Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH
    replied
    I don't think Durant and Irving guarantee the Nets contendership. Just how back Durant will even be after that injury is a big question mark, and Irving has always been more flash than substance.

If anything I think the chances of the Raptors bringing the whole team back next year have gone up, not down. If the salary cap crunches even a bit, they might be able to fit both Gasol and Serge on one year deals, if the market is wonky, and the deals Serge and FVV were hoping for aren't out there.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post
    So next season we are coming back to a loaded Brooklyn team, Giannis back with the Bucks and playing as strong as ever, Boston's young core with another year of experience under the belt, Indiana at full strength, and Philly....well who knows.

Where do the Raptors fall into the mix? Does Masai bring back the band or does he let some of the free agents walk?
    I honestly think the Raps fall back a rung.

Durant/Irving may not bounce back perfectly but they'll be a contender at least. Bucks will be a formidable team as long as Giannis is there. Any of Boston, Philly and a full strength Pacer team can take a first round.

I absolutely believe the Raps can't afford to trot this crew back out again next year. Age and injuries have finally caught up to them which is why it's a shame if they don't get to test this version in the 2020 post season. Masai has to work some magic to keep then in the upper tier of the East in order to take a real run at the Alphabet.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    So next season we are coming back to a loaded Brooklyn team, Giannis back with the Bucks and playing as strong as ever, Boston's young core with another year of experience under the belt, Indiana at full strength, and Philly....well who knows.

Where do the Raptors fall into the mix? Does Masai bring back the band or does he let some of the free agents walk?

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    This thread just made me sad. Ugh
    I didn't want to make it, but I'm starting to think this is it. Maybe we can talk about basketball instead of the Great Depression II as Keon put it in another thread. I'm finding it hard to think about the Raptors right now, though.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    This thread just made me sad. Ugh

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

I don't know how the CBA and individual player contract terms interact or supercede, or whether this type of scenario was anticipated. No matter what, the NBA and players union are going to need an emergency round of CBA negotiations if they re-start the season and it goes beyond the termination date of existing contracts. This could be a case where the players are divided on some issues, especially pending FAs. Maybe not. Who knows?
    Forsure there will be division on whether to play or how to play etc, that's the nature of the beast. But I think overall with the revenue sharing models the major leagues have now, everyone has an overall vested interest in shoe horning as many games in as possible

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

You either accept it as a union or you don't. Freds hypothetical games in August would be what he would have already played in during April, but instead he is sitting at home watching netflix. And he never would have been able to say "I'm sitting out April so I don't affect my contract negotiation". Lets not forget, by not playing this years playoffs, the league loses a ton of money, aka the players collectively lose a ton of money.
    I don't know how the CBA and individual player contract terms interact or supercede, or whether this type of scenario was anticipated. No matter what, the NBA and players union are going to need an emergency round of CBA negotiations if they re-start the season and it goes beyond the termination date of existing contracts. This could be a case where the players are divided on some issues, especially pending FAs. Maybe not. Who knows?

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied

For Serge & Marc, they've made their zillions, but imagine if Fred gets seriously injured in August.... that's a $100M decision right there. A guy like Chris Boucher has even more to lose, since he hasn't gotten even a Fred level deal yet. Boucher might be in line for something like a 3-year deal @ 4-6M. That's not chump change. Life changing decisions.
    You either accept it as a union or you don't. Freds hypothetical games in August would be what he would have already played in during April, but instead he is sitting at home watching netflix. And he never would have been able to say "I'm sitting out April so I don't affect my contract negotiation". Lets not forget, by not playing this years playoffs, the league loses a ton of money, aka the players collectively lose a ton of money.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post

What's a amazing is that bubble players with mediocre contributions and limited upside (and I like Boucher lol) can be in line for "something like a 3-year deal @ 4-6"

I remember when the first Jays player topped a million/year and thought how ridiculous that was
    Now players who make 30M a year want to go on strike occasionally so that the "brotherhood" coming can afford to feed their families on 4-6 lol
    Boucher has obvious physical limitations, but he puts up stellar advanced stats with unicorn potential (3-ball + rim protection + switching). I could see a Daryl Morey type of GM taking a flyer at upside potential. He's also pretty tough - pound for pound, or rather, plays with a lot of heart.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied

For Serge & Marc, they've made their zillions, but imagine if Fred gets seriously injured in August.... that's a $100M decision right there. A guy like Chris Boucher has even more to lose, since he hasn't gotten even a Fred level deal yet. Boucher might be in line for something like a 3-year deal @ 4-6M. That's not chump change. Life changing decisions.
    What's a amazing is that bubble players with mediocre contributions and limited upside (and I like Boucher lol) can be in line for "something like a 3-year deal @ 4-6"

I remember when the first Jays player topped a million/year and thought how ridiculous that was
    Now players who make 30M a year want to go on strike occasionally so that the "brotherhood" coming can afford to feed their families on 4-6 lol

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post

It's hard to be in the same frame of mind, but if fans are jonesing to watch some ball I can only hope/imagine how bad players want to get out there and play. Perhaps enough to take the risk?

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    If the season extends to August, will pending free agents still play and risk getting hurt during a time when they should have been inking a new deal and securing their family’s future?
    It's hard to be in the same frame of mind, but if fans are jonesing to watch some ball I can only hope/imagine how bad players want to get out there and play. Perhaps enough to take the risk?

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    If the season extends to August, will pending free agents still play and risk getting hurt during a time when they should have been inking a new deal and securing their family’s future?

Leave a comment:

• Rudy Bargnani
    replied
    Any indication how 2020 luxury tax is going to be impacted? IE teams that are in the tax probably justify being a tax team in hopes of playoff revenue. If the season gets cancelled or played in front of no fans those teams are still tax teams and have no or drastically reduced playoff revenue. Has the NBA made any announcements yet about luxury tax for this season?

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    started a topic Everything 2020 Offseason

Everything 2020 Offseason

We may be in the offseason right now, we may be several months away from it. At the end of the day, Basketball will come back, and the Raptors will go on to defend their title, whether it's this year or next.

Obviously this whole thing changes the plans of not only our team but all 30 teams in the Association. We have free-agents that stood to gain from a great playoff run. Do they resign? How bad will the cap be affected by this? How does this all play out? Let's discuss.
Working...
X