2020 End of Season / Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
    When you sign a contract and accept that as security, you play out your contract. Period.
    And yes, you could be traded since that was what you collectively bargained. Nowhere do I see a clause that says "unless you feel you're worth more during term"

So what if the player is performing well below expectations? He still gets paid every dime (unless it's NFL)

Attempting to void a valid contract irks me. It's a separate issue from FA forming super teams.
    No player attempts to void a valid contract. They threaten not to play, which would allow the team to void their contract and prevent them from signing elsewhere. The two sides have leverage. Teams just decide to trade players instead of going down that path.

Is your position that players are in indentured servitude because they signed a contract? They should not be allowed to express a desire to be elsewhere and then work with their employer to work out a solution that benefits both parties more than the strict legal alternatives each side has?

Also, what's this nonsense about players trying to get out of contracts to get paid more? Can you quote a single example of this ever happening?
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      The NBA is fine the way it is.
      Maybe, but the tv ratings over the last decade aren't showing it is fine.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

tv ratings are obsolete though. dinosaur metric

And even if it was true. Saving smart markets is not the solution.
        Last edited by MixxAOR; Fri Oct 2, 2020, 11:02 AM.
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

I don't think parity would change that. TV ratings are dreadful in all sports, other than the NFL. And that's primarily only because of gambling.

Comment

Despite all the superteams, the 2010s had more different NBA champs (7) than the 00s (6), 90s (5) or 80s (4).
            That doesn't mean their was parity though, that means the superstars kept switching teams. Switching teams was nearly unheard of in Magic and Birds day. But usually theirs only really 3 teams that matter over the course of multiple years.

The 80s belonged to Magic and Bird and the Pistons, the 90s were Jordan, and Jordan playing baseball (Hakeem thanks you!). The 00s were ruled by Kobe and Duncan, and 3 times an East team built the right chemistry to win 1 title. And last decade, before one last gasp from the old guard of Kobe and Dirk, was the Lebron, Golden State and Kawhi Leonard show.

10- Kobe
            11- Dirk
            12- Lebron
            13- Lebron
            14- Kawhi
            15- Curry
            16- Lebron
            17- Curry
            18- Curry
            19- Kawhi

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

tv ratings are obsolete though. dinosaur metric

And even if it was true. Saving smart markets is not the solution.
              Not true. Live sports is more important and valuable than ever to network TV. NBA gets over 33% of its entire revenue just off of ESPN and TNT.

Comment

NBA franchise value and player compensation (salaries & endorsements) have skyrocketed in the last decade. Amazing growth. That's more than just fine.

I thought you were an accountant, slaw.

Comment

• Last Thursday the Dolphins-Jags game got better ratings than the Lakers-Nuggets deciding game. That can’t be good.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

NBA franchise value and player compensation (salaries & endorsements) have skyrocketed in the last decade. Amazing growth. That's more than just fine.

I thought you were an accountant, slaw.
                    Nope, not an accountant. I am not sure average franchise value is necessarily indicative of how well the league as whole is doing (see the word, 'average'). And look at what that franchise value jump coincides with....

And that's all I am saying. Whenever the NBA comes up with people who follow the league all I hear is this word cloud of positive stuff but it's a league that has lost ~40% of it tv ratings over a decade living on a 6 year old tv deal signed when no one saw that coming and which deal is set to expire in the near future. And people can downplay whether the China problem and the polticization of the league have/will hurt but I think it's obvious that they have to some extent.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Yeah people complain about the Warriors and the Heatles just because the players got themselves together. From a competitive standpoint? The Lakers were in the Finals 8 of 10 years in the 80's, the Celtics were there 5 years, and people loved the 80's. Those teams were stacked.
                      Those teams were built organically though. Worthy and Magic were drafted by the Lakers. They didn't team up together. Same with Bird and McHale. The 90's Bulls were also built organically. Jordan, Pippen, Kukoc and Grant were all drafted by the Bulls.

The Warriors team before KD was one of the most beloved teams in history. Why? because they were exciting to watch and were built the right way. KD changed everything. KD joining forces with Klay and Curry was the weakest move ever by a superstar. Don't get me started about the Heat.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Those teams were built organically though. Worthy and Magic were drafted by the Lakers. They didn't team up together. Same with Bird and McHale. The 90's Bulls were also built organically. Jordan, Pippen, Kukoc and Grant were all drafted by the Bulls.

The Warriors team before KD was one of the most beloved teams in history. Why? because they were exciting to watch and were built the right way. KD changed everything. KD joining forces with Klay and Curry was the weakest move ever by a superstar. Don't get me started about the Heat.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Yeah, I hear that side of it but I'm not sure if I really care that much if Jerry Reinsdorf or Leborn James put a team together. Kind of, but not really.

I completely dismiss the 'competitive' arguments from guys like MJ, Magic, Bird, etc. Those guys played for organizations that stacked their teams. The 80's Lakers & Celtics had multiple prime HOFers. Those guys had no reason to leave. MJ's prime bulls could win 50+ games without him. Lebron leaves Cleveland and they go straight to the lottery.

Guys like Barkley couldn't win and did get disgruntled and demand trades etc.

The other piece is that Magic/Bird/MJ couldn't do what Lebron can do. Player empowerment has evolved and peaked now. If MJ played in this era and butted heads with Krause/Reinsdorf the same way, does he stay in Chicago for 6 rings? I'd say there's a pretty good chance that guy flips off that front office and puts a team together somewhere else.

There's something appealing about the narrative of organic growth and guys sticking with their teams, for sure. But for the NBA, those eras were the worst for parity. We think it's bad in Toronto now - man if we had a Canadian team in the 80's, can you even imagine? Zero percent chance at a title. None. Zero. Would we love the system then?
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

This is an underrated point. KD I'd put in a bit of a separate boat in that OKC had talent and he bailed on it while they still had potential to win something. KD didn't just hurt his legacy though, he potentially robbed NBA history of prime Steph Curry, MVP.

Related - Brooklyn is going to be a shitshow this year. Hear how Kyrie's already talking?
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

This is an underrated point. KD I'd put in a bit of a separate boat in that OKC had talent and he bailed on it while they still had potential to win something. KD didn't just hurt his legacy though, he potentially robbed NBA history of prime Steph Curry, MVP.

Related - Brooklyn is going to be a shitshow this year. Hear how Kyrie's already talking?
                              That was an insane interview. Honestly, it's for the best of everyone involved if they just move all their younger guys. If I'm Levert, Dinwiddie, Allen, Harris I'm calling my agent telling him to get me the hell outta there (or in Harris' case just leaving). Nets just need 5-6 role players vets. It won't be a great situation for any youngish player and if anything goes wrong the team is going to throw you under the bus anyway.

Comment

Kyrie is so jealous of LeBron he can't even hide it anymore lmao.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X