Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great One wrote: View Post
    I want action.

What are they actually doing to combat racial prejudice/injustice. A march and BLM sign I guess is a nice gesture but that's not really gonna accomplish anything.
    what do you actually suggest? that the NBA convene in a bubble in orlando to work on drafting legislation to enact meaningful policy change?

you might be disappointed. their influence on the matter is largely limited to raising awareness, which the buses and the t-shirts and slogans on jerseys are doing.

Comment

• Trudeau has apologized
      Let the season begin ....

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

what do you actually suggest? that the NBA convene in a bubble in orlando to work on drafting legislation to enact meaningful policy change?

you might be disappointed. their influence on the matter is largely limited to raising awareness, which the buses and the t-shirts and slogans on jerseys are doing.
        No NBA player will wear or work with Nike until they stop operating factories in countries like China and open factories in the US that provide jobs in black communities. Just one idea. I have others.

Comment

• The nba pre approved list of generic words for jersey names is corny. Just another sign that corporate America has co opted black lives matter for branding.
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

No NBA player will wear or work with Nike until they stop operating factories in countries like China and open factories in the US that provide jobs in black communities. Just one idea. I have others.
            There is using your fame and your money - one of those is much more impactful than the other. Its about whats going on behind the scenes, which we don't know much about. I have no doubt the most impactful guys are the quietest publicly right now.

Comment

sounds like a nice enough idea. maybe a bit much to expect the players to take on labor conditions in china and tackle systemic racial inequality at home at the same time though? likely risking their careers while they're at it?

Comment

Great idea.
                lebron?
                Lead the way, make it "your mission"!

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

sounds like a nice enough idea. maybe a bit much to expect the players to take on labor conditions in china and tackle systemic racial inequality at home at the same time though? likely risking their careers while they're at it?
                  Not sure I follow how it risks their careers. Maybe risks one of their endorsements.
                  But any player with significant shoe/apparel endorsements already makes 10-40M per year anyways.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    The nba pre approved list of generic words for jersey names is corny. Just another sign that corporate America has co opted black lives matter for branding.
                    most of them, agreed.

Comment

• The NBA is an entertainment business. They're pretty good at the social conscience side of things, especially compared to other NA pro leagues, but end of the day they are still a for profit entertainment business. The players will have opinions, and they should. The league has a choice to make statements or not. But the real work will not be done by these people, as always it will be done by activists, legislators, and grassroots community leaders. Those are different people entirely and the NBA is not at fault for not being those people.

That said, pro sports leagues play an important role in creating job opportunities and role models for people from disadvantaged communities. Don't underrated how important that is.

One thing celebrities really can do is use their platform for the voices who need to be heard. Share follows, links, guest speakers, etc. A lot of these guys have podcasts, vlogs, huge social media accounts. Step aside and loan your platform to the people who need to be heard. It doesn't need to be about you any more than it needs to be about Jimmy Fallon and Gal Gadot. Let the streets speak.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Not sure I follow how it risks their careers. Maybe risks one of their endorsements.
                        But any player with significant shoe/apparel endorsements already makes 10-40M per year anyways.
                        it's essentially refusing to play given that nike manufacture the uniforms, for one thing. it would also be taking on the nba and not just nike, since they make a shitload of money from the chinese market and it would cause a geopolitical shitstorm. i can't imagine the league would take too kindly to it.

Comment

• A different bubble that did not work:

Buenos Aires (AFP) - Argentina is trying to solve a medical mystery after 57 sailors were infected with the coronavirus after 35 days at sea, despite the entire crew testing negative before leaving port.
                          According to the ministry, 57 sailors, out of 61 crew members, were diagnosed with the virus after undergoing a new test.

However, all of the crew members had undergone 14 days of mandatory quarantine at a hotel in the city of Ushuaia. Prior to that, they had negative results, the ministry said in a statement.
                          https://news.yahoo.com/mystery-argen...035702418.html

Something doesn't look right with this picture. They did a 14 day iso, then were tested and then went to work in a bubble for 35 days before they pulled the plug.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                            A different bubble that did not work:

Something doesn't look right with this picture. They did a 14 day iso, then were tested and then went to work in a bubble for 35 days before they pulled the plug.
                            Yes. Suspect somebody didn't REALLY isolate. Odd that they don't mention when the cases started appearing. And they do mention that they took on supplies from "the port of Ushuaia" without saying how that was managed.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                              A different bubble that did not work:

Rona was already on the boat.....probably the toilet seat

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Rona was already on the boat.....probably the toilet seat
                                That's one possibility. I'm curious to know when they grew suspicious of something not being right. Did they turn a blind eye for a time?

Comment

Working...
                                X