2020 End of Season / Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I forget where I saw it now, but I believe teams have to report to Orlando between July 7, 8 and 9 (each team has a schedule and I remember the Raptors are on the last day). So that's probably the hard deadline day for each player to decide if they want to report to camp or not.
    right. but teams were meant to be finalizing their travelling parties yesterday which is why there was a 'hard' deadline. i guess they can include those questionable players for now on the list even if those players may still opt out, which is what the oladipo article implied (link fixed). i would imagine that might have repercussions for adding replacement players at a later date though.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

right. but teams were meant to be finalizing their travelling parties yesterday which is why there was a 'hard' deadline. i guess they can include those questionable players for now on the list even if those players may still opt out, which is what the oladipo article implied (link fixed). i would imagine that might have repercussions for adding replacement players at a later date though.
      Players were supposed to notify teams if they were opting out by June 24 and teams had to submit rosters on July 1. But given the circumstances - health, social, and personal - it would look really bad for the league to take a hard line with guys like Dwight right now, so not surprising they're willing to show some flexibility.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Players were supposed to notify teams if they were opting out by June 24 and teams had to submit rosters on July 1. But given the circumstances - health, social, and personal - it would look really bad for the league to take a hard line with guys like Dwight right now, so not surprising they're willing to show some flexibility.
        howard i understand. oladipo less so.

Comment

• Anyone see this pop up today?

More here:
          https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29401150

Play would be similar to a summer league format, with the specific parameters still being discussed.

The Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Hornets, Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers, Detroit Pistons, Golden State Warriors, Minnesota Timberwolves and the Knicks were the eight teams not invited to Orlando for the league's restart.

"How they frame it is almost irrelevant to us," one general manager told ESPN. "It's more a chance to get our young guys out there working with some game simulation."

Feels like the other players/teams feel left out and want their own games. Could see some local fans wanting to see those games. If not just regular every day fans of the NBA starving for anything. Would be surprised if guys like Steph, Blake, Love, KAT etc go though.

Comment

Anyone see this pop up today?

More here:

Feels like the other players/teams feel left out and want their own games. Could see some local fans wanting to see those games. If not just regular every day fans of the NBA starving for anything. Would be surprised if guys like Steph, Blake, Love, KAT etc go though.
            This just looks and smells like the NIT ....
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

• https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...covid-19-test/
              Report: Clippers close practice facility after positive COVID-19 test

The Los Angeles Clippers have closed their practice facility to players and staff as a precaution following a positive COVID-19 test in the team’s travelling party headed to Orlando next week, according to ESPN‘s Adrian Wojnarowski.

Comment

• https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...ments-raptors/

TORONTO – Toronto Raptors rookie Terence Davis II isn’t a rookie anymore.

And as contradictory as that sounds, know that there’s some truth to that statement.

The only Raptors player to get into all 64 games before the COVID-19-mandated suspension of the season, Davis has enjoyed a trial-by-fire rookie campaign that’s seen him go through his fair share of growing pains, but in the end saw him emerge as a trusted and valued member of the team who’s no longer allowed to get away with lapses in judgment like other rookies might.

“These guys, if I make a mistake, I’m not a rookie anymore,” said Davis in a conference call Thursday. “I think I heard someone say that.”

Though it won’t officially be marked down, when the Raptors tip off their season resumption against the Los Angeles Lakers on Aug. 1, it will sort of feel like Davis’ second season in the league.

At the very least, Davis is talking about the season reset like it’s a brand-new season.

“I would come into this more mature, being that I went through three-fourths of a season, just growing up, man, maturing, taking the steps in the right direction,” said Davis “These guys, Fred [VanVleet], Kyle [Lowry], Marc [Gasol], Norm [Powell], all these guys, man, they make sure the young guys are where they need to be, because to them, it’s everything. These guys are defending their title. You wanna be a part of that.”

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

This just looks and smells like the NIT ....
                  More like Drew League on steroids.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

More like Drew League on steroids.
                    Well, that certainly sounds better than nothing!
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                      https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...covid-19-test/
                      Report: Clippers close practice facility after positive COVID-19 test

The Los Angeles Clippers have closed their practice facility to players and staff as a precaution following a positive COVID-19 test in the team’s travelling party headed to Orlando next week, according to ESPN‘s Adrian Wojnarowski.
                      Totally speculating here, but I would guess Mr. Load Management has a very cautious view of covid and protecting his health. I wonder what his thoughts on going to Orlando are.
                      At the same time he probably loves social distancing and hasn't left his house in 3 months. Rewatching terrible shows on Netflix and doing that Kawhi laugh.

Comment

Anyone see this pop up today?

More here:

The other issue is the local TV contracts they have in place. They'll fulfill their national contract by holding the play in games and playoffs, but a big chunk of the revenue they are trying to save is local TV deals, which all have force majeur clauses and if those teams can't broadcast a certain minimum number of games locally, they'll lose some of the money from those deals. This was always secondary to the primary bubble, but honestly it's a little surprising we hadn't heard more about it until now.

I do think it's possible that as a whole, the league loses a bit of money doing this (setting up a bubble is expensive), but the owners with those local TV deals would have been pushing hard to make sure they weren't taking the brunt of that lost revenue when the owners whose teams made the playoffs were going to be made whole (well, as whole as it gets in this scenario) by the bubble. Could have been accomplished via some revenue sharing mechanism, but good luck convincing some owners to just hand over money to others very easily. And this solves some of the worries about what to do with those players on teams who didn't make it - now players can likely still opt out and not get paid, or opt in and get paid, but there's no gray area with the eliminated teams' players not having to make the same hard choice as the players in the playoffs.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/cel...181254472.html

YAHOOOOOO

HAYWAD REAL SCARED OF RAPS SWEEP OF CELTICS

SO SCARED

HE'S FINDING EVERY EXCUSE 2 LEAVE THE BUBBLEE

DID HE not hear FAMILIES CAN COME TO THE BUBBLE AFTER THE FIRST ROUND OF THE PLAYOFFS

I BET U COULD BRING SOME HOSPITLA PPL

BUT OH NO OH NO

HE HAS TO LEAVE BCZ HAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHHAA

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWWOWOWOWOOWOOWOWOOWWOWOWOWOWOWOOWWO W

REMEMBER WHEN THE CELTICS/ISAIaH "FAILED CAREER" THOMAS WERE EXCITED 4 THE WAD OF HAY TO JOIN THE #FAKEHISTORICNBA TEAM CELTICS??

HAHHAHHAHAH

BOY "PEAKED TO SOON" GENIUS BRAD STEVENS HOW DOES HE FEEL NOW

AHAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHHAAH

#RAPTORSNBACHAMPS2020

#BACK2BACK

#KAWHI2021

#BETTERTHANGS

#BESTOFALLTIME

#SELLBOSTON

#MOVEBOSTON

#BOYCOTTBOSTON

#HANDLESSWADOFHAY

Comment

• https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...art-nba-season

Indiana Pacers guard Victor Oladipo will not join his team for the NBA restart in Orlando, Florida, he told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski on Friday.

Oladipo had been hesitant to commit to join the Pacers at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex due to the risk of reinjuring his quadriceps tendon.

The 28-year-old Oladipo appeared in 13 games during the 2019-20 season before the coronavirus pandemic suspended play. He was averaging 13.8 points, 3.2 rebounds and 3.0 assists in a career-low 25.9 minutes per game as he tried to work himself back into shape following the extended time off for a ruptured quadriceps tendon.

The Pacers (39-26) are currently the No. 5 seed in the Eastern Conference. Their first game of the resumption of the NBA season is set for Aug. 1 against the Philadelphia 76ers.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                              https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...ments-raptors/

TORONTO – Toronto Raptors rookie Terence Davis II isn’t a rookie anymore.

And as contradictory as that sounds, know that there’s some truth to that statement.

The only Raptors player to get into all 64 games before the COVID-19-mandated suspension of the season, Davis has enjoyed a trial-by-fire rookie campaign that’s seen him go through his fair share of growing pains, but in the end saw him emerge as a trusted and valued member of the team who’s no longer allowed to get away with lapses in judgment like other rookies might.

“These guys, if I make a mistake, I’m not a rookie anymore,” said Davis in a conference call Thursday. “I think I heard someone say that.”

Though it won’t officially be marked down, when the Raptors tip off their season resumption against the Los Angeles Lakers on Aug. 1, it will sort of feel like Davis’ second season in the league.

At the very least, Davis is talking about the season reset like it’s a brand-new season.

“I would come into this more mature, being that I went through three-fourths of a season, just growing up, man, maturing, taking the steps in the right direction,” said Davis “These guys, Fred [VanVleet], Kyle [Lowry], Marc [Gasol], Norm [Powell], all these guys, man, they make sure the young guys are where they need to be, because to them, it’s everything. These guys are defending their title. You wanna be a part of that.”
                              He's not a rookie anymore. These guys just had 5 months off. Five. A normal NBA offseason is 3 months - July-September.

When they resume the season later this month, it's going to be like a completely new season. The Bucks were the most dominant team before play was suspended, they were probably the heavy favorite to come out of the East. Now? who knows? I'd probably put my money on the field.

Young phenoms like Luka Doncic and Jayson Tatum should be a lot better when they resume play. They just had a full offseason. And I think that's why a lot of people are picking the Celtics to come out of the East.
                              Last edited by The Great One; Fri Jul 3, 2020, 05:40 PM.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

He's not a rookie anymore. These guys just had 5 months off. Five. A normal NBA offseason is 3 months - July-September.

When they resume the season later this month, it's going to be like a completely new season. The Bucks were the most dominant team before play was suspended, they were probably the heavy favorite to come out of the East. Now? who knows? I'd probably put my money on the field.

Young phenoms like Luka Doncic and Jayson Tatum should be a lot better when they resume play. They just had a full offseason. And I think that's why a lot of people are picking the Celtics to come out of the East.
                                Every single year there's tons of people picking the Celtics to come out of the East.

"Oh they're gonna be great with Kyrie! Finals lock!"
                                "Oh they're gonna be great without Kyrie! Finals lock!"
                                "Oh they're gonna win 65 games, it'll be high-fives everywhere" (Bill Simmons)

A Celtics-Lakers finals is the ultimate NBA's wet dream, so the media will brown-nose them till the end of times. The reality is, it'd be extremely hard for them to beat the Bucks in a 7 game series. I think they could make it to the 2nd round or even the ECF, but also I think that if they draw Philly on the first round they could be bounced right there too, especially now that Hayward won't play.

Comment

Working...
                                X