No announcement yet.

The Last Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Jordan has been accused of lying about several things during ESPN and Netflix's hugely popular documentary 'The Last Dance'.
    'it was like when a TV movie comes on and they say, "this is based on a true story." That's what that was. It was based on a true story.'
    About coming back after '98:
    longtime NBA writer Sam Smith says a number of claims made in it are untrue.

Smith, author of 1992 New York Times bestseller 'The Jordan Rules, refutes Jordan's 'revelation' that he wanted to return to the Chicago Bulls after they won their final title in 1998.
    Jordan claimed in the final episode that all four of them have returned on one-year contracts if owner Jerry Reinsdorf would have offered them but Smith calls this a 'blatant lie'.

'That was a complete and blatant lie by Michael,' he said
    Jordan wanting to return for the 1998-99 season] was a complete, blatant lie. I know what happened.'
    About the 'flu game':
    'The pizza thing - the poison - that was complete nonsense,' said Smith
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nb...ngs-Dance.html

Comment

• If Bron wins a couple chips in LA then that might be enough to settle it. With this COVID thing though we might be looking back and sighing because of the thought of what could be if the league didn't shut down for a season and a half.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
        If Bron wins a couple chips in LA then that might be enough to settle it. With this COVID thing though we might be looking back and sighing because of the thought of what could be if the league didn't shut down for a season and a half.
        I don't think so. Jordan will always and forever be unbeaten in the finals....the only player in the history of the league to go 6-0
        Bill Russell is the only comparable at an incredible 11 titles and everyone else ahead of Jordan (except for Kareem) is a no-name that happened to play with .... Bill Russell

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

I don't think so. Jordan will always and forever be unbeaten in the finals....the only player in the history of the league to go 6-0
          Bill Russell is the only comparable at an incredible 11 titles and everyone else ahead of Jordan (except for Kareem) is a no-name that happened to play with .... Bill Russell

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Like I said, apples and oranges. Riding assorted coat tails doesn't count .... some guy named Sam Jones has 10 ....

Comment

• So MJ lied about axing Zeke from the Dream Team.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                the game is so buddy-buddy now and reading twitter a lot of players are saying they wouldn't take that bullshit from Mike. So I think in this era MJ wouldn't win a championship because he wouldn't be able to form a big 3 or get good players play with him
                What's happened is the players have come full union. They eventually realized it's not the other guys in jerseys who are the opponent, it's the guys in suits.

Hell, the suits were the one opponent even MJ couldn't beat. So on that level, Lebron & Co. have absolutely gone a level higher than MJ. How much it does/doesn't help the players on court is debatable.
                ​​​​​​
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

What's happened is the players have come full union. They eventually realized it's not the other guys in jerseys who are the opponent, it's the guys in suits.

Hell, the suits were the one opponent even MJ couldn't beat. So on that level, Lebron & Co. have absolutely gone a level higher than MJ. How much it does/doesn't help the players on court is debatable.
                  ​​​​​​
                  And yet the guys in suits aren't their opponents either. NBA owners are unbelievably fair business partners. Name another industry where the employees put up zero risk capital, but get to split 50% of the top-line revenue? And to top it off, the players get to have side gigs (i.e. endorsements) that often dwarf their salaries that leverage the distribution and network deals their partners (owners) have negotiated, while their partners get zero share of that?

In the context of business deals..... it's a sweet, sweet deal to be an NBA player. Zero risk. Only reward & more reward.

Comment

And yet the guys in suits aren't their opponents either. NBA owners are unbelievably fair business partners. Name another industry where the employees put up zero risk capital, but get to split 50% of the top-line revenue? And to top it off, the players get to have side gigs (i.e. endorsements) that often dwarf their salaries that leverage the distribution and network deals their partners (owners) have negotiated, while their partners get zero share of that?

In the context of business deals..... it's a sweet, sweet deal to be an NBA player. Zero risk. Only reward & more reward.
                    Apples and oranges. Nobody can do lebron James job as well as him. Literally nobody. I can find a million accountants to take over from Karen in cubicle 22d
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Apples and oranges. Nobody can do lebron James job as well as him. Literally nobody. I can find a million accountants to take over from Karen in cubicle 22d
                      Simple supply and demand baby
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

I'm not talking about accountants taking risk here. I'm talking about billionaires (owners), who are literally business partners with the Lebron Jameses, who try to play the indentured slave angle to the masses when it's convenient. Oh, we're just poor employees. It's a farce. Players and Owners (not accountants) are equity partners in this multi-national multi-billionaire dollar corporation called the NBA.

NBA players have the sweetest of deals in the corporate world. Especially the mid & lower tier NBA guys, who could be easily replaceable, except that the NBAPA (yes, the NBA Players Association) severely limits the pool of players that the owners can have under control, unlike MLB and NHL. Those guys should be getting peanuts. And we all can name lots of max guys who shouldn't have been getting the max (Chandler Parsons anyone?). NBAPA did a hell of a negotiating job.

Apples and marbles.
                        Last edited by golden; Fri May 29, 2020, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I'm not talking about accountants taking risk here. I'm talking about billionaires (owners), who are literally business partners with the Lebron Jameses, who try to play the indentured slave angle to the masses when it's convenient. Oh, we're just poor employees. It's a farce. Players and Owners (not accountants) are equity partners in this multi-national multi-billionaire dollar corporation called the NBA.

NBA players have the sweetest of deals in the corporate world. Especially the mid & lower tier NBA guys, who could be easily replaceable, except that the NBAPA (yes, the NBA Players Association) severely limits the pool of players that the owners can have under control, unlike MLB and NHL. Those guys should be getting peanuts. And we all can name lots of max guys who shouldn't have been getting the max (Chandler Parsons anyone?). NBAPA did a hell of a negotiating job.

Apples and marbles.
                          Again though, it's not the corporate world. It's an entertainment entity. They are self contractors, much like actors and singers negotiating movies and concert fees. They get what the market dictates, and not a penny more.

Players sell tickets, players win games and sell more tickets. The low end players are contributing to the entire machine as well. But, because of the hard cap, the lower end players are in fact a little overpaid, and more should go to the superstars on the marquee and the back of the fans jersey, the superstar is probably underpaid. But they are not replaceable, technically speaking. Malcolm Miller might be the 200th best player in the world at his role. But that's fucking incredible in a world of billions, and your team is slightly better if you have him instead of the 201st best guy.
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

the Lebron Jameses, who try to play the indentured slave angle to the masses when it's convenient.
                            I don't think it's too much at this time to ask to keep the casually racist language and assertions at bay.

Maybe give it a day.

Maybe take it to the cesspool that is the coronavirus thread.

Maybe just choose a different metaphor next time...

​

​

Comment

Again though, it's not the corporate world. It's an entertainment entity. They are self contractors, much like actors and singers negotiating movies and concert fees. They get what the market dictates, and not a penny more.

Players sell tickets, players win games and sell more tickets. The low end players are contributing to the entire machine as well. But, because of the hard cap, the lower end players are in fact a little overpaid, and more should go to the superstars on the marquee and the back of the fans jersey, the superstar is probably underpaid. But they are not replaceable, technically speaking. Malcolm Miller might be the 200th best player in the world at his role. But that's fucking incredible in a world of billions, and your team is slightly better if you have him instead of the 201st best guy.
                              I’m not even disagreeing with you, I’m just responding to SR saying that the players finally figured out that the owners were their “opponents” and that’s why they’ve banded together as buddy-buddy these days. That couldn’t be farther from the truth. The players AND the owners are both “the Man” these days, sticking it to the fans. Although the players still try to play the employee / boss card from time to time. That’s a farce.
                              Last edited by golden; Fri May 29, 2020, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                The one block he had at 10:03 in the video is just insane.
                                Does block mean dunk?

Comment

Working...
                                X