2020 End of Season / Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

That may be true for the most part around here but I'm not so sure overall. If you're active on newspaper sites, there's a totally different experience. Many PC stories don't allow comments at all so only the parent company views can be heard.
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article...hletes-notice/

Every single comment is reviewed now before posting. I wondered if it was just me for some reason and posted "Is every comment moderated now?" That exact question was "waiting for moderation" and then "Content disabled"
    Why?
    It says "violated community guidelines" aka don't dare question....

The CBC site bans commenters for the most benign things that are critical of their masters opinions, especially political parties that keep them afloat.

Free speech or the ability for open discourse (which I agree is not free reign to post whatever you want without consequences) is dying a slow and painful death as they seek to control people's thoughts and minds. Only "radicals" care that we're not that far from those knocks in the night that you referenced.

But yah, f the Celtics
    I'm glad newspaper comment sections are being closed and moderated. Reading them makes me lose faith in humanity
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      I'm glad newspaper comment sections are being closed and moderated. Reading them makes me lose faith in humanity
      Man the Internet has a lot of shit to figure out. 5G, anti-vaxxers, flat earth, racists and bigots - intentionally and unintentionally we've got algorithms clustering idiots together and propagating stupid ideologies. Never mind the bad actors abusing the infrastructure to intentionally spread misinformation (Cambridge Analytica details are a bit scary and didn't get much attention after passing out of the news cycle).

I think we're just starting to acknowledge this with tech companies being pressured into more active moderating. Then you get into the free speech/censorship issue, but honestly let's deal with that one instead of this unfettered shitstorm.

I got off of Facebook in 2016 because I didn't want to know the uncensored political opinions of friends/contacts. I mean you can have whatever opinion if you're thoughtful/informed, it was more the idiocy that was such a disappointment.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        OK but it also prevents an exchange of ideas, opposing views to be tabled, an open dialogue and democratic principles.
        Otherwise you simply get the leanings of ownership, making it easier to influence elections for instance.

Curbing or eliminating the exchange of ideas from the general population is never a good idea. Moderated posts should be similar to what most websites list as a general code of conduct. Many are way way way beyond that now. Accepting that is dangerous.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Man the Internet has a lot of shit to figure out. 5G, anti-vaxxers, flat earth, racists and bigots - intentionally and unintentionally we've got algorithms clustering idiots together and propagating stupid ideologies. Never mind the bad actors abusing the infrastructure to intentionally spread misinformation (Cambridge Analytica details are a bit scary and didn't get much attention after passing out of the news cycle).

I think we're just starting to acknowledge this with tech companies being pressured into more active moderating. Then you get into the free speech/censorship issue, but honestly let's deal with that one instead of this unfettered shitstorm.

I got off of Facebook in 2016 because I didn't want to know the uncensored political opinions of friends/contacts. I mean you can have whatever opinion if you're thoughtful/informed, it was more the idiocy that was such a disappointment.
          Yeah I'm kinda proud I never did fb

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Thats EXACTLY why I got off of Facebook 6 week ago likely forgot and haven't looked back. When my friends and family ask me why I just say "I got tired of reading angry political rants every day, and found myself coming away from scrolling thru FB grumpier than when I went in"...some of them stare at my blankly but some get it.

And trust me when I say it's a lot worse in 2020 than it was even then. You dumped your stock at the right time.

Comment

OK but it also prevents an exchange of ideas, opposing views to be tabled, an open dialogue and democratic principles.
              Otherwise you simply get the leanings of ownership, making it easier to influence elections for instance.

Curbing or eliminating the exchange of ideas from the general population is never a good idea. Moderated posts should be similar to what most websites list as a general code of conduct. Many are way way way beyond that now. Accepting that is dangerous.
              I find a good rule for the internet is this: if you can't put your name and face and identity behind your statement, because you would look like an awful person, you shouldn't be allowed to say it. If you're verified, comment away.

Better yet as a rule: would you say those things to someones face at your local pub? I try to live by that (and maybe I'm not perfect, I think Joey has had to slap my wrist a time or thrice in my younger days when RR was bustling), but the internet has allowed a lot of people to talk shit who should have been punched in the face a million times over.

Comment

How we long for the glory days of 50 years ago when we could comment under our newspaper articles to our hearts’ content.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

How we long for the glory days of 50 years ago when we could comment under our newspaper articles to our hearts’ content.
                  Don't understand "under our newspaper articles" but OK

Comment

• OK...another couple of days for Kyle's ankle to.get better. Hayward isnt walking in the door.
                    Fuck Boston.
                    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                      OK...another couple of days for Kyle's ankle to.get better. Hayward isnt walking in the door.
                      Fuck Boston.
                      The best thing about Rick Pitino's "Walking Thru That Door" rant is that it was triggered by a Celtics loss to the Raptors on a Vince Carter buzzer beater.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

The best thing about Rick Pitino's "Walking Thru That Door" rant is that it was triggered by a Celtics loss to the Raptors on a Vince Carter buzzer beater.

A classic tidbit of FUCK BOSTON History.
                        Lets keep up the tradition.
                        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                        - TGO

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

wow history runs deep
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• So are there going to be games tomorrow?
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

wow history runs deep
                              I just noticed that’s Adrian Griffin who VC nailed the jumper over. Lol.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                                So are there going to be games tomorrow?

According to Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports, after extensive meetings Wednesday night and into Thursday morning, there was a change in position among LeBron James and other players that it was in their best interest to finish the campaign in the bubble.

In a statement released on Thursday, the NBA says it is “hopeful to resume games either Friday or Saturday.”

Comment

Working...
                                X