2020 End of Season / Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R. wrote: View Post
    Knicks hired Thibs. Idiots. Is RJ's NBA career doomed? Hard to recover after spending early years in such an incompetent organization. Thibs will not be good for his development.
    I was really hoping they would hire Jason Kidd...not because I don't like Thibs.. but because it would eliminate the Knicks as a contender to the raps for yet another extended period of time. Kidds offense scheme kept the Bucks at .500 ....even with The Alphabet.

Who knows.. maybe Thibs can turn Barrett into a reasonable facsimile of Rose before his knee injuries.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

I was really hoping they would hire Jason Kidd...not because I don't like Thibs.. but because it would eliminate the Knicks as a contender to the raps for yet another extended period of time. Kidds offense scheme kept the Bucks at .500 ....even with The Alphabet.

Who knows.. maybe Thibs can turn Barrett into a reasonable facsimile of Rose before his knee injuries.
      That comp is mostly just insulting to Rose... lol. RJ can be ok, but I don't see the athleticism or the skill required to be a premier guy in the league.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

That comp is mostly just insulting to Rose... lol. RJ can be ok, but I don't see the athleticism or the skill required to be a premier guy in the league.
        And the most likely thing for Thibs to be able to replicate is the injuries, considering how heavily he plays his star players.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Not that i'm complaining, but why Thibs? he's been fired multiple times already. There's a reason why. Why keep recycling all these coaches? why not hire a new one? it just makes no sense to me. This happens in every sport. Like, the New Jersey Devils a couple of weeks ago hired Lindy Ruff lol. That guy has been fired 5 times as an NHL head coach. Do they expect him to magically turn into a great head coach? lol.

Anyway, great job Knicks!
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
            Not that i'm complaining, but why Thibs? he's been fired multiple times already. There's a reason why. Why keep recycling all these coaches? why not hire a new one? it just makes no sense to me. This happens in every sport. Like, the New Jersey Devils a couple of weeks ago hired Lindy Ruff lol. That guy has been fired 5 times as an NHL head coach. Do they expect him to magically turn into a great head coach? lol.

Thibs is another indication that James Dolan is still running this organization.

Probably will fire Thibs in another 2-3 seasons.

Another clue for Masai that Dolan isn't simply going to step aside and let him run things the way he wants in New York if he ever desired to change organization.
            Last edited by Hotshot; Sat Jul 25, 2020, 10:05 PM.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

Thibs is another indication that James Dolan is still running this organization.

Probably will fire Thibs in another 2-3 seasons.

Another clue for Masai that Dolan isn't simply going to step aside and let him run things the way he wants in New York if he ever desired to change organization.
              From what I've read, Thibs is a Leon Rose guy (used to be his agent). Totally fits the Dolan MO but this may have been the work of two great minds

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                Not that i'm complaining, but why Thibs? he's been fired multiple times already. There's a reason why. Why keep recycling all these coaches? why not hire a new one? it just makes no sense to me. This happens in every sport. Like, the New Jersey Devils a couple of weeks ago hired Lindy Ruff lol. That guy has been fired 5 times as an NHL head coach. Do they expect him to magically turn into a great head coach? lol.

Yah but even Scotty Bowman coached 5 different teams

Comment

hes just a year in.....
                  if hes still scuffling along with 3 for 14 nights every few games in his 3rd year then we'll know.
                  there doesn't seem to be an upgrade over him in his draft class after his selection..... maybe Hunter in Atlanta might pan out better but not materially better.
                  There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                  - TGO

Comment

• The Thibs Cycle is pretty well established. The Knicks will be better than last year. He'll also run his best players into the ground and play vets on short contracts more than prospects because his MO is always win now. He'll get regular season wins. He may get them to the playoffs where they'll be an easy out.

Then injuries start to come to his super high usage guys. And he pulls in former players he likes who aren't actually that good. And at some point maybe 2 seasons in, he starts to lose the locker room.

Over the next season or two, he also steps on too many toes in the front office, because he's just as demanding there as he is with the players.

Then he gets fired, nobody top to bottom in the organization really likes him anymore, he leaves behind a treadmill team and a bunch of burned bridges.

That's what Thibs does. Anyone high on RJ Barrett should be somewhat concerned. RJ's more in the vein of KAT and Wiggins, who Thibs could never figure out how to coach. He loves a D-Rose or Jimmy Butler, guys who honestly don't actually really need him to be their coach. I'm thinking there's more KAT/Wiggins in RJ than Butler/Rose. But it is still early, maybe they all prove me wrong.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• The big problem for the Raptors (or other teams in the East) is that RJ has committed to play for Team Canada. That means he will get exposed to an excellent coach and assistants who could help his development. So he may improve despite Thibs, and that makes for more difficult games against the Knicks.

On the flip side, a few more years of no or negative development under Thibs may cause his value to plummet. After exposure to Nurse with the national team, RJ may like what he sees, and wind up on the Raps in the future, where he could have the possibility of reaching his potential. His career would be saved, the Raptors get more Canadian content (a big win for the development of the game in Canada) and an upper percentile player.

Overall, I see this hiring as a net positive for the Raptors and Canada Basketball.

Comment

• Thibs couldn't get anything done in Minny until they got Butler who left kicking and screaming. NY is still not going to get anyone significant to play there. Their best chance of success was to continue to develop the young guys properly and use the draft to continue to get assets.

Kenny Atkinson should have been the guy as he has proven in Brooklyn that he can develop young guys. He helped get that team good enough to entice two top tier free agents to sign there.

Thibs is an okay coach if given the right players. He's defensive minded which means Mitchell Robinson should finally get some real playing time. RJ should get better on defense too.. and unlike Wiggins will try on that end of the ball.

But yeah, watch for NY to get some "Thibs" type of players. They already have Taj Gibson who'll probably get like 35-40 minutes per night.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

hes just a year in.....
                          if hes still scuffling along with 3 for 14 nights every few games in his 3rd year then we'll know.
                          there doesn't seem to be an upgrade over him in his draft class after his selection..... maybe Hunter in Atlanta might pan out better but not materially better.
                          I can pretty confidently say that RJ will never be as good as Rose was, and their play styles are completely different so the comparison is just off for me. Also, Deandre Hunter is quite easily better than RJ now and likely in the future. I'm not trying to hate on RJ because I want him to succeed but I'm not sure I see a world where him at his best is really a difference maker in the NBA. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Comment

I can pretty confidently say that RJ will never be as good as Rose was, and their play styles are completely different so the comparison is just off for me. Also, Deandre Hunter is quite easily better than RJ now and likely in the future. I'm not trying to hate on RJ because I want him to succeed but I'm not sure I see a world where him at his best is really a difference maker in the NBA. I'd love to be proven wrong.
                            Who's a good comp? Pretty similar rookie numbers to Oladipo, although he was 21.
                            ​​​
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

It's too early to tell.

RJ is more then capable to clean up his game with the right coaching and system. This is why when it comes to another Canadian Wiggins, the move from Minni to GS will absolutely do wonders for his stagnant career. Got a good coach, a stud point guard and a system in place to ensure he will be in capable hands.

The Knicks have never been good at developing their young players, one of the worst in the league in running an organization top to bottom.

Comment

• I like RJ but I think he's in a really shitty situation. Getting minutes isn't the most important thing. The most important thing is learning to be a pro and that's true for all fields, not just basketball.

Comment

Working...
                                X