Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything 2020 Offseason

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Here's a hot take for you:

    This is reminding me of the year when MLB went out and the Expos were robbed of a chance at a World Series. They never got another shot and eventually moved as the Nationals.

    If this NBA season is scrubbed, I can see a scenario where the team looks a fair bit different next year and the team just isn't as good and we get robbed of our only chance to repeat as chip holders .... maybe only chance at all for a long time coming

    I'm not saying the Raps would be in danger of moving any time soon but we could go back to mediocre-good for a long time.

    Mmmm spicy hot take ....

    Comment


    • #92
      Kyle gets a year older which is what sucks for us.. but we still have a core of Siakam, Fred and OG. Plus Norm has really turned a corner. Nurse is an excellent coach and Masai is still the man in charge. We'll be fine.

      Comment


      • #93
        planetmars wrote: View Post
        Kyle gets a year older which is what sucks for us.. but we still have a core of Siakam, Fred and OG. Plus Norm has really turned a corner. Nurse is an excellent coach and Masai is still the man in charge. We'll be fine.
        I agree but that's the potential problem; we'll go back to being "fine", OK, competitive, mediocre

        PS
        No guarantee that Fred is here and OG needs to really take a step up to continue to be part of an effective core. He's dangerously close to a project, jmo
        Last edited by G__Deane; Tue Apr 14, 2020, 06:21 PM.

        Comment


        • #94
          Maury wrote: View Post
          I think Rose was truly incredible. Most athletic player I've ever seen. Leagues ahead of Russ, because combined with out of this world explosion he had the uncanny ability to truly control himself and his movements in a way that guys like Russ can't. His ability to get to the rim and finish was transcendent, and he was a good enough passer, defender, and midrange scorer.

          As for my top 5 PGs of all time, that's really tough. I'll exclude Magic too and we'll go with guys under 6'5".

          1. Steph
          2. Paul
          3. Stockton
          4. Kidd
          5. Thomas

          If CP had won a title, he would be first for me. It might seem like Blasphemy here to put the two youngest guys at the top, but Steph is probably the greatest offensive player of all time, and Chris Paul has the most well-rounded game of any point guard on that list. He's the second-best shooter, second-best defender, second-best passer, second-best scorer, and his intangibles and impact on winning are incredible. It's a shame he got hurt so many times in the playoffs because he deserves to be remembered for how great he was and still is.

          I also chose to leave Oscar off the top 5 because I 1. haven't seen him play and 2. whether it's fair or not, Russ' triple-double chasing has soured me on the stat. I don't really care about it all that much anymore.

          Here's my hot take for you guys to argue: Bill Walton is a top 5 center of all time.

          1. Kareem
          2. Shaq
          3. Wilt
          4. Walton
          5. Hakeem
          It's hard for me to rank players like Walton and Wilt and Kareem because I never saw them play.

          My top 5 centers of all time:

          Hakeem

          Shaq
          Ewing
          Admiral
          Mourning
          Mamba Mentality

          Comment


          • #95
            G__Deane wrote: View Post
            Here's a hot take for you:

            This is reminding me of the year when MLB went out and the Expos were robbed of a chance at a World Series. They never got another shot and eventually moved as the Nationals.

            If this NBA season is scrubbed, I can see a scenario where the team looks a fair bit different next year and the team just isn't as good and we get robbed of our only chance to repeat as chip holders .... maybe only chance at all for a long time coming

            I'm not saying the Raps would be in danger of moving any time soon but we could go back to mediocre-good for a long time.

            Mmmm spicy hot take ....
            The Raptors are one of the 10 most valuable franchises in the NBA, they're not going anywhere. The only concern if they cancel the season is Lowry is going to be a year older + Gasol, Ibaka, FVV will all UFA's after this season. But I have no doubt that they're going to re-sign FVV. He's the future.

            Also, the Raptors have Masai and Nurse lol. So they're going to be just fine.
            Mamba Mentality

            Comment


            • #96
              It's crazy but Russ is irrelevant in this discussion and this dude averaged triple double. LOL
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

              Comment


              • #97
                Derrick Rose was going to be a GOAT, I'm still a bit mad he was robbed of a healthy career.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                Comment


                • #98
                  G__Deane wrote: View Post
                  Here's a hot take for you:

                  This is reminding me of the year when MLB went out and the Expos were robbed of a chance at a World Series. They never got another shot and eventually moved as the Nationals.

                  If this NBA season is scrubbed, I can see a scenario where the team looks a fair bit different next year and the team just isn't as good and we get robbed of our only chance to repeat as chip holders .... maybe only chance at all for a long time coming

                  I'm not saying the Raps would be in danger of moving any time soon but we could go back to mediocre-good for a long time.

                  Mmmm spicy hot take ....
                  Call me an optimist but I still believe we are going to have basketball 'this season'. I think a Raps-Bucks ECF is going to be real fun this summer.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    slaw wrote: View Post

                    Call me an optimist but I still believe we are going to have basketball 'this season'. I think a Raps-Bucks ECF is going to be real fun this summer.
                    I'm starting to think we'll have a limited back-to-work scenario (work from home if you can, don't come to work if you feel the slightest bit sick, no unnecessary meetings, no shaking hands, wash hands often, hand sanitizer everywhere) maybe by the end of May.

                    A slow lessening of restrictions on "non-essential" businesses (you know, the ones people own to pay their mortgages and feed their families) in June.

                    But school is wiped out until Sept and no trade shows or large events until at least then. No sports in front of fans until Sept either. As much as I miss them and could be seen as a mental health essential service, they're really not.

                    Comment


                    • G__Deane wrote: View Post

                      I'm starting to think we'll have a limited back-to-work scenario (work from home if you can, don't come to work if you feel the slightest bit sick, no unnecessary meetings, no shaking hands, wash hands often, hand sanitizer everywhere) maybe by the end of May.

                      A slow lessening of restrictions on "non-essential" businesses (you know, the ones people own to pay their mortgages and feed their families) in June.

                      But school is wiped out until Sept and no trade shows or large events until at least then. No sports in front of fans until Sept either. As much as I miss them and could be seen as a mental health essential service, they're really not.
                      This has taught me that pro sports really is inconsequential, I would in instant rather have the things back that I physically actually do, ie, local activities. I dont miss pro sports that bad anymore, once I realized it wasnt coming back. What I couldn't live without is the various social activities, outdoors and indoors, that you forget how much you do until they're gone.
                      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                      Comment


                      • KeonClark wrote: View Post

                        This has taught me that pro sports really is inconsequential, I would in instant rather have the things back that I physically actually do, ie, local activities. I dont miss pro sports that bad anymore, once I realized it wasnt coming back. What I couldn't live without is the various social activities, outdoors and indoors, that you forget how much you do until they're gone.
                        It's weird, the lack of general 'noise' in the media and pop culture - including from pro sports - feels a lot...healthier. I find myself focusing on people in my life a lot more instead of consuming the latest game, news, talking heads, movie, politics, etc. I'd bet if we still had the noise reduction but not the limits on personal interaction/activities, we'd feel a lot more balanced. For the most part. I mean I'd still like to have basketball back, but the 24/7 noise that accompanies it from ESPN/TSN/websites/podcasts etc. really isn't needed.

                        Really wonder what the lasting impacts from this will be, socially not just systemically.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                        Comment


                        • People would find a similar "lack of noise" if they cut out 90% of the non-essential fb, twitter, podcasts, netflix, XBOX etc. "Following" dozens of useless celebs and thought makers/influencers is poison to mental health and well being imo. Pop culture sucks

                          It's not that any one of them is that bad individually, it's the totality of them vs quality time outside, actual face time with family and friends, cooking/eating, actually reading, fresh air .... but I actually don't have much faith for the vast majority of humanity to not go back to exactly the lives they were leading once things return to relative normal; people are consumed with electronics and fake busyness.

                          Comment


                          • G__Deane wrote: View Post
                            People would find a similar "lack of noise" if they cut out 90% of the non-essential fb, twitter, podcasts, netflix, XBOX etc. "Following" dozens of useless celebs and thought makers/influencers is poison to mental health and well being imo. Pop culture sucks

                            It's not that any one of them is that bad individually, it's the totality of them vs quality time outside, actual face time with family and friends, cooking/eating, actually reading, fresh air .... but I actually don't have much faith for the vast majority of humanity to not go back to exactly the lives they were leading once things return to relative normal; people are consumed with electronics and fake busyness.
                            Like addict who overdoses when he comes back to drugs I feel like people are going to go over the top after this is over.
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

                            Comment


                            • Is Norman Powell part of the core moving forward?
                              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

                              Comment


                              • MixxAOR wrote: View Post

                                Like addict who overdoses when he comes back to drugs I feel like people are going to go over the top after this is over.
                                When the baseball strike happened (1994), I lost about 50% of my interest when it returned. But of course, it started to burn brightly again as the Jays got better and eventually won back to backs. I'm not missing baseball at all right now but this could have been a decent (.500) year but really no loss.

                                Basketball is different and I feel we're getting ripped off

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X