No announcement yet.

2020 End of Season / Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we could somehow get Serge and Marc combined around ~35, and Kyle and fred combined around ~50, that's about as good as we could hope for. Who knows what the post covid market is for nba bigs. Probably not great. Right now Serge and Marc are closer to 48 combined so that would help, but Pascal also gets a massive raise next year so theres no way around it, to keep all 3 norm would probably have to go. His stock was super high pre covid so maybe he keeps it up.

More than likely I think Masai will pick a horse to tie his wagon to, either gasol or Ibaka and we lose the other. Gasol is the better player still and the option if you're pushing for another championship in the next year or 2 window. But he's quite a bit older and it shows, and his offense continues to fall off a cliff the last 2 or 3 years whereas Ibaka is still a great scorer in his Role. But he's definitely more replaceable than Marc, he's basically a good 6th man, you can find those. Marc is the key if you're trying to get Lowry another ring and add another piece.

it's a mess to figure out though, we will see what magic masai can pull off this time.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• July 31st is so far away
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        If we could somehow get Serge and Marc combined around ~35, and Kyle and fred combined around ~50, that's about as good as we could hope for. Who knows what the post covid market is for nba bigs. Probably not great. Right now Serge and Marc are closer to 48 combined so that would help, but Pascal also gets a massive raise next year so theres no way around it, to keep all 3 norm would probably have to go. His stock was super high pre covid so maybe he keeps it up.

More than likely I think Masai will pick a horse to tie his wagon to, either gasol or Ibaka and we lose the other. Gasol is the better player still and the option if you're pushing for another championship in the next year or 2 window. But he's quite a bit older and it shows, and his offense continues to fall off a cliff the last 2 or 3 years whereas Ibaka is still a great scorer in his Role. But he's definitely more replaceable than Marc, he's basically a good 6th man, you can find those. Marc is the key if you're trying to get Lowry another ring and add another piece.

it's a mess to figure out though, we will see what magic masai can pull off this time.
        I watched a random Kings game and found out Harry Giles is an unrestricted free agent this summer. We 100% go for him, fits the Raps big mold very well. Long, athletic, moves his feet very well. Has a pretty good feel for the game (granted i just watched a couple games) - shows in his passing game + a decent feel for defense considering young bigs. Think the only real reason the Kings would have given up on him is injury concern, but he held up well this year.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

I watched a random Kings game and found out Harry Giles is an unrestricted free agent this summer. We 100% go for him, fits the Raps big mold very well. Long, athletic, moves his feet very well. Has a pretty good feel for the game (granted i just watched a couple games) - shows in his passing game + a decent feel for defense considering young bigs. Think the only real reason the Kings would have given up on him is injury concern, but he held up well this year.
          Yep. I’ve had my eye on Giles as a potential under valued pro prospect. Injuries and Kangz haven’t helped his development. Looks like a guy who could thrive in the Raps culture.

Comment

• I get why people tend to put Serge and Gasol on the same boat given they're both vets at the same position with with contracts coming up at the same time, but they're actually over 4.5 years apart in age. Gasol will be 36 in January. Serge is actually a bit closer to Fred's age then he is to Gasol's.

Gasol is the better player now, and will likely have been the better player over the course of their careers, but Serge still has 3 or 4 years of high end basketball ahead of him. That's not the case for Gasol. That should be a big factor on their next deal, whether here or elsewhere.

For Gasol, I think you try a large 1yr deal (kinda like what they did for Lowry), to bridge the gap between now and the 2021 free agency. After that, I see him getting a couple more years on very team friendly deals, either here or elsewhere (like his brother Pau at the end), then chilling in Barcelona remembering his championships, and/or coaching the Spanish team. I think that would be perfect for both him and the Raps.

For Serge, I feel that realistically he's gonna get a similar deal to his current one: ~21M/yr for another 3 yrs (or whatever the covid cap equivalent to that is). I don't think you need to go higher than that for him to want to stay, but he's not gonna take a paycut either after being a key rotation piece on a team that just won a championship, and he won't take a 1yr deal at only 30yrs old and risk tanking his future value because of an injury or a meh playoff year.

To me personally, it will be about how this 21M would affect our ability to sign a max FA in 2021: If doesn't affect it (based on what else we're paying or not paying Fred & Norm), you keep Serge for that, sign a cheap backup C, and now you have your C rotation set for years. If it affects it, then you let him go, draft a promising PF/C combo as our 1st rounder and roll with that.
            Last edited by inthepaint; Tue Jun 9, 2020, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• I think you have to figure out which teams have the cap space to sign Serge. This free agency class looks so weak. Who are the top dogs? Davis is a lock to go back to LA. I think Drummond is going to opt in.. same with DeMar. I'd guess most players with player options on big deals will too.. like Hayward, Porter Jr and Conley.

In terms of bigs.. Gallo is a free agent. So are Whiteside, Favors, Baynes, Thompson and Biyombo (although none of these guys are floor spacers). Then you have the Morris twins, but I'm not sure if anyone one really wants either of those guys. Also Giles as was pointed out above.

Covid changes everything, but even without Covid, there aren't a lot of teams with big cap space numbers:
              https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-destinations

The top 5 teams with cap space for a max free agent are: Detroit, Charlotte, NY, Atlanta and Miami. Serge ain't getting a max deal.. but if he's getting something in the $15M range, you need a team with a good chunk of space.

Miami is the only playoff contender, and they have Bam. Would Serge go there to play a backup role again? It is Miami though which is intriguing I bet. But Miami also has their eyes on Giannis and probably won't jeopardize that.

Some teams can get creative and get the cap space they need. But it's going to be a tough year for everyone.

If Serge jets, we could replace him with someone like Giles, Baynes, or Thompson. I really like Baynes, and he's a willing 3pt shooter now.

I think Marc is more likely to leave. He's hit the age where most players become journey men. Meaning I don't think he'd hesitate to take a mid-level type of contract and play about 60-65 games a season + playoffs if he can get his 4 years. And I think he'll have a lot of suitors.

But Masai is the man. And who wouldn't want to play for him (well other than Kawhi I guess)?

Will definitely be an interesting off season, even though it will be in October.

Comment

• Gasol won his championship. He may want to win more, but it is also likely he signs with the team that can get him the most money and just play ball until he retires. I would love to have him come off the bench still but he did his job well here, got no complaints.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  I think you have to figure out which teams have the cap space to sign Serge. This free agency class looks so weak. Who are the top dogs? Davis is a lock to go back to LA. I think Drummond is going to opt in.. same with DeMar. I'd guess most players with player options on big deals will too.. like Hayward, Porter Jr and Conley.

In terms of bigs.. Gallo is a free agent. So are Whiteside, Favors, Baynes, Thompson and Biyombo (although none of these guys are floor spacers). Then you have the Morris twins, but I'm not sure if anyone one really wants either of those guys. Also Giles as was pointed out above.

Covid changes everything, but even without Covid, there aren't a lot of teams with big cap space numbers:
                  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-destinations

The top 5 teams with cap space for a max free agent are: Detroit, Charlotte, NY, Atlanta and Miami. Serge ain't getting a max deal.. but if he's getting something in the $15M range, you need a team with a good chunk of space.

Miami is the only playoff contender, and they have Bam. Would Serge go there to play a backup role again? It is Miami though which is intriguing I bet. But Miami also has their eyes on Giannis and probably won't jeopardize that.

Some teams can get creative and get the cap space they need. But it's going to be a tough year for everyone.

If Serge jets, we could replace him with someone like Giles, Baynes, or Thompson. I really like Baynes, and he's a willing 3pt shooter now.

I think Marc is more likely to leave. He's hit the age where most players become journey men. Meaning I don't think he'd hesitate to take a mid-level type of contract and play about 60-65 games a season + playoffs if he can get his 4 years. And I think he'll have a lot of suitors.

But Masai is the man. And who wouldn't want to play for him (well other than Kawhi I guess)?

Will definitely be an interesting off season, even though it will be in October.
                  I think any team would be nuts to give Gasol a 4 year deal at any rate. I think there's a good chance you absolutely eat the final 2 years of it. Although having value in other areas, his offense has already fallen off a cliff, what would he bring in another 3-4 years?

Comment

• Yea you offer Gasol a 1 year deal at double the MLE. He prob accepts that rather than search for term.

Comment

• I also wonder if Marc is getting to the point where, depending on what happens with the 2020 season, he starts thinking about a player-coach role in the Spanish League.

Comment

• On ESPN front page, Pascal is in there with Lebron, Kawhi and Giannis. In the background, lol, but still gotta love it. And Kawhi... damn. We could have had a dynasty here, bro.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                          On ESPN front page, Pascal is in there with Lebron, Kawhi and Giannis. In the background, lol, but still gotta love it. And Kawhi... damn. We could have had a dynasty here, bro.

Yep, these are the top players on each of the the top 4 teams in the league right now. Does that mean Siakam is in the top 5 among active players going into the bubble? Maybe not necessarily but if not I'd say pretty close. Close enough I think for us to tick the box saying "you gotta have one of these guys to win a title".

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Yep, these are the top players on each of the the top 4 teams in the league right now. Does that mean Siakam is in the top 5 among active players going into the bubble? Maybe not necessarily but if not I'd say pretty close. Close enough I think for us to tick the box saying "you gotta have one of these guys to win a title".
                            i dunno that i'd go that far. i mean, one of those four players is clearly not like the others.

by which i mean... giannis still really struggles as a jump shooter

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

You could argue that some GM's would trade our Batman/Alpha (Pascal) for one of their Robin's/Betas (Anthony Davis or Paul George)
                              Didn't say it was necessarily a good idea but the argument could be made; Davis in particular is a helluva player.

I don't think you could say the same for Giannis' Robin ....

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

You could argue that some GM's would trade our Batman/Alpha (Pascal) for one of their Robin's/Betas (Anthony Davis or Paul George)
                                Didn't say it was necessarily a good idea but the argument could be made; Davis in particular is a helluva player.

I don't think you could say the same for Giannis' Robin ....
                                Yeah our second best player (Lowry), is significantly better and more impactful then the Buck's second best player (Middleton). If we make the two team's third best a combo of Gasol/FVV and Lopez/Bledsoe, our guys also come ahead by quite a bit.

Does the difference between each team's 2nd/3rd/4th guys outweigh the difference between Siakam and Giannis? Maybe, maybe not, but I think it's a lot closer than what many people think.
                                Last edited by inthepaint; Tue Jun 9, 2020, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X