Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you do with your day today without sports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simmons and rusillo had a discussion on the NBA returning on the BS pod this week. some of it was rampant speculation and some of it was more "what i'm hearing is", as both of them are pretty plugged in.

what i gleaned from it is that the NBA is seriously looking at a 70 game season, which is important from a TV money perspective, and a fairly standard playoffs (if you can call playing games in one or two cities without fans fairly standard) occurring from last week of june/first week of july through august.

the playoffs would not go past labor day to avoid overlap with NFL and to give more of an off-season break.

70 game season would mean we have 6 to go with a 3 game lead on boston. not sure if the 6 games would be the next 6 on the schedule or rescheduled competition to make the schedule more balanced.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
      simmons and rusillo had a discussion on the NBA returning on the BS pod this week. some of it was rampant speculation and some of it was more "what i'm hearing is", as both of them are pretty plugged in.

what i gleaned from it is that the NBA is seriously looking at a 70 game season, which is important from a TV money perspective, and a fairly standard playoffs (if you can call playing games in one or two cities without fans fairly standard) occurring from last week of june/first week of july through august.

the playoffs would not go past labor day to avoid overlap with NFL and to give more of an off-season break.

70 game season would mean we have 6 to go with a 3 game lead on boston. not sure if the 6 games would be the next 6 on the schedule or rescheduled competition to make the schedule more balanced.
      Screw the regular season. Make the standings by winning %. Theres a good chance someone tests positive and its all over. Don't waste our time with regular season. Just play like 2 exhibitions between east and west playoff teams that likely wont be matched in the finals. We play OKC. Lakers play Nets etc. and get right to playoffs
      To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Screw the regular season. Make the standings by winning %. Theres a good chance someone tests positive and its all over. Don't waste our time with regular season. Just play like 2 exhibitions between east and west playoff teams that likely wont be matched in the finals. We play OKC. Lakers play Nets etc. and get right to playoffs
        They can't just go straight to the playoffs. These guys need 2-3 weeks of training camp + a couple of exhibition games(in this case regular season games) to get their body ready for the playoffs.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

They can't just go straight to the playoffs. These guys need 2-3 weeks of training camp + a couple of exhibition games(in this case regular season games) to get their body ready for the playoffs.
          Ya that why I think they should just play exhibition against other conference playoff teams. Send the bottom feeder teams home. Less teams less chance of spread.

Comment

Ya that why I think they should just play exhibition against other conference playoff teams. Send the bottom feeder teams home. Less teams less chance of spread.
            Steve Kerr doesn't even wanna play. They're dead last. Bring back 24 teams, hook up the other ones up with a little bit of lost revenue
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

they were saying that the push for regular season games is because most of the contracts teams have with RSN's are based on 70 games. if they don't get to 70, team ownership would owe the RSN a portion of the deal back.

the raptors are maybe the only team this is not a consideration for since they are owned by their RSN's.

Comment

• anyhow every team is pretty close to 70 games, within 4 and 8 games. i think it'd be a good warm up for the intensity of the playoffs. like a pre-season with real stakes

Comment

• Team sports won't resume till there's a vaccine so don't get your hopes up. Fall 2021 is when we'll see these guys back.

Comment

• Sonny wrote: View Post
                    Team sports won't resume till there's a vaccine so don't get your hopes up. Fall 2021 is when we'll see these guys back.
                    Not a chance. They will play before that for sure. Game with fans is what there talking about when they say not tilll a vaccine

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

they were saying that the push for regular season games is because most of the contracts teams have with RSN's are based on 70 games. if they don't get to 70, team ownership would owe the RSN a portion of the deal back.

the raptors are maybe the only team this is not a consideration for since they are owned by their RSN's.
                      Maybe they can air those exhibition games instead of the playing out the schedule? If it comes down to it seems like it would be more financial viable to pay out a portion and get playoff T.V revenue then trying to get to the 70 game threshold and then the league gets shut down when a player on the Atlanta Hawks tests postivve after playing the Lakers.

Comment

Not a chance. They will play before that for sure. Game with fans is what there talking about when they say not tilll a vaccine
                        Explain how they're going to play? Mike Trout, the LeBron James of baseball said last week that he doesn't feel safe and won't play till there's a vaccine.

Comment

Explain how they're going to play? Mike Trout, the LeBron James of baseball said last week that he doesn't feel safe and won't play till there's a vaccine.
                          The Angels would play without Mike Trout if he doesn't feel safe. Baseball is probably the least contact major sports so i don't know why mike trout wouldn't feel safe hanging out in center field. They are playing baseball in Taiwan right now. The major sport leagues are not going to lose a year and a half of revenue while offices and other business operate with more people then are on a NBA team.

Comment

He didn't say that exactly, he just said he has some questions. Majority of players seem like they really wanna play

They're already playing in other countries. We'll be eating chicken wings and drinking beers together in Canada in 2 weeks. The world is cautiously reopening. You can't avoid it forever.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

The Angels would play without Mike Trout if he doesn't feel safe. Baseball is probably the least contact major sports so i don't know why mike trout wouldn't feel safe hanging out in center field. They are playing baseball in Taiwan right now. The major sport leagues are not going to lose a year and a half of revenue while offices and other business operate with more people then are on a NBA team.
                              this is where it gets more from "stuff i'm hearing" to speculation part of their discussion, but i think under this scenario every player and personnel associated with every team would be tested and then the remaining schedule and playoffs would take place in one or maybe two cities under lock down, essentially. they threw out vegas and orlando. teams would not be travelling between cities and all would be abiding by the same rules, so you wouldn't have teams in some states where measures have been lifted out on the town or anything.

but like i said, i got the impression the push for 70 games and fairly standard playoff (ie 16 teams, no single elimination tournament or anything but maybe they make the first round best of 5 again or something) were things that the league and owners are determined to make happen if possible, while the details of the execution are up in the air which is what they were speculating about.

Comment

• https://mobile.twitter.com/ShamsChar...22465220853761

Comment

Working...
                                X