X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

Will be interesting to see how the money/cap/tax stuff plays out. If teams lose tens of millions of dollars will the small market teams be eager to shell out $200 mill contract extensions or pay the tax?
    bucks only have one shot which is to sign him... but it will be tough for them. we are one of the more financially stable if not top 5 financially stable teams in the league.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post

Based on Jackson's own line of thinking, if they don't then they've sided with the anti-semites and so that is what they are also, no exceptions. Social change won't come with this guy as a mouth piece. He's shown his hand, he's exactly what he claimed to oppose.
    Who would have thought giving a leadership role to the only guy who was a bigger idiot than Ron artest at the palace brawl would eventually hurt your movement

Leave a comment:

• Rudy Bargnani
    replied
    Please correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think Stephen Jackson is employed by ESPN

Edit—I know he’s been a guest on the jump but I don’t think he’s an employee. The host of the jump is Rachel Nichols who is Jewish.

I think Stephen Jackson is going to go away but because he’s not employed there—no big announcement.
    Last edited by Rudy Bargnani; Wed Jul 8, 2020, 05:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

ESPN has to do the right thing here. SJax needs to be cancelled. He went way beyond even "crossing the line" and doubled & tripled down on hate speech.
    Based on Jackson's own line of thinking, if they don't then they've sided with the anti-semites and so that is what they are also, no exceptions. Social change won't come with this guy as a mouth piece. He's shown his hand, he's exactly what he claimed to oppose.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    fwiw 'free speech' in the US refers specifically to the fact that you can say anything you want about the government and they can't retaliate against you personally. It prevents America from becoming Turkey.

Free speech doesn't mean everybody gets a free pass to say everything. These are all private citizens, private businesses, privately owned social media platforms, etc. having these issues. You can say whatever you want on IG or Twitter. They can also delete if they want to & ban you - or not. A bunch of other people can also get pissed and yell at you - or not. All that is fair game.

Again I think the real issue is mob rule. It's the Salem Witch Trials. One person says something or gets a 14 second video clip and they got doxxed and their life gets destroyed. This is happening to people with mental health issues as well as legitimate and self-aware racists. It's crazy.

And yes, the 'justice' provided by the mob is extremely inconsistent - as it always is. A bunch of villagers with pitchforks and torches never did anything good. We're now living in the digital version of that.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post
    The Sacramento Kings fired their play by play guy(who's actually a pretty good play by play guy) for saying All Lives Matter. Think about that. Somehow SJ gets a free pass.
    ESPN has to do the right thing here. SJax needs to be cancelled. He went way beyond even "crossing the line" and doubled & tripled down on hate speech.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    The Sacramento Kings fired their play by play guy(who's actually a pretty good play by play guy) for saying All Lives Matter. Think about that. Somehow SJ gets a free pass.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

The solution is more free speech and more democracy. The alternative is not good.
    That's what I mean. Social media, almost from the get-go, has been the perfect tool for division & hate mongering. More free speech, elevated by social media, seems to be leading to even more extremist ideologies hijacking initially good intentions to gain exposure & mainstream popularity. It's happening right across the board: race, religion, politics, social values, etc....

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    What social media is doing is enabling mob rule.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Democracy and free speech is imploding on itself. Social media is exposing the flaws and accelerating the demise. But what's the alternative?
    The solution is more free speech and more democracy. The alternative is not good.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

I think 99.8% of us are against cops kneeling on necks and murdering people. But the pendulum has swung and the militant nation of Islam shit is not a horse you wanna tie your wagon to
    Cops kneeling on necks? What? Oh right, the Floyd murder. Dude, that got fixed when they tore down the statue of Christopher Columbus..

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Democracy and free speech is imploding on itself. Social media is exposing the flaws and accelerating the demise. But what's the alternative?
    Peace, love and understanding.

I don't think it's as bad as you say though. The loud mouths on social media seem larger than they are because they're in your face about every little thing that doesn't align with their thinking. I mean this is how Trump surprised many and won the presidency the first time. Most people are not out in front saying what they think and so we watch the idiots parading around on social media contradicting themselves in nearly every virtuous post they make. Ruthless, petty, vengence against every minor "infraction" is not the answer but you'd never know that paying attention to them.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

Not sure we saw the same first take clip or not, but it seemed mosreso like Steven A and Max Kellerman both agreed they like Stephen Jackson and have only had good experiences in person working with him but hes really uninformed. Im all for second chances but the more Jackson says the less it looks like an uninformed dude with his heart in the right place. Not to defend Steven A Smith too hard cause I wouldnt go to him for a take on anything much less civil rights issues, but he seemed pretty self-aware as an uninformed dude asking Max for more information which I can appreciate. Definitely didnt supper Jackson on this tho.
    He was trying to let a guy off the hook who doubled down and who had zero forgiveness for another person who said something far less controversial. Brees through his charity work has done a lot for all people in his community but that didn't buy him any benefit of the doubt or leniency or understanding from SAS. He didn't support Jackson but he brushed off some seriously foul comments. Real racist comments, not open to interpretation possibly racist comments. No consistency for a reason. There's always a reason.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

The reaction difference between social media and real media is startling. Almost every person left or right is startled by the double standard, and basically crickets from the corporate media.

this is the type of shit that makes you realize you're being constantly indoctrinated.
    They completely destroyed Brees when he made his comments abou the flag. Stephen Jackson and all these people completely assassinated Brees' character. They were talking about him like he murdered someone. Credit to Brees because he handled it all with class and dignity. But those same people are pretty quiet now though. Fucking hypocrites.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X