Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

I'd love to see a last dance documentary on vince's career lol

"here we all were trying to have an intense practice, before a big playoff game, and Vince is running around playing that 'made you look' game and punching us in the shoulder! Dude had more talent than the rest of us combined and he wanted to know where we were going for lunch"
    Last time Vince showed fire was when Smitch called him out for dogging it. He proved him wrong by slamming him to the ground. He then went back to sleep and when he woke up it was 2020 and time to go home.

Comment

• Who's had the bigger impact in Toronto? DeRozan or Vince?

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Ok another question. How do we know that guys like Griffey and Thome and Frank Thomas didn't use steroids. They played in that era right? and they put up similar numbers to guys like Bonds and Sosa etc.

All 3 guys that I mentioned are in the HOF.
        So you're saying you don't believe guys could put up numbers without being on steroids? Good! All the more reasons to keep known roiders like Bonds and McGwire and Sosa OUT! But your question is a good one, we don't know for sure which guys were roiding, which weren't and which ones were using other PED's.

To the best of my knowledge, none of Griffey, Thome or Thomas were ever even linked to players on a roiders list. In fact, Thomas was outspoken for most of his career against the cheaters. He hit 521 career homers and is one of only nine players ever to hit 500 home runs while maintaining a .300 batting average. That's crazy for a power hitter.

You can't leave tghe entire steroid era out of the Hall. But that doesn't mean you have to let them all in either. Look at the numbers across baseball when they started wide based and off season and random testing. Power numbers dropped by a ton and immediately.
        I love that t it eats guys like Rogers Clemons up, not being in .... and I want 50 HR to mean something, never mind their own bloody health issues.

Comment

• Sonny wrote: View Post
          Who's had the bigger impact in Toronto? DeRozan or Vince?
          Vince brought excitement to a young franchise trying to find themselves. Didn't win a thing.
          DeRozan was part of consistent winning that brought a feeling we were on the cusp. Didn't win much.

Apples and oranges.

Here's hoping Pascal and player X (still to come, his initial are alphabet) bring more than either of them.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

Last time Vince showed fire was when Smitch called him out for dogging it. He proved him wrong by slamming him to the ground. He then went back to sleep and when he woke up it was 2020 and time to go home.

So it turns out vince was bizarro Forrest Gump. Went everywhere, saw everything, but unlike Forrest, accomplished nothing.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Who's had the bigger impact in Toronto? DeRozan or Vince?
              to winning-Demar
              to culture-Vince
              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

to winning-Demar
                to culture-Vince
                Winning is probably not the right word I would use with DeMar. Lowry was our main win producer. I'm not sure I'd use Culture with Vince either.

With DeMar it was loyalty. Raptor fans have seen time and time again where guys left. Vince was the peak of that angst. DeMar was anti Vince. He loved it here and wanted to stay. The problem was with DeMar he just had too many flaws. The game changed. It's more layups and 3's. With a lot of elite defense. DeMar is the antithesis to modern analytical basketball. So he had an impact, but it was more to calm the fragile psyche of most fans who wanted some non-Canadian care about the team as much as they did.

With Vince it was just electrifying. The NBA wanted to promote him, and through that the Toronto Raptors. Just like Zion is being promoted heavily despite playing in New Orleans of all places. The NBA loves to promote the shit out of their up and coming talent... especially when they are fun to watch. So again it comes back to the NBA and the US watching our beloved team in a different country and paying attention because of this one guy. Yet it didn't last long, and he ran out of town kicking and screaming as fast as he could (while in the middle of a contract). The opposite of loyalty there. But he did bring in eyeballs and got people to talk about our team for once which felt special.

Comment

to winning-Demar
                  to culture-Vince
                  I'm going to exclude Kawhi in this because it's not fair to the other guys.

To winning - Kyle and Vince
                  To culture - Kyle and Vince

DeRozan was already in his 4th year before Lowry got traded to the Raps. The Raps in DD's first 4 years were a perennial lottery team. So what winning? they started winning when they got Lowry!

As for Vince, the Raptors first ever playoff appearance, who was the main guy there? Vince. Raps first ever series win, who was the main guy there? Vince.

Vince in 2001 led a team to Game 7 of the Eastern Conf. Semis. The 2nd best player on that team? Antonio Davis. What if Vince had the same supporting cast that Kawhi had last year? what if prime Vince was on that 2018 Raptors team? no way he'd allow a bad Cavs team to sweep them and no way in hell Vince would get benched and be a complete NON FACTOR in an elimination game. The Raps would've easily beat that Cavs team if they had Vince Carter. That 2018 Cavs team was bad. If you remember, the Raptors were the favourite in that series.

Look at the Spurs this year with DeRozan as "the guy". And he has Greg Popovich as his coach.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

to winning-Demar
                    to culture-Vince
                    DeMar = Culture.

When people think of one of the key pillars of Raptors' culture.... you think about off-season player development and work ethic. That example was set first by DeMar. And it's being carried proudly by Fred and Pascal. Even better was DeMar introducing the Raptors to the California scene (Drew League, Rico Hines, etc...), which is the best pro basketball off-season training circuit going.

Training like a maniac during the summer has become ingrained as a core staple of the Raptors culture & identity to the point where Raptor newbies (Dewan, T.Davis, Stanley J, Matt Thomas, McCaw, etc...) are almost expected to show up and work out as a team at Rico Hines.

Player development is a huge piece of the Raptors culture and a sustainable legacy that was left by DeMar.

Comment

• Amin Elhassan on ESPN just called DeMar DeRozan the greatest Raptor of all time. I agree with him.

Comment

Amin Elhassan on ESPN just called DeMar DeRozan the greatest Raptor of all time. I agree with him.
                        Are you Chr1st1an?

Comment

• I think people mistook my label of culture as the team culture. I meant he had a bigger impact on the NBA and introducing the U.S to the Raptors brand when I stayed culture not so much the day to day culture of the organization.
                          And demar did more of an impact on winning. Better record, more series wins etc. Lowry was the man but people seem to forget he was fine with playing his contract out and leaving. Demar pulled him and ross Amir and said we gotta win or were all gone.
                          that teams after the gay trade was just a mismatch match of weird fitting pieces. Demar wasnt getting a max contract at that time and I dont think Lowry buys in without demar. So yes demar had a bigger impact on winning IMO

Comment

• Demar record in T.O-382-340, 5 playoff berths, 4 series wins
                            Vince 214-246, 3 Playoff berths, 1 series win

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

I'm going to exclude Kawhi in this because it's not fair to the other guys.

To winning - Kyle and Vince
                              To culture - Kyle and Vince

DeRozan was already in his 4th year before Lowry got traded to the Raps. The Raps in DD's first 4 years were a perennial lottery team. So what winning? they started winning when they got Lowry!

As for Vince, the Raptors first ever playoff appearance, who was the main guy there? Vince. Raps first ever series win, who was the main guy there? Vince.

Vince in 2001 led a team to Game 7 of the Eastern Conf. Semis. The 2nd best player on that team? Antonio Davis. What if Vince had the same supporting cast that Kawhi had last year? what if prime Vince was on that 2018 Raptors team? no way he'd allow a bad Cavs team to sweep them and no way in hell Vince would get benched and be a complete NON FACTOR in an elimination game. The Raps would've easily beat that Cavs team if they had Vince Carter. That 2018 Cavs team was bad. If you remember, the Raptors were the favourite in that series.

Look at the Spurs this year with DeRozan as "the guy". And he has Greg Popovich as his coach.
                              You can't use Quiter-carter and culture in the same sentence. Just substitute popularity, maybe even relevance .... the only culture he left under was toxic ....

Comment

Demar record in T.O-382-340, 5 playoff berths, 4 series wins
                                Vince 214-246, 3 Playoff berths, 1 series win
                                This is how you make DeRozan look good.

Let's look at the Raptors record before Kyle Lowry, shall we? I'm not going to include DeRozan's rookie year because that was Chris Bosh's team.

"We got us" right?

2010-2011 - 22-60
                                2011-2012 - 23-43
                                2012-2013 - 34-48

79-151

2013-2014 was Kyle Lowry's first full year with the Raptors as a starting PG. The Raptors that year finished 48-34, they made the playoffs, played Brooklyn in the 1st round and the rest is history.

You can't compare DeRozan to Vince. DeRozan was Robin to Kyle Lowry's Batman. Vince was Batman since his first game in TO.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X