2020 End of Season / Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
    MJ was also known around the world on a scale that was almost Ali-esque. It could be argued that in this day of internet and social media, Jordan would be even more popular today. Not in the SJW sort of way but from a purely sports talent angle.
    There was something different about the 80s and 90s that is gone today. The Global Name. Jordan, Tyson, Gretzky, Hulk Hogan, Michael Jackson, Eminem, Tom Cruise, you name it, think of "that version" of them today, and nobody reaches those iconic levels anymore. Lebron is there, but he came out in 2004, part of an older era, nobody that debuted after 2010 is worldwide iconic.

It's just changed now, too much shit to do, watch, see, experience. Back then, everybody watched the same TV show at the same time (Seinfeld finale had like a billion people, nobody even cares about comedies anymore). So in that sense, I think Michael Jordan came along at the perfect time.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

There was something different about the 80s and 90s that is gone today. The Global Name. Jordan, Tyson, Gretzky, Hulk Hogan, Michael Jackson, Eminem, Tom Cruise, you name it, think of "that version" of them today, and nobody reaches those iconic levels anymore. Lebron is there, but he came out in 2004, part of an older era, nobody that debuted after 2010 is worldwide iconic.

It's just changed now, too much shit to do, watch, see, experience. Back then, everybody watched the same TV show at the same time (Seinfeld finale had like a billion people, nobody even cares about comedies anymore). So in that sense, I think Michael Jordan came along at the perfect time.
      I was just chastised for this on the other thread. Music was better then too
      Who are the epic bands of the 2010's that will still be relevant an doing yet another "last world tour" in 20 years?

Comment

• Absolutely, pop culture has fragmented. Side effect of so much content being available on demand at all times. There used to be media gatekeepers and you only actually had access to a limited amount of stuff (including TV, movies, music, sports, etc.). So a lot of people experienced the same things at the same time. Now there's just a shit load. I haven't had regular access to a major broadcast network or national paper in years, for example. I don't listen to the radio, either. Everybody's doing their own thing.

But also everybody's a critic. Are there international stars everyone's just a fan of the way they used to be of Michael Jackson in the 80's or Jordan in the 90's? I don't think so. Anybody who gets big enough seems to have just as many haters as fans now. Social media is super negative (I don't know why any NBA payers are on it, you see the shit they get in their IG posts and tweet replies?)
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
          Absolutely, pop culture has fragmented. Side effect of so much content being available on demand at all times. There used to be media gatekeepers and you only actually had access to a limited amount of stuff (including TV, movies, music, sports, etc.). So a lot of people experienced the same things at the same time. Now there's just a shit load. I haven't had regular access to a major broadcast network or national paper in years, for example. I don't listen to the radio, either. Everybody's doing their own thing.

But also everybody's a critic. Are there international stars everyone's just a fan of the way they used to be of Michael Jackson in the 80's or Jordan in the 90's? I don't think so. Anybody who gets big enough seems to have just as many haters as fans now. Social media is super negative (I don't know why any NBA payers are on it, you see the shit they get in their IG posts and tweet replies?)
          (Most) NBA players crave the same thing all humans crave. Validation, self esteem, ego boost. The like button releases endorphins to all, rich or poor.
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I don't watch a lot of NFL so with the NHL and NBA over and MLB winding down, what to do for November and December besides survive? Get out for some hikes with the dog, play a little tennis, shoot some outdoor hoops? Lots of raking to do ....
            I started watching Premier League (soccer) which is something to keep me going for the next few months. DAZN has NFL and Premier/Champions league rights in Canada so it's not a bad thing for a few months.

Comment

Absolutely, pop culture has fragmented. Side effect of so much content being available on demand at all times. There used to be media gatekeepers and you only actually had access to a limited amount of stuff (including TV, movies, music, sports, etc.). So a lot of people experienced the same things at the same time. Now there's just a shit load. I haven't had regular access to a major broadcast network or national paper in years, for example. I don't listen to the radio, either. Everybody's doing their own thing.

There's a ton of truth in that.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

I started watching Premier League (soccer) which is something to keep me going for the next few months. DAZN has NFL and Premier/Champions league rights in Canada so it's not a bad thing for a few months.
                I have tons to do in the three weeks with labour intensive properties to get ready for the shatty weather and work is busy. I have never used Netflix the way it was intended, more just to look for the odd weekend movie. It's getting more of a workout now. But just like when all the league's shut down a few months ago, my need for a sports fix lessened over time. November can be a long boring month, get out adventure training with the dogs more

Comment

Regarding gatekeepers, I'm grateful that we don't have to experience most of our basketball analysis through the lens of hacks like: Doug Smith, Steve Simmons and even that puck-head Damien Cox.

RR is living proof that they're only advantage those old sportswriters had was "access". Stellar content from internet basement dwellers has blown these guys out of the water and exposed their lack of talent.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Regarding gatekeepers, I'm grateful that we don't have to experience most of our basketball analysis through the lens of hacks like: Doug Smith, Steve Simmons and even that puck-head Damien Cox.

RR is living proof that they're only advantage those old sportswriters had was "access". Stellar content from internet basement dwellers has blown these guys out of the water and exposed their lack of talent.
                    I'm shocked a few of them even have jobs any longer. Jeff Blair is the worst of the current lot and needs to be retired.

Comment

I'm shocked a few of them even have jobs any longer. Jeff Blair is the worst of the current lot and needs to be retired.
                      I don't get him on Sportsnet radio. He doesn't have a good voice and his opinions are garbage. Jeff Blair is the reason I stopped listening to the Fan. I'd rather listen to a commercial than him frankly.

I've switched to TSN for sports radio now. It's a lot of hockey talk, but the main host on their prime hours seems intelligent and does like talking about non hockey stuff too. One of the other two is all hockey all the time, and the other guy is a complete knob. I think he's only on because he's friends with the first guy.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

The guys with locker room access always seem hampered by having to maintain the relationships - they can't write anything too critical or else they get called out at the next scrum or cut out entirely. But even so - guys like Smith clearly became way too buddy buddy with guys like DeRozan and Casey and could never write anything meaningful about either of them.

Long form, analytics, and guys like Zach Lowe saved NBA writing imho. There's some good stuff out there that actually gets into the basketball and isn't just game summary fluff pieces. And you're right, for a bunch of that you don't even need locker room access. But if you have it, give us some meaningful behind the scenes insight or backstory like a Jackie McCallum will occasionally write up.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Fewer every year. I am buddies with a sportswriter who has a bit of a profile but his stuff is mostly pointless, which is crazy cause if you have a beer with him he can tell you wildly entertaining stories for hours about teams, players, coaches, owners, media, etc. And a lot fo the stories are really positive about what guys do for kids, hospitals, etc. Sadly, if he trades on his access he loses it, so you get game stories no one cares about and columns that are basically team-approved. Also can't be lost that the teams and leagues exert a huge amount of control over the media.

One thing he talks about that is interesting is leaks. I know in Raptorland people complain that the local guys rarely break news before the national guys (Woj, Shams) but he basically says it is largely because the guys who get the leaks buy and sell information and do favors the way local guys cannot and, even when they get a scoop, hard to put it out without the team wanting you to because the team knows who talks to reporters and if you publish it you can get people in trouble and/or lose access.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Fewer every year. I am buddies with a sportswriter who has a bit of a profile but his stuff is mostly pointless, which is crazy cause if you have a beer with him he can tell you wildly entertaining stories for hours about teams, players, coaches, owners, media, etc. And a lot fo the stories are really positive about what guys do for kids, hospitals, etc. Sadly, if he trades on his access he loses it, so you get game stories no one cares about and columns that are basically team-approved. Also can't be lost that the teams and leagues exert a huge amount of control over the media.

One thing he talks about that is interesting is leaks. I know in Raptorland people complain that the local guys rarely break news before the national guys (Woj, Shams) but he basically says it is largely because the guys who get the leaks buy and sell information and do favors the way local guys cannot and, even when they get a scoop, hard to put it out without the team wanting you to because the team knows who talks to reporters and if you publish it you can get people in trouble and/or lose access.
                            doesnt help that lots of those guys who have access are employed by the media companys that owns MLSE
                            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Working...
                            X