No announcement yet.

Everything 2020 Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We don't know what Masai knows. We don't even know what plan A truly is, do we?

Comment

• Further, if the sense is Giannis is not coming to Toronto and that the Raptors will lose Kyle for nothing then it would be a no brainer to bring in a high lotto pick in this draft, plus Wiggins. If the Raptors strong system can refine Wiggins' game, his value may spike.

Comment

• Giannis or bust.
        Full stop.
        End of story.
        Plan B is only even contemplated afterwards....with disdain

It's a really tough spot to be in because I'm not sure Kyle will be seen as big piece of the puzzle to attract an elite FA after next season. I know some of you guys think Kyle will be great forever or show a super slow decline but I wouldn't make that bet personally. Right now there are virtually zero bad contracts on this team and that's a huge advantage on a contender; I wouldn't want Kyle to be the first and he'd need a pretty decent salary haircut to make sense to me post 2021.

It might take a "Kyle is being let walk and if you come here Mr Alphabet, here's who else we can bring in for you to play with alongside Spicy and FVV plus maybe Norm looks good next year. Time to go deep into the tax

Comment

• Kyle will be 35 next March. Who is coming to play with him?

Comment

• Giannis is not coming to Toronto to play with Siakam and FVV when Curry and Thompson and sunny San Fran is waiting for him. Let's be realistic.
            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
              Giannis is not coming to Toronto to play with Siakam and FVV when Curry and Thompson and sunny San Fran is waiting for him. Let's be realistic.
              Coming from a guy who wont even train with rivals in the off season and wants to be on the same level as Lebron when all is said i done. Not to mention seeing first hand what joining the warriors did to K.D legacy.
              I dont think Giannis would go to S.F, He may go somewhere beside us if he leaves Mil but i dont see the warriors being the team.
              It would be more on brand to go to somewhere like Dallas, Miami, Toronto
              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                Giannis is not coming to Toronto to play with Siakam and FVV when Curry and Thompson and sunny San Fran is waiting for him. Let's be realistic.
                Siakam and FVV just knocked off Curry and Klay. Yesterday’s men. Realistically, though, the ages don’t line up with Giannis. Curry and Klay have a ton of mileage on them, which is actually was a deciding factor in last year’s playoffs.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Coming from a guy who wont even train with rivals in the off season and wants to be on the same level as Lebron when all is said i done. Not to mention seeing first hand what joining the warriors did to K.D legacy.
                  I dont think Giannis would go to S.F, He may go somewhere beside us if he leaves Mil but i dont see the warriors being the team.
                  It would be more on brand to go to somewhere like Dallas, Miami, Toronto
                  If he has an old school mindset then he's staying where he is.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Siakam and FVV just knocked off Curry and Klay. Yesterday’s men. Realistically, though, the ages don’t line up with Giannis. Curry and Klay have a ton of mileage on them, which is actually was a deciding factor in last year’s playoffs.
                    It was a team effort and crucial pieces will be gone. Toronto can't offer the most money and so the question is, can they offer the best chance at winning? If yes, why?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                      We don't know what Masai knows. We don't even know what plan A truly is, do we?
                      We don't. Nobody does. But that shouldn't keep fans from contemplating different scenarios and giving their opinion on what they think it's best for the team. If knowing the front office plans was a requirement to discuss the team, then there'd be no forum.

You're right in that no one will be lining up to play with Lowry at 35. Lowry's value instead is:

1. Maintaining the relevance of this team and the winning culture till 2021 when our books open up. By the end of the of the 2021 season, this team will have had 7 straight playoff appearances and a championship. That stuff comes up in the discussions free agents have with their agents. None of that will/would have happened without Lowry.

2. Having an expiring deal that won't handcuff the team's future. It's just long enough to gently pass the reins to Siakam (as it's already happening) and to the next free agent, while also maintaining a winning culture

None of the above you get with Wiggins. Wiggins is a meh player making franchise player money. Sure, he's still young but he's been in the league for 6 seasons already. Odds are he's not making some magic leap that'll justify 33M till 2023.

Keeping the 2021 cap space and maintaining a winning culture (which is what you get with Lowry), is not just about some Giannis pipe-dream. That class has a lot of other good free agents in case we don't get him. Masai has done exceptionally well in trades and in drafting, and yielded a championship. Next step is attracting a solid, proven free agent to make a new franchise duo along with Siakam and get another chip.

Comment

• Interesting that one rumour with no tangible source has everyone riled up. Masai is not shy about having an old team. He drafts 4 year college prospects. He traded a 27 year old center for a 34 year old center. He just wants the best team, and age is not a deterrent to him. If we continue with this season and show poorly in the first or second rounds.. Lowry could be gone. If we have a team that gets to the ECF or Finals and plays respectable ball.. Lowry's a keeper despite his age. The "future" is up in the air, because in any instant everything can change (like Kawhi wanting out and Pop only negotiating with the East). He just needs to ensure that his books are easy to manipulate if something interesting/wild pops up.

He's also been pretty obvious about keeping his books clean for 2021. Otherwise Lowry would have had more than a 1 year extension. The only contracts on the books are Siakam's and Norm's. Norm has a player option. Thomas and Hernandez are also potentially on the roster but with team options.

If GSW does get a top 3 pick (and they might not.. it is a lottery), and this "deal" is available.. Raptors have to get back a contract like Wiggins' or Green's otherwise the trade won't work. GSW's cap is maxed out. Philly would also probably want a pick or a prospect considering Lowry will only have 1 year on his deal unless he extends it in Philly.. and even then...

And Wiggins' deal doesn't expire until 2022. Green's expires in 2023. It's just not something Masai will add to his roster and jeopardize the one thing he's been planning for, for 2 years now and that's Giannis.

It's easier to keep Kyle and see what happens in 2021. If Kyle jets after next year we'll get the cap space, and just hand the keys to Fred. If Kyle stays.. we see if he's willing to take a discount to play with a guy like Giannis. But to trade him for a Ball no less.. makes no sense at all. If anything we should be looking at bringing Simmons here. But I don't think that really happens either. Never thought we'd ever have Kawhi though so what do I know.

The "Hakeem" transaction back in the day made me understand that aging players on a team is not a good thing. Father time gets everyone eventually. And it makes sense to move off a great player in his last moments and pivot. But I just don't think Masai cares so much about that narrative. I think Kyle should get short 1 year deals until he can't play anymore.. and the year he plays like crap or his hurt for most of the year.. is the year we probably are rebuilding to move into our next phase. But I think Kyle still has at least 2-3 years left in him. He's pretty savvy and has the intelligence like a Stockton to play until his late 30's, early 40's. The key for me is if Kyle wants to even play here when he's a free agent again. In 2021 there will be a lot of teams with cap space.. but Covid will have killed the salary cap. So a lot of guys might just resign with their incumbent team using their Bird Rights to avoid losing out on $$$. It will still be a pretty interesting summer though.

And just final thoughts.. if that "deal" was on the table.. I'd probably not be too happy. The draft looks like crap.. especially with not much scouting available. And I really can't stand the thought of watching Wiggins play here until the end of 2022 chewing up a big portion of our salary cap in the meantime.

Comment

• I'm just not interested in filling up cap space with a guy like Wiggins, in almost any scenario. Every alternative I can think of is preferable. You get nowhere in the NBA throwing huge chunks of your cap at players like Andrew Wiggins.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

It was a team effort and crucial pieces will be gone. Toronto can't offer the most money and so the question is, can they offer the best chance at winning? If yes, why?
                            Siakam is all-NBA
                            FVV will be borderline all-star
                            Powell will be a consistent 19ppg guy
                            OG will be nba all-defense
                            Nurse is COY
                            Masai is .... needs no explanation

They all have rings

Plug in Giannis and that’s an NBA title contender for 5+ years.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                              I'm just not interested in filling up cap space with a guy like Wiggins, in almost any scenario. Every alternative I can think of is preferable. You get nowhere in the NBA throwing huge chunks of your cap at players like Andrew Wiggins.
                              And yet he landed in a Championship program.

Comment

And yet he landed in a Championship program.
                                When did he get traded to the Raptors?
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X