2020 End of Season / Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

007 wrote: View Post
    The NHL has announced it will return with a modified 24-team playoffs. NBA isn’t the only league tinkering right now
    I think NBA was waiting on another league to announce as it seem they have kinda been leaking things. I bet they watch the public reaction to NHL. let that dominate the news cycle for a day or two hammer down the final idea and make an announcment friday or next monday
    To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Man what's up with the spam threads on the forum? That's like half of the threads on the first page now

Comment

inthepaint wrote: View Post
        Man what's up with the spam threads on the forum? That's like half of the threads on the first page now
        I flagged them and still not deleted. Mods?

Comment

I don't understand why fans would accept the bullchit possibility of lakers vs Clippers .... seems pretty contrived and fixed. Every call would rightly be second guessed

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            Here is an example of a possible draw (as mentioned in the article):

Raptors would play the Celtics, Thunder, Mavs and Spurs 2x each in this scenario.. The best two teams move on into the playoff round.
            Huge fan of this tbh. Lets be honest, with such a long break a mini season such as group play makes a lot of sense and is tons of fun. Lets not pretend this is an NBA championship. Teams like the Raptors thrive off playing on a string defensively - who knows if that sticks around. The World Cup is a spectacle and honestly the most accurate/fun for a condensed time period. If the NBA ever wants to do a midseason tournament, this is a great tester.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Apparently he won't play if he doesn't have a shot of making the playoffs:

Kind of lame attitude, but whatever.
              Full context makes more sense. Basically says the team was in a good spot to make the playoffs with a much easier schedule then Memphis and a couple starters coming back from basically a full season of injury. Esentially hed rather focus on next year if they play games as just a preseason for current playoff teams. He definitely knows more about whats going on, seems like maybe theres a good chance the NBA would do an abreviated season (ie 72 game season) or a pile of exhibition games. I get it, I would complain too.

Comment

I don't care if it's a 1-16 format or a 1-8 format or whatever. I just want to watch Raptors basketball again.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post

I flagged them and still not deleted. Mods?
                  Sad that the site has devolved to this.

I will always blame the redesign for shitting up what was working perfectly fine.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

Sad that the site has devolved to this.

I will always blame the redesign for shitting up what was working perfectly fine.
                    Aaaaaaaaaaaand now there's another new thread

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post
                      I don't care if it's a 1-16 format or a 1-8 format or whatever. I just want to watch Raptors basketball again.
                      Raps have a good, fun team this year & really hope these guys have a chance to show out in the playoffs.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post

Raps have a good, fun team this year & really hope these guys have a chance to show out in the playoffs.
                        A healthy Marc gasol and Kyle Lowry is big too. They are the 2 biggest keys/ x factors to the team imo and are usually banged up this time of year. We all know about "October Lowry" who is like prime Steve nash vs "may lowry" who usually has multiple injuries and struggles to make a shot
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post

so do i but this whole situation is so weird that no matter what happens whoever is crowned will have a massive asterisk on that ring. by the time the playoffs start there will have been an entire offseason's break. is it even the 19-20 champion at that point or something else? if we lost in the first round to a brooklyn team with a healthy KD would that negate how special a title defense season we were having? (this was my favorite raptors team ever). (also i don't think that would happen, but just as a hypothetical).

circumstances have completely changed from the course the season was on and moreover some players have been training the whole lockdown while others have not taken a single shot (i thought the title of this SI piece was hyperbolic but it raised some interesting points which i've largely regurgitated in this post). i wouldn't go so far as to say there shouldn't be a champion but this is definitely more like a weird little tournament without a season attached to it than conventional champion.

Comment

chris wrote: View Post

so do i but this whole situation is so weird that no matter what happens whoever is crowned will have a massive asterisk on that ring. by the time the playoffs start there will have been an entire offseason's break. is it even the 19-20 champion at that point or something else? if we lost in the first round to a brooklyn team with a healthy KD would that negate how special a title defense season we were having? (this was my favorite raptors team ever). (also i don't think that would happen, but just as a hypothetical).

circumstances have completely changed from the course the season was on and moreover some players have been training the whole lockdown while others have not taken a single shot (i thought the title of this SI piece was hyperbolic but it raised some interesting points which i've largely regurgitated in this post). i wouldn't go so far as to say there shouldn't be a champion but this is definitely more like a weird little tournament without a season attached to it than conventional champion.
                            I'm of the opinion there should not be a champion, especially because its gonna screw up next year, and potentially many years after

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

I'm of the opinion there should not be a champion, especially because its gonna screw up next year, and potentially many years after
                              so you're in favor of no comeback at all this season and trying to just start the 20-21 on time?

i had heard if they can wrap up by labor day they would delay next season until at least december, possibly permanently. for one season i wouldn't care but i wouldn't be into it permanently i don't think, even if July-August are a sports dead-zone that's a time of year i'd rather not have controlled by the raptors schedule.

Comment

chris wrote: View Post

so you're in favor of no comeback at all this season and trying to just start the 20-21 on time?

i had heard if they can wrap up by labor day they would delay next season until at least december, possibly permanently. for one season i wouldn't care but i wouldn't be into it permanently i don't think, even if July-August are a sports dead-zone that's a time of year i'd rather not have controlled by the raptors schedule.
                                Yes exactly. They've cancelled over work stoppages (not the NBA, but NHL and mlb) so they can stop with the "integrity of the sport" stuff.

This is being pushed by owners and players association, become they crunched the numbers and the way they lose the least amount of money is by honoring playoff TV deals, and then rolling every season back to go December to August.

I think its ridiculous. The NHL is proposing the same thing, a permanent shift from December to August. There's a reason July and August are a sports dead zone. These leagues are in for a rude awakening of they think there won't be a huge drop in ratings, every year. Canadians (and nearly half of Americans) live in winter climates, and wait all year to go vacation and enjoy the outdoors in July. They will not be glued to Carolina vs Nashville Stanley cup finals while at the lake house. They'll be outside, doing other shit.

Comment

Working...
                                X