• golden wrote: View Post

Siakam is all-NBA
    FVV will be borderline all-star
    Powell will be a consistent 19ppg guy
    OG will be nba all-defense
    Nurse is COY
    Masai is .... needs no explanation

They all have rings

Plug in Giannis and that’s an NBA title contender for 5+ years.
    This. Even with Lowry aging (or moving on), the continued development of Siakam, Fred, OG and even Norm (plus Nurse's coaching and Masai consistent balancing of the roster with high impact depth pieces like TD), will make this team one star away from multiple finals appearances for years to come. FA's and their agents know that. That's why 2021 free agency is so important, even if we end up with another high-end FA other than Giannis.

The main "problem" with the Giannis chase is him actually wanting to leave Milwaukee. That's where he would get the most money, they're contending as it is, and they treat him pretty well, so there's no glaring reason for him to want to leave.

That said, IF he decided to leave it wouldn't be to an "easy road" superteam a-la Durant, and of course it wouldn't be to a crappy team either. It'd be to a winning team needing him where his presence would immediately put the team on championship territory. Several teams would fit that bill, but his personal history with Masai plus the uniqueness of Toronto as a market could put the Raps in a short list. Lots of IF's, but I don't think it's as farfetched as many think.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

When did he get traded to the Raptors?
      Ah, you think the world started last year. That's cute. Don't change.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Coming from a guy who wont even train with rivals in the off season and wants to be on the same level as Lebron when all is said i done. Not to mention seeing first hand what joining the warriors did to K.D legacy.
        I dont think Giannis would go to S.F, He may go somewhere beside us if he leaves Mil but i dont see the warriors being the team.
        It would be more on brand to go to somewhere like Dallas, Miami, Toronto
        Totally agree, Giannis is the opposite of a super team joiner although I can see him being a super team starter as the anchor which is why the idea of Masai being able to offer him a say in how we build this might be attractive. Why go to LA where you have to read about the Lakers and Clippers and even Houston all year? What he's seen is the East is the easier route to the Finals.

I wish you hadn't mentioned Dallas though. Who wouldn't want to try out Porzingis and Doncic for size?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

If he has an old school mindset then he's staying where he is.
          Good point.
          Pretty good team there and arguably better than Toronto next year again. The question is Toronto better with Giannis than Milwaukee without? Of course....only one of them has a recent chip though...and Masai

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Good point.
            Pretty good team there and arguably better than Toronto next year again. The question is Toronto better with Giannis than Milwaukee without? Of course....only one of them has a recent chip though...and Masai
            Its not that simple. Leaving a program for another is risky. There's no guarantee that Masai stays long term. There's no guarantee that Nurse stays long term. You also need to consider how much Giannis LIKES Toronto's system or his willingness to throw away what he's played in and found success with in exchange for something new or different.

Comment

• In that proposed trade what would Philly be getting other than Lowry? Simmons for all his warts is young and talented still with a lot of potential...just can't see them trading him for Lowry without something else significant.

GS gets significantly better on defense with Simmons. A younger, bigger and more athletic defender to replace Iggy.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                In that proposed trade what would Philly be getting other than Lowry? Simmons for all his warts is young and talented still with a lot of potential...just can't see them trading him for Lowry without something else significant.

GS gets significantly better on defense with Simmons. A younger, bigger and more athletic defender to replace Iggy.
                The rumour is problematic on several levels and this is one of them.

Toronto fans: "Lowry's performance will fall off a cliff here at some point, and/or he may walk for nothing as a 2021 UFA. He's old. Let's trade him."
                Also Toronto fans: "We will trade Kyle Lowry for another team's locked-in franchise player in a three team deal that lands us a lottery pick."
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  1. Professional scouting and the best GM in the business making the decision from his Presidents chair.
                  2. He's backed off significantly. Even a guy with that much ego cannot deny that his actions hurt his eldest sons early basketball career.
                  3. No clue. Simmons' upside is gigantic. It might come down to the question of are the Raptors willing to put their developmental system to the ultimate test of keeping Wiggins motivated so he can fully utilize his talents? I think Wiggins is very expendable with Ben Simmons in the mix. Simmons is the absolute perfect fit for this Warriors team and their current strengths.
                  4. Is DanH around? I don't pay any heed to the CBA anymore. We have cap experts in the house who know this stuff better than 99.99% of people out there. Someone will give us the lowdown.
                  5. Lowry would not be shocked and he would probably LOVE it. Why? Because Toronto is done winning chips for now, he's from Philly and they have a team ready to contend. It would be a gift for him and once he's done he will get honored tremendously here in Toronto no matter what. He's a Raptor for life.
                  I am around! Occasionally.

The trade makes sense financially between Philly and Toronto, but ONLY in the summer (whenever the "summer" ends up being). It could maybe work if the draft is right before summer as usual, do a handshake agreement and execute in the summer. But there is every chance the draft happens long before the summer given the situation right now, which would make that option impossible.

Golden State however has no cap room and can't absorb a big contract without sending one out. So unless the Raptors want to take back a big contract (and they absolutely should not take Wiggins on, that would have made sense last summer to some degree but not now with the course they've decided on) or they can find a 4th team (and as you add teams the odds of a deal happening drop off dramatically).

If the deal were to happen, it is far more likely to be a one for one, Simmons for Lowry deal, than to be a trade up the draft. IMO, anyway. If the Raptors hold onto FVV, he and Simmons and Siakam would be a very nice fit together as a core ball handling group.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I am around! Occasionally.

The trade makes sense financially between Philly and Toronto, but ONLY in the summer (whenever the "summer" ends up being). It could maybe work if the draft is right before summer as usual, do a handshake agreement and execute in the summer. But there is every chance the draft happens long before the summer given the situation right now, which would make that option impossible.

Golden State however has no cap room and can't absorb a big contract without sending one out. So unless the Raptors want to take back a big contract (and they absolutely should not take Wiggins on, that would have made sense last summer to some degree but not now with the course they've decided on) or they can find a 4th team (and as you add teams the odds of a deal happening drop off dramatically).

If the deal were to happen, it is far more likely to be a one for one, Simmons for Lowry deal, than to be a trade up the draft. IMO, anyway. If the Raptors hold onto FVV, he and Simmons and Siakam would be a very nice fit together as a core ball handling group.
                    If Masai Ujiri could ever trade one season of 34 year old Kyle Lowry for 5 seasons of 24-28 year old Ben Simmons, we would have to build him a temple. He is basically a deity at that point.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

If Masai Ujiri could ever trade one season of 34 year old Kyle Lowry for 5 seasons of 24-28 year old Ben Simmons, we would have to build him a temple. He is basically a deity at that point.
                      The entire scenario depends on Philly a) deciding they absolutely have to break up the Simmons/Embiid pair, b) needing relatively short term cap relief and c) recognizing Lowry's incredible fit in to their needs and deciding to go for it before their roster depth starts to bleed away. It would still be a coup, and would require a poor market for Simmons (which is possible, he is an unorthodox player in a league that at least thinks it lives and dies with shooting, even if that's only somewhat true).
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• The guy who started the rumour was Corey Williams, he is an analyst for the NBL(league Melo plays in). An American born former overseas player. He participated in training camp with the raps in 05-06. He's been pretty spot on when it comes to Melo news. He was the first to break that Melo will be signing a 100m contract with Puma. Also that Melo will be purchasing the team he played for this year.

I like Melo Ball, I think he has the highest upside in this draft. I think him and Fred would compliment each other quite well. He fits the mold of PGs(SGA, Wright) raps have had interest in the past, at least physically. If I had to pick one player that Masai would trade up for in this draft, it wouldn't be Melo. It would be Onyeka Okongwu(who played with Melo and Lonzo on that Chino Hills team that went undefeated in HS), big from USC. He more fits the culture of the team. Overshadowed, high motored and defensively sound.

I wonder if the rumour could be true but, Melo isn't actually the target. We're either going PG or C in this draft. I personally believe raptors think that Fred is the PG of the future and will resign thus summer. Use Lowry to rebuild this roster around Fred and my guy P Skills.
                        Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Tue May 12, 2020, 09:38 PM.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Glad to see the legend is back
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            The guy who started the rumour was Corey Williams, he is an analyst for the NBL(league Melo plays in). An American born former overseas player. He participated in training camp with the raps in 05-06. He's been pretty spot on when it comes to Melo news. He was the first to break that Melo will be signing a 100m contract with Puma. Also that Melo will be purchasing the team he played for this year.

I like Melo Ball, I think he has the highest upside in this draft. I think him and Fred would compliment each other quite well. He fits the mold of PGs(SGA, Wright) raps have had interest in the past, at least physically. If I had to pick one player that Masai would trade up for in this draft, it wouldn't be Melo. It would be Onyeka Okongwu(who played with Melo and Lonzo on that Chino Hills team that went undefeated in HS), big from USC. He more fits the culture of the team. Overshadowed, high motored and defensively sound.

I wonder if the rumour could be true but, Melo isn't actually the target. We're either going PG or C in this draft. I personally believe raptors think that Fred is the PG of the future and will resign thus summer. Use Lowry to rebuild this roster around Fred and my guy P Skills.
                            Translation: I admit I was wrong about Casey and DeRozan.

Welcome back, bud.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Totally agree, Giannis is the opposite of a super team joiner although I can see him being a super team starter as the anchor which is why the idea of Masai being able to offer him a say in how we build this might be attractive. Why go to LA where you have to read about the Lakers and Clippers and even Houston all year? What he's seen is the East is the easier route to the Finals.

I wish you hadn't mentioned Dallas though. Who wouldn't want to try out Porzingis and Doncic for size?
                              One thing going for the Raptors is that Giannis doesn't have a home in the States like Kawhi did, so he'll look to join the team that will be the best option for his career.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

One thing going for the Raptors is that Giannis doesn't have a home in the States like Kawhi did, so he'll look to join the team that will be the best option for his career.
                                Oops and crap, Giannis just shot a hole in that "one thing going for the Raptors".
                                He recently bought a 10,000 sq ft home for just $1.8M in a suburb of Milwaukee. That house is 5-10X that in the GTA depending on the neighbourhood.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nb...ssive-mansion/

"Giannis recently purchased a ten thousand square foot house in the River Hills, Wisconsin, one of Milwaukee’s most affluent suburbs.

PIN IT
                                Recently retired Bucks player Mirza Teletovic was the former owner of the mansion. He retired from the sport citing health issues and now works for the Basketball Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The house, costing a whopping $1.8 million, was mere pocket change for Antetokounmpo.

Comment

Working...
                                X