2020 End of Season / Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Yeah our second best player (Lowry), is significantly better and more impactful then the Buck's second best player (Middleton). If we make the two team's third best a combo of Gasol/FVV and Lopez/Bledsoe, our guys also come ahead by quite a bit.

Does the difference between each team's 2nd/3rd/4th guys outweigh the difference between Siakam and Giannis? Maybe, maybe not, but I think it's a lot closer than what many people think.
    Yes, Giannis is much better than Siakam, but as you mention past that the Raptors are much more balanced. Normally, I would agree with the notion that if you have the best player, you probably win in a best of 7 series - especially against a well oiled machine like the Bucks. That being said, the Bucks are screwed if you slow down Giannis whereas the Raps should have multiple options when Siakam gets shutdown. Raps have personnel to trouble Giannis and I trust Nurse a lot more than Bud in 7 games. Not easy, but certainly possible. Most of the really good defensive teams rely on some very good defender and/or some gimmicky system which can be exploited in 7 games - Raps just play really good, smart defense. As the saying goes, what happens when an unstoppable force meets an impenetrable wall?

Comment

• so apparently the league is wanting to start next season december 1st. training camp tentatively scheduled for november 10th. that is less than a month off for the finals participants if it goes to game 7.

next season's schedule would be compressed and run from december through may, with the playoffs wrapping up in july in time for the olympics slated to start july 23rd.

that is an unfathomable amount of basketball and i can't envision the players association being cool with it. michele roberts "was surprised by it."

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
        so apparently the league is wanting to start next season december 1st. training camp tentatively scheduled for november 10th. that is less than a month off for the finals participants if it goes to game 7.

next season's schedule would be compressed and run from december through may, with the playoffs wrapping up in july in time for the olympics slated to start july 23rd.

that is an unfathomable amount of basketball and i can't envision the players association being cool with it. michele roberts "was surprised by it."
        I think they'll end up settling on something closer to Christmas for the start of the next season. It will be tight for the two teams in the finals, but that's 2 teams out of 30. On the flip side, 8 teams out of the 30 won't have played for about seven months. Maybe they can make the start of the next season skewed with more games for those 8 teams, and the others catching up further into the season.

There's also the fact that the whole playoffs will be done without travelling, which even for pro athletes, can save a lot of time and energy (no red-eye flights, no checking in and out of hotels etc..) Basically everyone will have had 4 months off, and start a 3-month playoff where they just get up, go to work and get back to their families, with no planes to catch. I think many welcome that.

Finally, I also think players are aware that everyone will be inconvenienced and/or losing something because of this pandemic. Fans won't be able to go to games, TV networks will lose money, sponsors will lose money, teams will lose revenues, and players will have a tighter schedule. I think ultimately there's some awareness there's no perfect solution and everyone will have to tough it out a bit and hold their end to keep the whole thing afloat (which is actually a microcosm of what's actually happening in the real world post-covid).

The players association is also aware that less basketball means less TV money, less ticket sales and therefore smaller salary cap, which equals to less money to a lot of them, so they also have that angle to consider.

Comment

• The NBA players have been the most accommodating through this whole thing, credit to them. NHL and MLB players have had issue with a number of things along the way, including, you guessed it, money..and neither one has anything close to an actual start date yet
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

I think they'll end up settling on something closer to Christmas for the start of the next season. It will be tight for the two teams in the finals, but that's 2 teams out of 30. On the flip side, 8 teams out of the 30 won't have played for about seven months. Maybe they can make the start of the next season skewed with more games for those 8 teams, and the others catching up further into the season.

There's also the fact that the whole playoffs will be done without travelling, which even for pro athletes, can save a lot of time and energy (no red-eye flights, no checking in and out of hotels etc..) Basically everyone will have had 4 months off, and start a 3-month playoff where they just get up, go to work and get back to their families, with no planes to catch. I think many welcome that.

Finally, I also think players are aware that everyone will be inconvenienced and/or losing something because of this pandemic. Fans won't be able to go to games, TV networks will lose money, sponsors will lose money, teams will lose revenues, and players will have a tighter schedule. I think ultimately there's some awareness there's no perfect solution and everyone will have to tough it out a bit and hold their end to keep the whole thing afloat (which is actually a microcosm of what's actually happening in the real world post-covid).

The players association is also aware that less basketball means less TV money, less ticket sales and therefore smaller salary cap, which equals to less money to a lot of them, so they also have that angle to consider.
            i agree with most of this but still think that a playoff schedule consisting of every-other-day play (except between series), an abbreviated off-season, a compressed 2020-2021 season including many back-to-back and 4-in-5's that the league has tried to avoid in recent years, another compressed playoff, and the olympics is a lot to ask in 12 months, even with less travel (during this playoff at least, i don't imagine the nba is envisioning a bubble for the next season).

Comment

• Spurs’ LaMarcus Aldridge out for season after shoulder surgery

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                Spurs’ LaMarcus Aldridge out for season after shoulder surgery
                Are the spurs even in the playoff thing?

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Are the spurs even in the playoff thing?
                  Yup.
                  https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...ulder-surgery/

The San Antonio Spurs will be one of the 22 teams heading to Disney World when the NBA season resumes, but LaMarcus Aldridge won’t be suiting up.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
                    so apparently the league is wanting to start next season december 1st. training camp tentatively scheduled for november 10th. that is less than a month off for the finals participants if it goes to game 7.

They should just shorten next season. Start it around december and end the regular season/Playoffs around their usual times and after that you can go back to the regular 82 game season schedule.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

They should just shorten next season. Start it around december and end the regular season/Playoffs around their usual times and after that you can go back to the regular 82 game season schedule.
                      Exactly. They should. 70 games. Like the players always talk about. But why aren't they even considering that?

Comment

Exactly. They should. 70 games. Like the players always talk about. But why aren't they even considering that?

they should shorten to 72 games permanently, abolishing divisions and keeping conferences. play each of the other 29 teams twice, and each of the other 14 teams in your conference a third time.

would alleviate a lot of the scheduling pressures and load management issues, as well as make each game carry a little more weight. but yes the league will never accept the financial consequences.

Comment

The NBA players have been the most accommodating through this whole thing, credit to them. NHL and MLB players have had issue with a number of things along the way, including, you guessed it, money..and neither one has anything close to an actual start date yet
                          NBA players generally see themselves as partners with the owners whereas the MLBPA and MLB/owners see each other as adversaries. Haven't followed the NHL too closely but it seems the players there have been pretty accommodating as well.

Comment

• Was curious to see the best away teams this season, as games will be on neutral sites so thinking the lack of fans helps teams that travel well

1. Lakers 26-6 away
                            2. Bucks 25-9 away
                            3. Raptors 23-9 away, identical to our home record.

How about the Sixers, who are 29-2 at home, and 10-24(!!) on the road this season

Miami is also 27-5 at home, 14-19 on the road.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Please stop talking sense immediately!

Comment

Million Dollar man seems too cheap now when players make that+ every month.
                                Kinda like Wintario lottery I think it was called with a grand prize of $100,000
                                I'll raise you your Million Dollar Man with

No wait!
                                The Six Billion Dollar Man is the reboot industry's latest offering

Comment

Working...
                                X