X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maury
    replied
    chris wrote: View Post

i've posted this before but here again is bill russell going coast to coast in 5 steps and jumping over a man from just inside the free throw line to lay it in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2AlFrOj5Mc" data-vcode="j2AlFrOj5Mc" data-vprovider="youtube" >

the competition is a valid point but there were 14 teams in the league at the end of his run, which is not quite like original 6 NHL. (there were 8 teams when he entered the league).

and he owned the era's best player's, from bob petit at the start of his career to wilt chamberlain for the rest of his career.

maybe that's unimpressive, but wilt still has the most ridiculous raw numbers of any era and had the size and athleticism to ragdoll just about any big man that's ever played (see size comparisons to well known big men below).

i would still rank him 2nd probably. both would have dominated any era they played in i think

I have only watched one wilt game in its entirety, and that's the 1970 game 7 vs the Knicks in which Wilt was virtually useless against Willis Reed who was one, quite a bit shorter than him, and two, as hobbled as one could be, literally dragging his leg up and down the court. There is no way Willis Reed with a torn hamstring or whatever he had should be able to shut anyone down. And he did. Wilt displayed zero skill and relied entirely on his athleticism and size in this game and the lakers got absolutely destroyed despite having Jerry West and Elgin Baylor. It's as small a sample size as it gets but that game basically eliminated Wilt as a top 10 guy for me. Jerry West, on the other hand, really stuck out to me, and of course, Walt Frazier was incredible but no one seems to really care about Walt Frazier when they're ranking their top point guards. He's absolutely in my top 10.

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post

I'm always a bit skeptical of the Bill Russell rankings. He was great, no doubt, it's just that "for his era" is pretty significant context in his case. The league was small. It's like Original 6 hockey records or Grey Cups. There was just so much less peer competition, it's really hard to compare results (11 titles in 13 years!) against later eras.

That said I wasn't there and didn't see him.
    i've posted this before but here again is bill russell going coast to coast in 5 steps and jumping over a man from just inside the free throw line to lay it in.

the competition is a valid point but there were 14 teams in the league at the end of his run, which is not quite like original 6 NHL. (there were 8 teams when he entered the league).

and he owned the era's best player's, from bob petit at the start of his career to wilt chamberlain for the rest of his career.

maybe that's unimpressive, but wilt still has the most ridiculous raw numbers of any era and had the size and athleticism to ragdoll just about any big man that's ever played (see size comparisons to well known big men below).

i would still rank him 2nd probably. both would have dominated any era they played in i think

Last edited by chris; Wed May 13, 2020, 07:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post
    Top 10 - where's Hakeem? another unpopular opinion: Hakeem is better than Shaq and Kobe.
    I don't know, Hakeem had a more polished game and was better defensively (more committed, too) but Shaq was just straight up a more dominant force. The whole league had to Shaq-proof their rosters and make sure they had enough 7 footers to eat fouls for the Shaq games. Hakeem's playoff results were also more all over the place (comparing their primes). Shaq in his prime was just straight unstoppable, at worst he'd give you 27+10 in the playoffs and at best he's giving you 30+15 on championship runs and there was just nothing the league could do to stop him. And despite his reputation for 'probably could have given you a bit more,' Shaq also made 3 all defensive teams - he was no slouch on that end.

Kobe was lucky to be on great teams with great teammates. The down years in LA between Shaq and Pau were pretty bad, most guys at the top level don't let their teams drop as far as the Lakers did in those years. 34 W's (missed playoffs), 45 W's (first round out), 42 W's (missed playoffs) right in Kobe's prime - the other greats just didn't let that happen.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    Sonny wrote: View Post
    Thoughts on this all time rankings? Kawhi already a top 25 player of all time? Pippen #21? ahead of guys like Isiah, Iverson, Harden, Westbrook? Durant #14? Giannis #27? Isiah #31?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-all-nos-40-11
    Kawhi at 25 is fair. I think one day we'll be talking about him as a top 10 player of all time.

As for the bolded part - 100% Pippen is better than all those guys lol. Westbrook and Harden are the most overrated players of this generation. What have they won? what has Iverson won? Pippen in his prime was a 20+ppg scorer, great rebounder/playmaker and is in the "greatest defensive player of all time" conversation. And oh, he has 6 rings.

Harden #32? way, way too high. Where's Klay Thompson? This is a hill that I will die on. Klay Thompson is the best SG in basketball, been sayin this for years. He is way better than Harden. But if you only care about scoring and not showing up when it matters the most, then sure Harden's your guy.

Top 10 - where's Hakeem? another unpopular opinion: Hakeem is better than Shaq and Kobe.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Thoughts on this all time rankings? Kawhi already a top 25 player of all time? Pippen #21? ahead of guys like Isiah, Iverson, Harden, Westbrook? Durant #14? Giannis #27? Isiah #31?

Old heads will hate the top 10, too much young blood.

I'm always a bit skeptical of the Bill Russell rankings. He was great, no doubt, it's just that "for his era" is pretty significant context in his case. The league was small. It's like Original 6 hockey records or Grey Cups. There was just so much less peer competition, it's really hard to compare results (11 titles in 13 years!) against later eras.

That said I wasn't there and didn't see him.

Curry might be too low. Durant joining them ruined his shot at real GOAT legacy status. But Curry's impact on the game as a whole was Shaq-like. It's the level of player that causes opposing teams to reinvent themselves, at both ends of the floor and in roster construction, just to try to compete with you. Only the very top tier guys have that kind of impact, and Curry has had that kind of impact.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Kobe is too high.. I think he's pretty overrated. Hakeem is too low.. He's in my top 10, ahead of Shaq. I don't mind Curry's spot. Kawhi is a bit over rated too. Same with Giannis. A lot of recency bias with those two.

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

Top 10 is well ranked i think. From there, its splitting hairs. Even I'm suprised how high they have curry (13), and I pump his tires here most than most, a lot of you think hes overrated. But I love how they have him one spot ahead if KD, super petty and they knew it will bug kevin lol
    i think curry is absolutely where he should be in the hakeem/duncan/kobe/shaq range of modern superstar.

also think lebron should be 4th behind russell and kareem but i am a hater

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    I love how they spell Giannis' last name wrong. Classic.
    that jumped out at me too. not many knew anything about him... i enjoyed this quote from the link:

What Scouts Say: "I wouldn't touch him," a Western Conference executive said. "I don't even know how good he is going to be once he reaches his potential."

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied

Top 10 is well ranked i think. From there, its splitting hairs. Even I'm suprised how high they have curry (13), and I pump his tires here most than most, a lot of you think hes overrated. But I love how they have him one spot ahead if KD, super petty and they knew it will bug kevin lol

Leave a comment:

• Sonny
    replied

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    I love how they spell Giannis' last name wrong. Classic.

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    Bebe went one spot after Giannis lol

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post
    Toronto had traded away the 12th pick or could have had him....hindsight 20/20 lol
    Fuck hindsight. That trade got us Kyle Lowry and an actual championship, over any theoretical ones.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Well that pick was traded for Lowry. It's a judgement call to say it was a bad trade at that time. Lowry is the GROAT after all.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    Incidentally, Giannis was drafted in the 2013 draft year. That was the Anthony Bennett draft.... And Giannis went 15th!
    Look at the garbage that went before him .... Toronto had traded away the 12th pick or could have had him....hindsight 20/20 lol

1. Cleveland: Anthony Bennett, F, UNLV

2. Orlando: Victor Oladipo, G, Indiana

3. Washington: Otto Porter, F, Georgetown

4. Charlotte: Cody Zeller, F, Indiana

5. Phoenix: Alex Len, C, Maryland

6. Philadelphia (from New Orleans): Nerlens Noel, C, Kentucky

7. Sacramento: Ben McLemore, G, Kansas

8. Detroit: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, G, Georgia

9. Utah (from Minnesota): Trey Burke, G, Michigan

10. Portland: C.J. McCollum, G, Lehigh

11. Philadelphia: Michael Carter-Williams, G, Syracuse

12. Oklahoma City (from Toronto via Houston): Steven Adams, C, Pittsburgh

13. Boston (from Dallas): Kelly Olynyk, C, Gonzaga

14. Minnesota (from Utah): Shabazz Muhammad, F, UCLA

15. Milwaukee: Giannis Adetokunbo, F, Greece

16. Atlanta (from Dallas via Boston): Lucas Nogueira, C, Brazil

17. Atlanta: Dennis Schroeder, G, Germany

18. Dallas (from Atlanta via Houston, Brooklyn): Shane Larkin, G, Miami

19. Cleveland (from Los Angeles Lakers): Sergey Karasev, F, Russia 20. Chicago: Tony Snell,G, New Mexico

21. Minnesota (from Utah via Golden State, Brooklyn): Gorgui Dieng, C, Louisville

22. Brooklyn: Mason Plumlee, C, Duke

23. Indiana: Solomon Hill, F, Arizona

24. New York: Tim Hardaway Jr., G, Michigan

25. Los Angeles Clippers: Reggie Bullock, F, UNC

26. Oklahoma City, (from Golden State via Memphis, Houston, Minnesota): Andre Roberson, F, Colorado

27. Utah (from Denver): Rudy Gobert, C, France

28. San Antonio: Livio Jean-Charles, F, France

29. Phoenix (from Golden State via Oklahoma City): Archie Goodwin, G, Kentucky

30. Golden State (from Phoenix via Miami, LAL, Cleveland): Nemanja Nedovic, G, Serbia

Leave a comment:

Working...
X