Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Canadian Cites would you think could support a nba franchise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer
    replied
    chris wrote: View Post

3.2 million is the population of the entire state of utah. they play in salt lake city which has a population of 200,000 people, though a metro area 1.2 million people. there are several nba teams with metro area populations of comparable size on the order of 1.2 to 1.6 million (new orleans, OKC, memphis, milwaukee, etc).

from a market size standpoint vancouver and montreal are large enough. i just don't think enough people would give a shit, especially if the team sucked. vancouver loves a winner but is a total band-wagon town.
    Douhhhh!

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    Vancouver is one of the best cities in the world to live in, especially if you're a rich athlete. Travel may suck, but you can't tell me you'd rather play for Cleveland or Detroit after visiting Vancouver.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

No. Vancouver showed their true colors. If you're a Canadian team in a fringe market, you have to pack the arena (like Utah, OKC< etc..), no matter how shitty your team is. No excuses. Attendance was around 13K by the end of the Grizz, which is way too low. Also, no free agent will ever go there because the endorsement potential is about as bad as it gets, because of market size, location, etc...
    Attendance was better than similarly bad teams at that time. And the days of players not wanting to come North (and Vancouver being a podunk town) are behind us.
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Sat Mar 28, 2020, 09:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    Vancouver could most definitely support a team. About twice the market size as Memphis or Salt Lake City. It's not a good hockey town but lots of ball lovers here.
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Sat Mar 28, 2020, 09:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post

haha I almost forgot about that weak-ass comment from Bosh, what a maroon he ended up being towards Toronto.

Good point on Portland but I think Vancouver is a bit more refined and cosmopolitan. I think Vancouver fans would support a team with Lillard, McCollum, Whiteside, Ariza and Nurkic on it anyway.
    But that’s not good enough for a fringe market like Vancouver.... it has to be unconditional love, regardless of personnel.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied

It’s a hassle having to check all that jewelry through customs, man. #NBADivaProblems

Portland is basically a US version of Vancouver and I don’t hear players clamoring to go there.
    haha I almost forgot about that weak-ass comment from Bosh, what a maroon he ended up being towards Toronto.

Good point on Portland but I think Vancouver is a bit more refined and cosmopolitan. I think Vancouver fans would support a team with Lillard, McCollum, Whiteside, Ariza and Nurkic on it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post

I don't really get why players wouldn't want to be in Vancouver. I know they don't just don't understand it. Better city, better restaurants, better scenery than half the franchises in the NBA. Some of the more "desirable" places to play have shittier winter weather.....lookin' at you Chicago, NY and Bahston.

Travel for road games sucks from there tho.
    It’s a hassle having to check all that jewelry through customs, man. #NBADivaProblems

Portland is basically a US version of Vancouver and I don’t hear players clamoring to go there.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    Maury wrote: View Post

A huge portion of Asian youths here in Vancouver love Basketball and would support it with their dollar. I think Vancouver would absolutely be able to support a team. Whether any players would want to come here is another question entirely, however.
    I don't really get why players wouldn't want to be in Vancouver. I know they don't just don't understand it. Better city, better restaurants, better scenery than half the franchises in the NBA. Some of the more "desirable" places to play have shittier winter weather.....lookin' at you Chicago, NY and Bahston.

Travel for road games sucks from there tho.

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    Utah is the smallest city (by population) with an NBA team. It has about 3.2 million. Montreal has 1.6 million and Calgary has 1 million. All the other large cities have less. Obviously, the metropolitan areas around some of these cities would increase those numbers. For instance, Vancouver has 2.5 million and Calgary has over 1.4 million. But I think simply in terms of potential ticket sales, the problem is obvious. Add in the difficulty in TV revenue finding it's way into the coffers of the media giants that essentially finance the league, and I have to agree it isn't likely to happen soon.

Vancouver seems the most likely candidate though. A team there would provide an alternative to a Toronto base for western fans to cheer for.
    3.2 million is the population of the entire state of utah. they play in salt lake city which has a population of 200,000 people, though a metro area 1.2 million people. there are several nba teams with metro area populations of comparable size on the order of 1.2 to 1.6 million (new orleans, OKC, memphis, milwaukee, etc).

from a market size standpoint vancouver and montreal are large enough. i just don't think enough people would give a shit, especially if the team sucked. vancouver loves a winner but is a total band-wagon town.

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied

Not to stereotype, but Vancouver has a huge Asian population, which traditionally prioritizes things like career, business and education over frivolous money & time wasting activities like sports. I'm speaking from experience... I'm married to one of these serious, responsible Asians. lol.
    A huge portion of Asian youths here in Vancouver love Basketball and would support it with their dollar. I think Vancouver would absolutely be able to support a team. Whether any players would want to come here is another question entirely, however.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    Utah is the smallest city (by population) with an NBA team. It has about 3.2 million. Montreal has 1.6 million and Calgary has 1 million. All the other large cities have less. Obviously, the metropolitan areas around some of these cities would increase those numbers. For instance, Vancouver has 2.5 million and Calgary has over 1.4 million. But I think simply in terms of potential ticket sales, the problem is obvious. Add in the difficulty in TV revenue finding it's way into the coffers of the media giants that essentially finance the league, and I have to agree it isn't likely to happen soon.

Vancouver seems the most likely candidate though. A team there would provide an alternative to a Toronto base for western fans to cheer for.
    As well as the population advantage and ready made rivalries in neighbouring States, Utah has no other pro sports teams to compete.
    No NHL, no NFL and no MLB. They don't need to be that good to attract fans

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post

Yeah, sorry but I have very little faith in Vancouver as a pro sports town. Hockey is fine because Canada, but otherwise Vancouver seriously underachieves given its size and the fact that the rest of BC, a sizable population, should also be behind a Vancouver based team.

BC is just totally different. So many people who live there don't live there to sit in the house and watch hours and hours of TV sports.

No Canadian city is getting an NBA team. A good question is if the NBA is going to be able to expand or set up actual feeder or secondary leagues on other continents. They've been putting in work in China, Africa, and even UK/Europe for years now.
    Not to stereotype, but Vancouver has a huge Asian population, which traditionally prioritizes things like career, business and education over frivolous money & time wasting activities like sports. I'm speaking from experience... I'm married to one of these serious, responsible Asians. lol.

Leave a comment:

• bertarapsfan
    replied
    I dont see Vancouver getting a team anytime soon. Tho i think they could support it now a days. If the NBA is going back to the pacific Northwest they are going to go with Seattle.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    I could see another team in Ontario before a team in Vancouver if I had to be honest. Vegas or Seattle probably get teams first. Seattle is getting an NHL team and our old friend Tim Lieweke has built the arena over there. And you know how much of a fan he is of the NBA.

Memphis or NO are probably the two most unstable teams out West that might get relocated. NO however has Zion which might keep them there.. although KD sure as hell didn't keep the Sonics in Seattle.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    I could see another team in Ontario before a team in Vancouver if I had to be honest. Vegas or Seattle probably get teams first. Seattle is getting an NHL team and our old friend Tim Lieweke has built the arena over there. And you know how much of a fan he is of the NBA.

Memphis or NO are probably the two most unstable teams out West that might get relocated. NO however has Zion which might keep them there.. although KD sure as hell didn't keep the Sonics in Seattle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X