Vince Carter's Retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny wrote: View Post

So HOF or bust? should the Raptors retire T-Mac's number then? he's already in the HOF.
    When people think of T-Mac they think of Orlando Magic not Toronto Raptors.

You don't necessarily have to be a hall of famer to have your number retired. It helps( a lot) but it's not the only criteria. There has to be a standard of greatness. Just because the freakin Spurs retired Sean Elliott's number doesn't mean the Raptors should retire Norman Powell's number. I don't give a damn that the Spurs are a historic franchise.

The Blue Jays are pretty strict about retiring numbers. A lot of great players played for the Blue Jays but they only have 2 numbers up in the rafters. Alomar and Halladay. Two hall of famers btw. I think Joe Carter deserves to have his number retired as well. Not a hall of famer but he was a great player for the Blue Jays for a long time. And he was the author of the most iconic HR in baseball history.

When I think of Kawhi I think greatness and championship. When I think of Lowry I think of the most accomplished Raptor of all time. VC, the most electrifying player in franchise history, the guy that put TO on the map, changed the game of basketball in Canada.

DeRozan? I think of playoff failures. I think of his last game as a Raptor.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

When people think of T-Mac they think of Orlando Magic not Toronto Raptors.

You don't necessarily have to be a hall of famer to have your number retired. It helps( a lot) but it's not the only criteria. There has to be a standard of greatness. Just because the freakin Spurs retired Sean Elliott's number doesn't mean the Raptors should retire Norman Powell's number. I don't give a damn that the Spurs are a historic franchise.

The Blue Jays are pretty strict about retiring numbers. A lot of great players played for the Blue Jays but they only have 2 numbers up in the rafters. Alomar and Halladay. Two hall of famers btw. I think Joe Carter deserves to have his number retired as well. Not a hall of famer but he was a great player for the Blue Jays for a long time. And he was the author of the most iconic HR in baseball history.

When I think of Kawhi I think greatness and championship. When I think of Lowry I think of the most accomplished Raptor of all time. VC, the most electrifying player in franchise history, the guy that put TO on the map, changed the game of basketball in Canada.

DeRozan? I think of playoff failures. I think of his last game as a Raptor.
      That would be a good discussion. Who is the Blue Jays equivalent of Vince Carter? A bright light in team history, later traded to have a decent career but ultimately journeyman elsewhere? On the Wall of Excellence or whatever they call it but jersey never retired. That's what they should do for Vince.

I could make a pretty good argument for Dave Stieb or Jose Bautista. Jose might be the best comp since he was a superstar here for awhile and then didn't know when to pack it in, ultimately embarrassing himself

Can't be Joe Carter since he ultimately got the prize and accomplished something before moving on....
      1. Roberto Alomar. Number retired
      2. Roy Halladay. Number retired
      3. Carlos Delgado.
      4. Dave Stieb.
      5. Tony Fernandez.
      6. Jose Bautista.
      7. George Bell.
      8. Joe Carter.
      9. John Olerud
      10. Josh Donaldson one day?

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

That would be a good discussion. Who is the Blue Jays equivalent of Vince Carter? A bright light in team history, later traded to have a decent career but ultimately journeyman elsewhere? On the Wall of Excellence or whatever they call it but jersey never retired. That's what they should do for Vince.

I could make a pretty good argument for Dave Stieb or Jose Bautista. Jose might be the best comp since he was a superstar here for awhile and then didn't know when to pack it in, ultimately embarrassing himself

Can't be Joe Carter since he ultimately got the prize and accomplished something before moving on....
        1. Roberto Alomar. Number retired
        2. Roy Halladay. Number retired
        3. Carlos Delgado.
        4. Dave Stieb.
        5. Tony Fernandez.
        6. Jose Bautista.
        7. George Bell.
        8. Joe Carter.
        9. John Olerud
        10. Josh Donaldson one day?
        Good question.. Definitely not Donaldson. Donaldson won an MVP when he was in Toronto. Bautista's a good one. Bautista left because he wanted a long term extension but the management didn't want to give it to him because he was an old aging player. Looking back, Shatkins made the right decision.

Kawhi is Alomar, Lowry is Tony Fernandez, Vince is Bautista, DeRozan is RA Dickey.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• https://youtu.be/QXf2HbR5WtQ

Hadn't watched that before.

Biggest standout is still this: Vince peaked by year 3 with a second round exit and a dunk contest win. There should have been a lot more to his career, but a recap is still basically just that.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
            https://youtu.be/QXf2HbR5WtQ

Hadn't watched that before.

Biggest standout is still this: Vince peaked by year 3 with a second round exit and a dunk contest win. There should have been a lot more to his career, but a recap is still basically just that.
            His priorities were different from NBA Champions. That's for sure.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

His priorities were different from NBA Champions. That's for sure.
              I'd love to see a last dance documentary on vince's career lol

"here we all were trying to have an intense practice, before a big playoff game, and Vince is running around playing that 'made you look' game and punching us in the shoulder! Dude had more talent than the rest of us combined and he wanted to know where we were going for lunch"
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Good question.. Definitely not Donaldson. Donaldson won an MVP when he was in Toronto. Bautista's a good one. Bautista left because he wanted a long term extension but the management didn't want to give it to him because he was an old aging player. Looking back, Shatkins made the right decision.

Kawhi is Alomar, Lowry is Tony Fernandez, Vince is Bautista, DeRozan is RA Dickey.
                RA Dickey? lol. C'mon, bud. DeRozan holds a ton of Raptors franchise records, including: most points, FGs, FTs, games played, etc....

Comment

• DeRozan is Carlos Delgado. If you wanna be an ass, I'll allow Vernon wells.

Comment

DeRozan would be Olerud obviously.
                    Talented, a bit of a problem with his head, fan favourite that never won anything.....

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

DeRozan would be Olerud obviously.
                      Talented, a bit of a problem with his head, fan favourite that never won anything.....
                      What was wrong with oleruds head?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

RA Dickey? lol. C'mon, bud. DeRozan holds a ton of Raptors franchise records, including: most points, FGs, FTs, games played, etc....
                        Saying he's RA Dickey is actually a compliment. Dickey's a GREAT regular season pitcher. Won the CY Young award for the Mets the year before he got traded to the Jays. He was a great reg season pitcher for the Jays too, ate a lot of innings. Dickey averaged 200+ innings in his first 3 years with the Jays.

Now, playoff RA Dickey is a completely different story.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          DeRozan is Carlos Delgado. If you wanna be an ass, I'll allow Vernon wells.
                          Nah, Delgado's an all time great player. 473 career homeruns, .280 career batting average. He really should be in the HOF. Lack of playoff appearances hurts him I guess. Not really his fault though that his Blue Jays team were garbage. But still....look at his stats.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

Nah, Delgado's an all time great player. 473 career homeruns, .280 career batting average. He really should be in the HOF. Lack of playoff appearances hurts him I guess. Not really his fault though that his Blue Jays team were garbage. But still....look at his stats.
                            All offense, no defense, started his career and spent his prime with Toronto, 2x all star, left before they got really good..

I much prefer the comparison to an old man knucklballer who spent 3 years here at the tail end

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

All offense, no defense, started his career and spent his prime with Toronto, 2x all star, left before they got really good..

I much prefer the comparison to an old man knucklballer who spent 3 years here at the tail end
                              But his offense was elite. Delgado is probably the most underrated slugger of all time. Delgado's numbers are as good as most of the greatest sluggers in baseball history. Thome, Walker, Sheffield, Winfield etc...his numbers are just as good as those guys. His numbers are actually way better than Edgar Martinez who's in the HOF. His numbers are also better than Larry Walker who just got inducted this year. I don't remember Walker's Rockies ever making the playoffs. But somehow he's in and Delgado is not.

David Ortiz is going to be a first ballot HOF'er, primarily a guy who played DH. His numbers are very similar to Delgado.

I don't think you can compare DeRozan's numbers to the greatest NBA scorers that ever played the game lol.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• DeMar is Fred McGriff. Great player but never won anything and was traded for guys like Alomar and Carter that won it all.

Kawhi is more like Molitor/Henderson. Came in for a year and helped win it all. Molitor played two years though, but same difference. Plus both are hall of famers.

Vince is a tough one but going with George Bell. Didn't win anything but was always a highlight reel guy from what I remember.

Kyle to me is the most like Robbie Alomar. Just a consistently great player.

Comment

Working...
                                X