No announcement yet.

2020 End of Season / Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens if a player tests positive a week before tip off? Every player on the team they've been practicing with is supposed to self isolate for two weeks. You can't field a team for opening night....

What happens if a player somehow tests positive after game 1? Two teams can't play the next game(s)

Is this right?

Comment

• https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...ice-statement/

When basketball resumes, NBA players will be allowed to replace the last name on their jerseys with a statement on social justice, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic.

The NBPA provided players with the initial details of this plan on Saturday night, Charania reported, as the latest step in discussions between the NBA and players union regarding various ways players can advocate for social justice during the season restart.

Earlier this month, Kyrie Irving led a players-only conference call centred on unity, systemic racism and investing in communities with over 80 basketball players from the NBA and WNBA, according to multiple reports, which sparked broader conversations over how the NBA’s return-to-play plan may impact the current racial justice movement across the United States.

Since then, commissioner Adam Silver and players union head Michele Roberts have spoken about the importance of finding a way for the NBA’s return to help advance the conversation surrounding racial injustice, not subtract from it.

That desire was evidenced in the NBA’s return-to-play plan itself, which read in part that “the goal of the season restart will be to find tangible and sustainable ways to address racial inequality across the country.”

Currently the NBA’s plan is to resume its season, which was suspended in mid-March due to the novel coronavirus, on July 30.

Comment

• I have a few suggestions:

- ‘Free Hong Kong’
        - Divest from China, Disney
        - No more Chinese sweatshops Nike

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
          I have a few suggestions:

- ‘Free Hong Kong’
          - Divest from China, Disney
          - No more Chinese sweatshops Nike
          Are we playing the three-statements-we're-not-likely-to-see game?

How about Defund the Unions?

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
            What happens if a player tests positive a week before tip off? Every player on the team they've been practicing with is supposed to self isolate for two weeks. You can't field a team for opening night....

What happens if a player somehow tests positive after game 1? Two teams can't play the next game(s)

Is this right?
            Can't they test all other team members immediately in that case? That would eliminate the need for the precautionary contact isolations.

What definitely could happen, and has in some other sports already, is all of a sudden 6-7 guys have it and not just 1. If that happens, that team is pretty much shot. What if that happens during the playoffs? Could ruin the whole thing in a later round.
            ​​
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Can't they test all other team members immediately in that case? That would eliminate the need for the precautionary contact isolations.

What definitely could happen, and has in some other sports already, is all of a sudden 6-7 guys have it and not just 1. If that happens, that team is pretty much shot. What if that happens during the playoffs? Could ruin the whole thing in a later round.
              ​​
              Can't you have no symptoms for 2 weeks? Or can they still test you on day 1 and test positive with no symptoms?

Comment

Can't you have no symptoms for 2 weeks? Or can they still test you on day 1 and test positive with no symptoms?
                I remember Woj or Shams talking about this point. There will be false positives.. and that's why the NBA is planning on taking sometimes multiple tests a day. But yeah if a player gets it, and a second test confirms it.. they'll have to sit out for 14 days and get retested before they can play again. The NBA will treat it like an injury.

Teams can bring up to 17 players with them. And I think a team has to have 8 guys playing otherwise they have to forfeit. So that means if a team loses 10 or more guys they won't be able to play. I think that's probably unlikely considering only 16 out of 302 players got it so far and they weren't even in a bubble.

Comment

I thnk everyone is getting tested regularly (every day or every other day) regardless.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I thnk everyone is getting tested regularly (every day or every other day) regardless.
                    Their nostrils are gonna be yuge....

Comment

Their nostrils are gonna be yuge....
                      NBA is mainly going to use antibody (blood) tests. Shams had reported that they will use the nasal swab if someone leaves the bubble and comes back. But otherwise I think they will just get the finger poke.

Comment

What happens if a player tests positive a week before tip off? Every player on the team they've been practicing with is supposed to self isolate for two weeks. You can't field a team for opening night....

Is this right?
                        From what I've read the player isolates but the teammates do not. So games continue. Daily testing should curb or minimize asymptomatic spread. We will see obviously.

I think this is the wording in their return to play document:

"Should an individual return a positive test, they'll be subjected to a second test as soon as possible to help rule out the chance of a false positive. Given that second test is positive, they'll be sequestered in "isolation housing," which the league describes as "a house, hotel, or other facilities that are different from the individual's previous hotel room and at a location in which no individuals who have not tested positive are residing. While there, they will have access to cleaning services and meal delivery. Professionals will facilitate medical care via teleconference unless in-person aid becomes necessary.
                        In order to return from isolation housing and rejoin the main NBA bubble, previously infectious individuals will need to be free of all COVID-19 symptoms, return two negative PCR tests more than 24 hours apart, and receive a positive medical evaluation from the league's designated physicians. Additionally, players will be subjected to cardiac screening prior to returning to the hardwood."

Edit--From what we know, the Raptors played against Rudy Gobert and Utah on March 9th. And no raptors tested positive despite close contact. A lot of his teammates did not catch it either. Rudy tested positive on the 11th.
                        Last edited by Rudy Bargnani; Sun Jun 28, 2020, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• Picks Raptors to win EC
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Picks Raptors to win EC
                            Coach Nick just loves our Coach Nick. He used to rip Casey pretty much every chance he got.

Comment

• Good Raptor perspective on starting things up from ESPN. I like having Bontemps on our beat

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...y-world-bubble

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                                Good Raptor perspective on starting things up from ESPN. I like having Bontemps on our beat

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...y-world-bubble
                                Interesting nugget in the middle of that article: Per RPM we have the 4th highest odds to make the finals out of the 22 teams, as well as the 3rd highest chance to win the championship (repeat)

Comment

Working...
                                X