on the terminal probability of the cormorbidities? Were these people likely to die in the next 3-6 months anyway? Or were they living out several years with other conditions, got COVID, and died?) Anyway, it's generally very old, very sick people who are dying from COVID. Seems like a more targeted public health response should be easy to implement to address the vast majority of risk.
    The comorbidity issues noted by CDC are basically congruent with the data from Italy. Only 4% of deaths had no reported comorbidities, and the median # of comorbidities was 3.

https://www.epicentro.iss.it/en/coro..._july_2020.pdf

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post

my cynical opinion at this point is that public health officials by and large got lazy in the string of good years where all they really had to do was appear at some events and send a few tweets promoting exercise and smoking cessation.

They seem to have largely forgotten that they actually get paid the big bucks to make difficult choices about balancing the human costs during actual time-sensitive issues like epidemics. Moreover, the response that has been taken didn't even actually work. Nursing homes still got fucking hammered, like anyone who's ever been to one would expect.

The level of absolute bed-shitting that has happened in this field is a national disgrace.
      There's maybe 1 local MOH in ontario (Kingston) who seems to actually have his shit together enough to prevent the actual dangers of this pandemic.
      The funniest thing to me is in Calgary right now where there is actual panic among city leaders.

So, we were told to "flatten the curve" - the whole point of which was to spread cases out over time to prevent a run on the health system. We did that. We destroyed our economy but we did it. Now, things are opening back up and there are cases again and our local leaders have lost their minds. You idiots, not only was this inevitable, it is expressly what the policies you implemented were designed to achieve. It just shows that not only do these people have no idea what they are doing, they don't even have enough common sense or critical thinking skills to make basic logical connections.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

The funniest thing to me is in Calgary right now where there is actual panic among city leaders.

So, we were told to "flatten the curve" - the whole point of which was to spread cases out over time to prevent a run on the health system. We did that. We destroyed our economy but we did it. Now, things are opening back up and there are cases again and our local leaders have lost their minds. You idiots, not only was this inevitable, it is expressly what the policies you implemented were designed to achieve. It just shows that not only do these people have no idea what they are doing, they don't even have enough common sense or critical thinking skills to make basic logical connections.

I mean, general lockdowns have been contrary to pandemic response advice throughout all of pre-2020 history. You can find CDC and WHO guidance documents published as recently as mid-2010s about how to respond to respiratory epidemics of this nature, and they all recommend against general lockdown due to the extreme societal costs. I have no idea what happened to these agencies this year.

Unfortunately holding such opinions publicly would lump me in to the "denier" crowd, which is equally as stupid as the "lockdown forever" crowd.

Comment

• Sailors aboard an offshore supply vessel based in St. John's are worried for their safety after the provincial government approved four American technicians to join the ship without self-isolating upon entering the province.

Several crew members on the Maersk Nexus have opposed the company's decision to bring in the workers from Oil States Industries to join them as the ship heads to Quebec for repairs next month.

Oil States Industries has several bases in Texas, where COVID-19 is surging at a rate rivalled only by Florida.
          https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5657698#comments-1.5657698

How frequent is this happening in Canada? The lack of isolation doesn't make any sense.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5657698#comments-1.5657698

How frequent is this happening in Canada? The lack of isolation doesn't make any sense.
            essential services (including probably thousands of truck drivers) have been crossing the border every single day without isolation since the very beginning.

Comment

essential services (including probably thousands of truck drivers) have been crossing the border every single day without isolation since the very beginning.
              This is different. These are technicians who are travelling with a ships crew from NL to QC. This isn't a trucker coming across, delivering and going back.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

This is different. These are technicians who are travelling with a ships crew from NL to QC. This isn't a trucker coming across, delivering and going back.
                yes, and services like that have been exempted where it was deemed necessary. All i'm saying is that it has been going on most of the time.

Comment

I mean, general lockdowns have been contrary to pandemic response advice throughout all of pre-2020 history. You can find CDC and WHO guidance documents published as recently as mid-2010s about how to respond to respiratory epidemics of this nature, and they all recommend against general lockdown due to the extreme societal costs. I have no idea what happened to these agencies this year.

Unfortunately holding such opinions publicly would lump me in to the "denier" crowd, which is equally as stupid as the "lockdown forever" crowd.
                  Science and reason no longer matter. Look at what is happening in the US with schooling "pods". A mindless, unworkable effort born of mania because in certain circles you cannot push for schools to re-open or else you want to kill children. Meanwhile, the wealthy kids will be going to private school as normal leaving the rest of the kids even further behind and at greater disadvantages

Locally, our childless mayor is now openly fighting with our childless premier over the school re-opening plan and trying to see if the city can require 5 and 6 year olds to wear masks for 7 hours a day at school. Notedly, the mayor did not care about kids getting sick when 2 years ago the flu was raging through local schools.

Our public policy-makers have taken on the mindset of upper-middle class white women, which, if you know any upper-middle class white women, is a recipe for the disaster that has indeed occurred.

Comment

• Researchers in Germany have found that army sniffer dogs can discern between samples from coronavirus-infected and healthy patients. So high is the level of accuracy, they hope this can be used in real-life scenarios.
                    https://m.dw.com/en/german-sniffer-d...rus/a-54300863

Comment

• They've been doing this for certain cancers for years

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

They've been doing this for certain cancers for years
                        Yeah.

Comment

• 4 Miami Marlins players test positive. Delaying flight and may miss their own "home opener"
                          -still think they won't be able to finish the MLB season at least with integrity.

Hopefully the NBA bubble works better.

But Lou Williams shows how the league is just a Lemon Pepper BBQ wing away from a similar situation ...
                          Last edited by G__Deane; Mon Jul 27, 2020, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• Clippers coach Doc Rivers was asked about the photos of Williams and his journey after leaving Orlando.

"I can't share much with his journey. I wasn't on that journey with him," Rivers said before the Clippers' scrimmage Saturday. "But he's back here, I can tell you that much. You know, obviously those [pictures] got out, and that's something that we obviously didn't enjoy seeing or like."

So they didn't enjoy seeing the pictures got out or the fact Lou went to a strip club .... where no "entertainers" were.....

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                              Clippers coach Doc Rivers was asked about the photos of Williams and his journey after leaving Orlando.

"I can't share much with his journey. I wasn't on that journey with him," Rivers said before the Clippers' scrimmage Saturday. "But he's back here, I can tell you that much. You know, obviously those [pictures] got out, and that's something that we obviously didn't enjoy seeing or like."

So they didn't enjoy seeing the pictures got out or the fact Lou went to a strip club .... where no "entertainers" were.....
                              The peer pressure on Lou will be severe. It won't just be his Clippers teammates.... it will be the entire NBA brotherhood who sacrificed their own personal lives to be locked up in the bubble.

Comment

• EUROPE is on alert as coronavirus cases are surging sparking fears of a potential second wave.

France has warned the progress in the fight against coronavirus has been "erased", and meanwhile Britain closed its air bridge to Spain due to a spike in cases.
                                https://www.the-sun.com/news/1202119...-france-spain/

Comment

Working...
                                X