Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

What was wrong with oleruds head?
    "Prior to his junior season in 1989, Olerud was running indoors on campus on January 11 when he collapsed; hospitalized in Pullman, he was airlifted to Spokane later in the day, accompanied by his father. He was diagnosed with a subarachnoid hemorrhage, which caused bleeding into the spinal column."

It's the reason Olerud always wore a batting helmet while playing 1B

Comment

• apologies for interjecting myself into this conversation as i know almost fuck all about baseball and don't care to, but isn't it kind of ridiculous to validate or invalidate baseball players' legacies in terms of winning? didn't mike trout win an mvp last year on a terrible team? like not only won but was a near consensus winner ? isn't their hall of fame chock-full players that didn't win shit? i always thought it was the most individual team sport

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
        apologies for interjecting myself into this conversation as i know almost fuck all about baseball and don't care to, but isn't it kind of ridiculous to validate or invalidate baseball players' legacies in terms of winning? didn't mike trout win an mvp last year on a terrible team? like not only won but was a near consensus winner on a terrible team? isn't their hall of fame chock-full players that didn't win shit? i always thought it was the most individual team sport
        Easiest sport to say "lack of team success is not that guy's fault" for sure.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

apologies for interjecting myself into this conversation as i know almost fuck all about baseball and don't care to, but isn't it kind of ridiculous to validate or invalidate baseball players' legacies in terms of winning? didn't mike trout win an mvp last year on a terrible team? like not only won but was a near consensus winner ? isn't their hall of fame chock-full players that didn't win shit? i always thought it was the most individual team sport
          It is the most individual team sport which is exactly why good players or horrible teams still have a shot at the HoF
          At the essence, all HoF's are marketing machines for their respective sports and money makers. It's why you get weak azz but popular players in the hall in every sport. You also get inductees who would never get in a stronger year and thye never have zero no matter how weak the class. The NHL bar is FAR too low but I think the NBA is pretty decent comparably.

Comment

apologies for interjecting myself into this conversation as i know almost fuck all about baseball and don't care to, but isn't it kind of ridiculous to validate or invalidate baseball players' legacies in terms of winning? didn't mike trout win an mvp last year on a terrible team? like not only won but was a near consensus winner ? isn't their hall of fame chock-full players that didn't win shit? i always thought it was the most individual team sport
            Hes quite literally one of the greatest players of all time (in a league that's over 150 years old) and hes still "only" worth about 9 or 10 extra wins a year. So last year they were 72-90, they would have flirted with 100 losses without him (very bad).

if they could get their shit together and build a .500 roster around him, it would be enough to get 90+ wins and into the playoffs
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

It is the most individual team sport which is exactly why good players or horrible teams still have a shot at the HoF
              At the essence, all HoF's are marketing machines for their respective sports and money makers. It's why you get weak azz but popular players in the hall in every sport. You also get inductees who would never get in a stronger year and thye never have zero no matter how weak the class. The NHL bar is FAR too low but I think the NBA is pretty decent comparably.
              that's a cynical view! not sure i agree with it, except for the rock and roll hall of fame.

Comment

• I've got a lot of questions with baseball and hall of fame. Like, why is Delgado not in the HOF but Edgar Martinez is? both guys never won anything. Delgado's numbers are superior(compare their stats), he was also an everyday 1B, Martinez on the other hand primarily played as a DH.

The steroid guys - Why are guys like Bonds, Sosa, McGwire etc not in the HOF? first, there were no rules back then you can't take steroids. Second, those guys STILL have to hit the ball!! if Brandon Drury starts using steroids, do u think he'll hit 73 homeruns next year? lol I don't think so. Barry Bonds is the greatest baseball player of all time but somehow he's not in the HOF. Think about that.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Hes quite literally one of the greatest players of all time (in a league that's over 150 years old) and hes still "only" worth about 9 or 10 extra wins a year. So last year they were 72-90, they would have flirted with 100 losses without him (very bad).

if they could get their shit together and build a .500 roster around him, it would be enough to get 90+ wins and into the playoffs
                  right, but if his team never gets his shit together he'll still make the hall of fame and be remembered as one of the greatest ever, and not some good stats on a bad team schmuck like he would if he were a basketball player.

yes i'm aware mitch richmond is in the hall of fame

Comment

• Like, alot of people here thinks LeBron is on steroids. Ok fine. So if Rudy Gay starts using steroids do u think he'll be as good as LeBron? hell no. That's what I'm saying about Bonds. It's crazy that he's not in the HOF.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                      I've got a lot of questions with baseball and hall of fame. Like, why is Delgado not in the HOF but Edgar Martinez is? both guys never won anything. Delgado's numbers are superior(compare their stats), he was also an everyday 1B, Martinez on the other hand primarily played as a DH.

The steroid guys - Why are guys like Bonds, Sosa, McGwire etc not in the HOF? first, there were no rules back then you can't take steroids. Second, those guys STILL have to hit the ball!! if Brandon Drury starts using steroids, do u think he'll hit 73 homeruns next year? lol I don't think so. Barry Bonds is the greatest baseball player of all time but somehow he's not in the HOF. Think about that.
                      he never won shit! lol

Comment

he never won shit! lol
                        Ted Williams never won anything and he's top 3, top 5 on most people's GOAT rankings.

Ken Griffey Jr. never won anything, Derek Jeter on the other hand won 5 World Series. Are you telling me Jeter > Griffey? if not for all the injuries, we'd probably be talking about Griffey as the GOAT.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

Ted Williams never won anything and he's top 3, top 5 on most people's GOAT rankings.

Ken Griffey Jr. never won anything, Derek Jeter on the other hand won 5 World Series. Are you telling me Jeter > Griffey? if not for all the injuries, we'd probably be talking about Griffey as the GOAT.
                          i know, i was joking. the reason i entered this conversation was to point out that it was kind of silly to compare any baseball player to basketball players on the basis of their team success, since it's such an individual sport.

Comment

I've got a lot of questions with baseball and hall of fame. Like, why is Delgado not in the HOF but Edgar Martinez is? both guys never won anything. Delgado's numbers are superior(compare their stats), he was also an everyday 1B, Martinez on the other hand primarily played as a DH.

Theres probably a dozen steroid era guys that should/would be in without steroids

how bout Pete rose? All time hits leader, lifetime ban and no hall of fame for gambling...on your own team...as a retired manager
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Like, alot of people here thinks LeBron is on steroids. Ok fine. So if Rudy Gay starts using steroids do u think he'll be as good as LeBron? hell no. That's what I'm saying about Bonds. It's crazy that he's not in the HOF.
                              The question is not whether he'd be as good as Barry Bonds. It's whether he'd be better than non-roiding Rudy gay ....
                              People like to point out that Bonds was on a HOF trajectory prior to roiding, so answer this; why did he start roiding? He was looking for an unfair advantage and he knew it was cheating, they all did, Sosa went beyond corking bats, Clemons, Giambi, Canseco, Giambi, Sheffield, Palmeiro, ARoid, keep 'em all out

There may not have been explicit rules against so why did McGwire hide it in his locker, why did Roger Clemons take it in the azz in the bathroom stall, how did Bonds head get so freakin' large lol

"Oh but they have murderers in the Hall"

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

The question is not whether he'd be as good as Barry Bonds. It's whether he'd be better than non-roiding Rudy gay ....
                                People like to point out that Bonds was on a HOF trajectory prior to roiding, so answer this; why did he start roiding? He was looking for an unfair advantage and he knew it was cheating, they all did, Sosa went beyond corking bats, Clemons, Giambi, Canseco, Giambi, Sheffield, Palmeiro, ARoid, keep 'em all out

There may not have been explicit rules against so why did McGwire hide it in his locker, why did Roger Clemons take it in the azz in the bathroom stall, how did Bonds head get so freakin' large lol

"Oh but they have murderers in the Hall"
                                Ok another question. How do we know that guys like Griffey and Thome and Frank Thomas didn't use steroids. They played in that era right? and they put up similar numbers to guys like Bonds and Sosa etc.

All 3 guys that I mentioned are in the HOF.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X