X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bertarapsfan
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post
    The BEST way to combat racism is to educate the young people today so that 25 years from now, 50 years from now, 100 years from now....we can see some change. This thing is not going to get resolved overnight, that's just the reality. Dwight, Kyrie, Stephen Jackson...all these guys are living in fantasy land.

You don't resolve this by posting a black square on IG or posting different pictures on social media with the same hashtags. What is that going to achieve? Stephen Jackson yesterday posted "If I unfriend during all of this, it's personal, just so there's no confusion" That's some high school shit.

Heard that Kyrie is willing to give up "everything". What exactly is he going to give up? dude probably thinks he's Muhammad Ali now. Ali gave up 3 1/2 years of his PRIME for what he believed in. Would Kyrie give up his career for this? I don't think he's that guy.

The guy that I want to hear from is Jaylen Brown. Because 1. He's smart, he knows what he's talking about. And 2. I think he really wants to help. The guys that I mentioned above, and again, I don't want to be that guy....I just have a sneaking feeling but I'm not gonna say it.
    If their was a player who i actually think may quit basketball it would be Kyrie. Don't know what he would do but i could be conviced that Kyrie is just a crazy enough of a guy to walk away.

Also Jaylen has been very good leader as had Malcom Brogdon. Those 2 seem like the future of the NBAPA and a think the young guys will rally behind them as the old heads did with chris paul

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    The BEST way to combat racism is to educate the young people today so that 25 years from now, 50 years from now, 100 years from now....we can see some change. This thing is not going to get resolved overnight, that's just the reality. Dwight, Kyrie, Stephen Jackson...all these guys are living in fantasy land.

You don't resolve this by posting a black square on IG or posting different pictures on social media with the same hashtags. What is that going to achieve? Stephen Jackson yesterday posted "If I unfriend during all of this, it's personal, just so there's no confusion" That's some high school shit.

Heard that Kyrie is willing to give up "everything". What exactly is he going to give up? dude probably thinks he's Muhammad Ali now. Ali gave up 3 1/2 years of his PRIME for what he believed in. Would Kyrie give up his career for this? I don't think he's that guy.

The guy that I want to hear from is Jaylen Brown. Because 1. He's smart, he knows what he's talking about. And 2. I think he really wants to help. The guys that I mentioned above, and again, I don't want to be that guy....I just have a sneaking feeling but I'm not gonna say it.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    So cancel the NBA forever?

I'm 100% convinced that guys like Kyrie and Dwight and Stephen Jackson and Lou Williams and others have no clue what they're talking about. Racism isn't going to go away. It's been here forever.

It's funny that these are the guys wanting to cancel the season.

Here are their career earnings (not including endorsements):

Dwight - $240M
    Kyrie - $127M
    Lou - $73M

And Stephen Jackson is out of the league.

With covid, social distancing and no-sports an issue like the murder of George Floyd made a huge impact on the world. It's why it caused riots and more protesting since the 60's. If sports were on, maybe people wouldn't spend too much attention on the protests and the call for change then they would without it. That's I think what these guys are saying. It's up to the players and the broadcasts, and the NBA to make sure their voice is still heard. Kaepernick tried to make a difference in the NFL and got black balled for it.

But yeah, the message would be better if it came from someone who hasn't made over $70M in career earnings.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied

I'm 100% convinced that guys like Kyrie and Dwight and Stephen Jackson and Lou Williams and others have no clue what they're talking about. Racism isn't going to go away. It's been here forever.

Very Very Unlikely.
    To much money to be had by both players and owners.

We may not agree with Kyrie and his timing .. but he is doing his job as the VP of the NBA Players Association in making sure all parties on the players side have a voice and a vote on a choice if they want to continue with the season or not.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied

If only. Raptors one step closer.

Leave a comment:

• NeedTristanThompson
    replied

MAN That'S BIG THO

Could Dwight's opinion be a window into Lebron's?!?! At the very least it affects Lebron's team and they don't rly got a viable backup centre wo Mr Dwight ehhhh?!??!

Wild

Is sport coming back or nottttttttt

YOLO

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post

Not on the top level of star but John Boyega's been right out there & involved more than any other high profile celebrity I've seen.
    I knew who he was when I saw him but didn't recognize his name.
    Sydney Crosby, Connor McDavid and Patrice Bergeron have also released statements

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    I'm still waiting for all the big name celebrities/athletes to do something. Write a letter like Masai and Pop did, protest silently like Jaylen Brown, go on TV and talk about the topic....etc..The silence is deafening. Where's Jay Z at? Drake? Beyonce? LeBron? Tom Brady? Mahomes? I saw LeBron posting a Nas lyrics and tweeting #BlackLivesMatter lol. What the hell is that gonna do?

The ONLY athletes that are trying to make a difference out there that I'm seeing other than Kaepernick are Jaylen Brown, Stephen Jackson, Kanter, Brogdon and Evander Kane.

LeBron James, Tom Brady, Mike Trout, Sidney Crosby. The best players in their sport are all eerily quiet.
    Not on the top level of star but John Boyega's been right out there & involved more than any other high profile celebrity I've seen.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    Toews showing why he's the best captain in the league. Good for him.

Great message and good for him for taking a public stand. But best Captain in the NHL?

Crosby, Chara, Ovie, Stammer, Tavares all want a word with you.....

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    True activism is what Mohammed Ali did. He went to jail for his beliefs. And while he was in his prime. I don't think we'll see that type of devotion from an A-list athlete for quite some time.

But if you want real change it has to come from someone like him. Participating in a protest does nothing really. I've been to some.. seen some. It doesn't move the dial.

Violence gets some noise (like with Rodney King and the LA riots back in the day).. which ironically lead to the OJ verdict. That was change but in the wrong direction.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    Toews showing why he's the best captain in the league. Good for him.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    I'm still waiting for all the big name celebrities/athletes to do something. Write a letter like Masai and Pop did, protest silently like Jaylen Brown, go on TV and talk about the topic....etc..The silence is deafening. Where's Jay Z at? Drake? Beyonce? LeBron? Tom Brady? Mahomes? I saw LeBron posting a Nas lyrics and tweeting #BlackLivesMatter lol. What the hell is that gonna do?

The ONLY athletes that are trying to make a difference out there that I'm seeing other than Kaepernick are Jaylen Brown, Stephen Jackson, Kanter, Brogdon and Evander Kane.

LeBron James, Tom Brady, Mike Trout, Sidney Crosby. The best players in their sport are all eerily quiet.
    Moe Pete was on sports radio this morning. Basically said black people are fed up but he doesn't condone the looting/stealing from innocent businesses.

Austin Matthews said as a Latino-American, he can't fully understand the issue but "we have to stand together and change" .... yeah that should do it....

The Maple Leafs on Sunday night added the organization’s voice to the stand against racism in a strongly worded statement released by the club on Twitter.

“All of our collective hearts were broken as we watched the senseless murder of George Floyd, as well as the pain and frustration displayed in protests that followed across the globe,” the Leafs said in the Twitter post. “Together, we need to do more to not only speak out against racism when we witness it, but commit ourselves to anti-racist efforts in the long run to ensure its defeat once and for all. Change is needed and, as leaders in our sport and community, the Toronto Maple Leafs are deeply committed to doing our part to help eradicate all forms of bigotry and racism.”

Leafs centre Auston Matthews, whose mother Ema is from Mexico, also took to Twitter to make a statement.

“As a Latino American it is impossible for me to understand and fathom what others endure,” Matthews said. “My thoughts and prayers go out to all those who have lost loved ones and who have endured pain and suffering due to hateful racist attitudes and beliefs. The world must unite not divide. We need to stand together in support of justice, love and peace for all. We need change.”

Last edited by G__Deane; Mon Jun 1, 2020, 04:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sonny
    replied

Like Keon said, LBJ does quite a bit of activism. Mike Trout? don't think you're going to hear anything from him. Not sure if he even wants to play baseball this year.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied

Lebron does quite a bit of activism..wont hold it against him just yet. Sidney Crosby is a nova Scotian hockey player...Brady isn't gonna get involved either, he used to have a MAGA hat in his locker lol. Just cause you're a top athlete doesn't mean you need to get involved, the last dance should have proven that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X