2020 End of Season / Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post
    Anybody out there see this stat. My daughter sent it to me without including a link.

Top 8 players in the bubble in terms of +/- during the playoffs to this point:
    1. Norm
    2. Serge
    3. Kyle
    4. Jayson Tatum
    5. OG
    6. Fred
    7. Bam
    8. Pascal
    Seems unbelievable.
    Well...

basketball reference says:

(1) Kawhi 8.7
    (2) Jaylen Brown 3.0
    (3) Paul George -5.4

Under "box +/-" sooooo

If box =/- is what I think it is I think ur daughter unfortunately may b a liiiitle misinformed :/

They're still awesome tho!!
    Last edited by NeedTristanThompson; Mon Aug 24, 2020, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Its really hard for me to reconcile that Paul George is this cold and this out of sorts. Still see him as the guy who by himself almost beat the Raps in a 7 game series that ushered in Playoff Norm. Who knows maybe he turns it around in games 5 6 and 7 and the Playoff Paul smarm stops.

If he doesn't and the Clips lose the series....Sam Presti just one upped Danny Ainge on the most one sided trade of the last 30 years.
      They have a really good player in Gilgious-Alexander and can if they want hang on to Gallinari. They also got what seems like 10 first round picks to 2026... with some pick swaps mixed in later in progression. That could really really sting.
      NOT TO MENTION KAWHI'S RETURN 2 TO AFTER NEXT SEASON IF THINGS DON't GO 2 WELL NXT YR AS WELL

ALSO YA WHAT HAPPENED 2 PG?????

THAT MAN USED 2 B AMAZING AND THAT WAS POST INjury?!??!?!

Strange

#KAWHI2021

Comment

• NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post

Well...

basketball reference says:

(1) Kawhi 8.7
        (2) Jaylen Brown 3.0
        (3) Paul George -5.4

Under "box +/-" sooooo

If box =/- is what I think it is I think ur daughter unfortunately may b a liiiitle misinformed :/

They're still awesome tho!!
        Score one for his daughter, zero for you. BPM is an attempt to correlate box score stats with the predominant impact stats like RAPM, RPM, PIPM and try to get a guess of how impactful a player is based on their box score.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
          Anybody out there see this stat. My daughter sent it to me without including a link.

Top 8 players in the bubble in terms of +/- during the playoffs to this point:
          1. Norm
          2. Serge
          3. Kyle
          4. Jayson Tatum
          5. OG
          6. Fred
          7. Bam
          8. Pascal
          Seems unbelievable.
          Your boy DanH's favorite stat...... On/Off rating:

Serge: +28.6
          Marc: -22.9

Norm: +20.0
          Fred: -1.0

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
            So Porzingis is questionable for tomorrow? can this guy ever stay healthy? smh.
            Cant risk it with a guy that size with knee issues. It was a low risk high reward for mavs to trade for him, might as well play it safe. I mean they beat the clips without him once and even if they were to lose in 6 they already exceeded expectations and may be the number 1 free agent destination now for the few years before luka gets his max
            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Your boy DanH's favorite stat...... On/Off rating:

Serge: +28.6
              Marc: -22.9

Norm: +20.0
              Fred: -1.0

Would appreciate if you could point me to the last time I quoted on/off differentials as a single number like that, something only people who don’t understand what that statistical approach is intended for do.

I don’t think it should come as any surprise that the bench players would score incredibly by that stat in this series. What with the Nets having no bench.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Houston loses, Bucks win and the lakers are taking it to the Blazers in the first half (can't see their likely f/t advantage yet).
                -Raptors getting daily massages and sitting by the pool with Minnie

Comment

• Blazers getting stomped on lol. Are they looking like a real 8th seed now?
                  The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                    Blazers getting stomped on lol. Are they looking like a real 8th seed now?
                    After all that hype i expected more lmao
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Score one for his daughter, zero for you. BPM is an attempt to correlate box score stats with the predominant impact stats like RAPM, RPM, PIPM and try to get a guess of how impactful a player is based on their box score.
                      Ha ooooooook. Thx 4 the info Dan... tho can u send me a link 2 the actual stat then??

Also I nvr claimed 2 kno anything about stats... as u'll note I said "if it is what I think it is" - not that I knew! I think me and the daughter r tied at worst.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

It came from an article she read. She said she would try and find it again. If some writer created that chart, it would be interesting to see where and how. Agree with you Dan, that the Raps bench scoring so high is heavily dependent on the Nets having none to speak of. The bench scoring 100 points in that final game would heavily skew any weighting in comparison with other players.

Comment

• If you can get in, there's a great article from the Athletic in which Seth Partnow looks at Joel Embid (and other players) and tries to explain why the 76'ers failed so miserably this year. He has analyzed past championship teams in terms of their players and the tiers those players exist on. the tiers he uses are:
                          1. Franchise (Top 5 player)
                          2. Core (Top 15 player)
                          3. All-Star Consideration (Top 40 player)
                          4. High Rotation ( Top 125 player)
                          Looking at the past decade he finds that Title winners average:
                          0.75 Franchise players
                          1.50 Core players
                          3.25 All-Stars
                          7.00 High rotation players

The difference between title winners and losers is the losers tend to have the same numbers in the first two categories but only 2.75 All-Stars and 6.50 High rotation players. Not much of a difference, but over a span of 7 games, enough to tilt the odds.

The 2013-2014 Spurs are the anomaly in this group, with no franchise or core players. he doesn't mention them, but the Raptors had one Franchise, no Core and only maybe 3 All-Star players with a cluster of High rotation players. This year's version has a cluster of players in categories 2-4.

Good article and worth a read. Interested in others takes on this.

Comment

• NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post

Ha ooooooook. Thx 4 the info Dan... tho can u send me a link 2 the actual stat then??

Also I nvr claimed 2 kno anything about stats... as u'll note I said "if it is what I think it is" - not that I knew! I think me and the daughter r tied at worst.
                            https://stats.nba.com/players/tradit...PerMode=Totals

Standings have shifted a bit with the extra games played yesterday.

Actually, here's the link filtered to exclude yesterday's games.

https://stats.nba.com/players/tradit...08%2F23%2F2020
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I never bought the Blazers hype or the sudden downswing on Lakers hype. The Lakers are really good, top seed for a reason. Yes they'd miss Bradley and Rondo but those are bit players who shouldn't make much of a difference at all in the 1st round and aren't an insurmountable challenge anyway.

Meanwhile the Blazers had tons of hype because Dame was dropping 50 pieces and shooting from logos and the NBA loves nothing more than that right now. But he still doesn't play defence and neither does the rest of his team. Also a definite Carmelo factor in the hype train, the media and retired players were definitely pulling for the Melo resurrection and it's a great story that he's back after being right out of the league but the guy is still a 15 ppg role player who also doesn't play defence and is not swinging a series for you against this Lakers team.

At this point in the 1st round I like the Lakers chances to come out of the West. The Clippers are not in sync and will have a lot of trouble with the Lakers size. Also PG13% is playing like garbage, he'll turn it around at some point here but the Lakers' 1-2 punch is far more reliable than the Clippers at this point. If they meet up (no certainty at this point), it's going to be Kawhi carrying the Clippers vs the 2 stars on the Lakers and it's tough to win those series when you're outgunned. The Lakers have rim protection and the Clippers don't, I'd expect Lebron and AD to feast going at the rim.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Yeah, I never bought into the Blazers hype either and it was clear once the Lakers started playing defense who the better team was.

I still think the Clippers are the team to beat in the West (really pulling for Luka and company for the upset). Lakers have LeBron and AD and that's pretty much it. Kuzma and Danny G are too inconsistent, and when their outside shooting is off, it just helps the Clippers take away driving lanes from LeBron.

Comment

Working...
                                X