Vince Carter's Retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    The way you're talking, you didn't sound like someone who thinks he should get in.
    Nope.
    Make no mistake I think Vince was a fine player at one point and his contributions to basketball in Canada and Toronto in particular shouldn't be over looked. I was a huge fan of his at one point and had lived through many years of terrible ball in Toronto before his glimmer of hope.

You don't value the scoring totals and you don't value longevity, which incidentally is a primary reason why some do not make the hall.
    It's not that I don't value scoring totals or longevity at all but rather scoring totals gained substantially through longevity carry less weight with me, as they should for all imo. Scoring titles matter for instance. Championships matter. AS selections matter, just less as it's so subjective and popularity driven.

I don't hate Vince as much as I like to ride him in this forum. I get all the back and forth and excuses and justifications etc but I still hate the way he quit, I think he lower case screwed the fanbase and his teammates over for years and think the adulation some still reserve for him is over the top based primarily on the fandom they had of him at the time ie "he's the reason I started following the Raps"

It's all good.
    Vince likely gets another standing O in TO, fans will get another chance to fawn over him and he'll give us a crocodilian tear and he'll be in the Hall sooner or later. Everyone will be happy .....

Comment

So shave off his last seven seasons(stop counting after his age 36 season) and he's still 37th in scoring all time. Name the guy in the top 40 scorers all-time, who is retired and not inducted into that hall?.............Trick question, there is none.

And you're not the only one who he impacted with that stuff. You're punishing yourself though, hanging onto the animosity.

Comment

Just looking at a somewhat close comparison in terms of contributions before the wheels fell off: Clyde Drexler. Cylde had to wait five years to get in. I'd guess Vince has to wait at the most two or three.

Comment

So shave off his last seven seasons(stop counting after his age 36 season) and he's still 37th in scoring all time. Name the guy in the top 40 scorers all-time, who is retired and not inducted into that hall?.............Trick question, there is none.

And you're not the only one who he impacted with that stuff. You're punishing yourself though, hanging onto the animosity.
          I don't feel punished at all; I live a truly charmed life and are truly comfortable with having an opinion that's mine.
          My opinion does seem to bother others at an irrationally disproportionate rate tho .... the Quitter-Carter phenomenon ....

Comment

HOFer.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
              HOFer.
              Not to be confused with "HOFfa", legendary Raptors big
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I guess I'm the only one who gave him 10 maybe I should've given him a 9. But my thinking was that 90% of players of his era would gladly have his career. He's HOF and he'll be remembered for years to come.
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

Not to be confused with "HOFfa", legendary Raptors big
                  He was taken ahead of Iggy because he was the best player available. Don't forget it.

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post

I don't feel punished at all; I live a truly charmed life and are truly comfortable with having an opinion that's mine.
                    My opinion does seem to bother others at an irrationally disproportionate rate tho .... the Quitter-Carter phenomenon ....
                    Life is too short to dwell on stuff like that. That's just me, sorry I shouldn't have said anything. You do whatever you want to do, don't mind me.

Comment

Life is too short to dwell on stuff like that. That's just me, sorry I shouldn't have said anything. You do whatever you want to do, don't mind me.

Comment

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Next stop: number 15 gets raised to the rafters in Toronto. This is a no brainer. Question is WHEN not if because this pandemic has changed everything.

I hope he signs a 1 day contract with the Raptors like when Halladay signed a 1 day contract with the Blue Jays when he retired.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

Also, Vince is easily a 1st ballot hall of famer. This is another no brainer. I mean, T-Mac was selected to the HOF in his first appearance on the ballot. They're the same type of players.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

Mamba Mentality

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post
                                Yeah, but there's a pretty big asterisk there. Only Vince got there by spending half his career (actually) as a journeyman bouncing around to lottery teams so he could still get his 10-15 mpg off the bench. His career per game numbers are all worse than those guys, who more or less played their entire careers as stars. And won championships. Usually as the best player on the team.

Vince's totals are a bit misleading imho, need a bit of context. He wanted to play a long time, stay healthy, and put up box score numbers. He did - congratulations.

Not to minimize too much. His peak was very good. It's just a weird career arc that's atypical once you start listing guys at that level.

Also he only had 4 playoff runs as an offensive focal point (20+ ppg) and he never got out of the second round. Actually only got to the 3rd round once in his career and never further than that. Again, the other guys you put him in conversation with when you pull his games/minutes/points totals have rings.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X