GAME #1 : Toronto Raptors 94 - Houston Rockets 83

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    I'm off cable, so waiting and hoping to hear about NBA League Pass support for the season finish, but haven't seen anything. Has anyone else?
    Ya i was wondering how the raptors were going to air this. TSN/Sportnet have the streaming rights but are Devlin and co going to be calling remotely or would they just air the U.S broadcast on TSN?
    Most of the game are going to be on National T.V in the states so we will probably get blacked out anyways. Probably only like 1 game a day will be available on L.P
    To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

If you are into these things your can subscribe directly to to TSn direct and sportsnet for $20/month each and can cancel anytime. Depending on the schedule if they are showing back to back games all day that’s a reasonable price

Comment

Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
        If you are into these things your can subscribe directly to to TSn direct and sportsnet for $20/month each and can cancel anytime. Depending on the schedule if they are showing back to back games all day that’s a reasonable price
        Yeah it just sucks they don’t have PVR viewing or replay. Or at least last time I tried them they didn’t.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I've been looking for an alternative to cable as well. I've had it for years, but all I really watch on traditional cable is sports (everything else, including news, you can get on Netflix and Amazon Prime these days), so it seems a bit of a waste.

The problem is all the alternatives kinda suck. On League Pass you can never watch live because of game blackouts (gotta wait 3hrs after the game is over sometimes), and TSN/SN online subscription is the opposite: You have to watch live because they have no PVR/replay, not to mention the iterface is clanky/buggy. So basically if someone wants the flexibility to watch either live or later on, you either need cable, or BOTH SN/TSN direct AND league pass, which also feels like a waste.

What would be really nice is if there was a stable service streaming in 4k, live, and storing the games for a day or two for people wanting to catch it later (either directly from the NBA or a TV channel), with different subscription tiers (like, single team, all games, playoffs etc..). I think it'd be a big hit. As it is though, no wonder so many people go look for pirate streams.

Comment

bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Ya i was wondering how the raptors were going to air this. TSN/Sportnet have the streaming rights but are Devlin and co going to be calling remotely or would they just air the U.S broadcast on TSN?
            Most of the game are going to be on National T.V in the states so we will probably get blacked out anyways. Probably only like 1 game a day will be available on L.P
            Both SN and TSN are starved for content. I think they both jump on the NBA and NHL games and MLB games in a hurry. Anything live is gold.
            But it would be just so Rogers (SN) to show Blue Jays rewinds from 5 years ago across all the regional networks and put the Raps on SN1.

For the Raps 3 game warm up I think TSN and SN just use the pool feed from the NBA. I think the teams then will bring in their home TV crews to do the 8 games to fulfill tv contracts that are outstanding and need to be met. The crews could be in studio in Trawna and call the game from the feeds. For the playoffs if the bubble survives that long (can’t believe that yokel Holmes ordered take out and left the quarantine area to pick it up and am even more surprised to read Holmes instead of Embiid) don’t see the Raps crew of Devlin, Jack, Rod and Leo doing it remotely when the NBA will have ESPNs crews available live in the Disney/ESPN complex.
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sat Jul 18, 2020, 12:16 AM.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
              I'm off cable, so waiting and hoping to hear about NBA League Pass support for the season finish, but haven't seen anything. Has anyone else?
              Yeah, glaring absence of League Pass info on all the schedule + broadcasting info released to date. NBA is really dropping the ball by not focusing on streaming.

I'm guessing it'll be a go with the usual blackout restrictions, I saw in the app it does show a countdown for the games, like "League Pass, 4 Days" in the spot where you usually have the video feed. Also saw on Reddit that a monthly subscriber hadn't been getting billed during cancelled months but just got billed for July. Sounds promising.

We'll keep getting "ratings are dropping" stories until the league figures out streaming. Next generations of fans will take free streams over blackouts or cable add ons any day of the week.
              Last edited by S.R.; Sat Jul 18, 2020, 02:59 PM.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post

Yeah, glaring absence of League Pass info on all the schedule + broadcasting info released to date. NBA is really dropping the ball by not focusing on streaming.

I'm guessing it'll be a go with the usual blackout restrictions, I saw in the app it does show a countdown for the games, like "League Pass, 4 Days" in the spot where you usually have the video feed. Also saw on Reddit that a monthly subscriber hadn't been getting billed during cancelled months but just got billed for July. Sounds promising.

We'll keep getting "ratings are dropping" stories until the league figures out streaming. Next generations of fans will take free streams over blackouts or cable add ons any day of the week.
                The NBA can’t focus on streaming this season. The whole point of even doing a restart is to salvage some guaranteed cash from the existing network TV deals... local and national. League pass is competing with your customers to some degree.

Even then, there still isn’t a great solution to limit piracy and capture maximum Ad revenue once the stream is digitized and available on the internet.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

The NBA can’t focus on streaming this season. The whole point of even doing a restart is to salvage some guaranteed cash from the existing network TV deals... local and national. League pass is competing with your customers to some degree.

Even then, there still isn’t a great solution to limit piracy and capture maximum Ad revenue once the stream is digitized and available on the internet.
                  i might be wrong but i don't believe the ratings matter? my understanding was always that the reg season games are to reach contractual agreements between individual teams and their RSN's, where the contracts are fully guaranteed after 70 games. so as long as they get to 70 games, the teams get paid, which increases BRI for the whole league.

squeezing more money out of streaming services would further increase league revenue so i would imagine they'll be pushing it.

Comment

Regarding whether exhibition scrimmages will be televised:

Exhibitions start with a four-game slate Wednesday and continue through July 28. Each team will play three exhibitions, and the last two for each club will have the traditional 12-minute quarters. Plans call for all 33 exhibitions to be televised by some combination of local TV, national TV, NBA TV or NBA League Pass.
                    Also 10 min quarters rather than 12

Comment

Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

We’re four days away from seeing our boys back on the court. Wow
                        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

Comment

Nuggets are rolling out a starting lineup of Jokic/Grant/Millsap/Bol/Plumlee lmao are their guards all still quarantining?
                                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Working...
                                X