No announcement yet.

Best/Worst Trade in Raptors History?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Lowry trade + the Gay trade were the two best trades in Raptors history. Someone should write a book about the Raptors championship, I'd title it "The Road to Larry OB" because if you really think about it, this all started after the Rudy Gay trade.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

The Kawhi trade is really untouchable, especially when you consider the initial reactions:

"He's not even gonna report. Fire Masai!"

One of the ballsiest trades in the history of pro sports.
      Something I think about now and again:
      If the Kawhi trade went down and we subsequently won 55-60 games but flamed out in game 7 of the ECF and Kawhi bolts for LA .... is it the best Raptors trade of all time and is Masai still a demi-god .... or is it all 20/20 hindsight?

Would we have followed with the same swagger to duplicate this season's 3rd overall results?

We'd still have exactly the same team we have now but I'd bet a loss less optimism heading into these playoffs.

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post

If the Kawhi trade went down and we subsequently won 55-60 games but flamed out in game 7 of the ECF and Kawhi bolts for LA .... is it the best Raptors trade of all time and is Masai still a demi-god .... or is it all 20/20 hindsight?

Would we have followed with the same swagger to duplicate this season's 3rd overall results?

We'd still have exactly the same team we have now but I'd bet a loss less optimism heading into these playoffs.
        Of course its majority hindsight. We could also sit and say "if Jordan only won 4 or 5 of those finals is he undisputed goat?"

results are the only thing that matters. Theres no awards for effort. The results are in and history was written. Masai gambled and won so hes the man. that's the entire point of a gamble, theres a risk to it of you looking bad, and when it works theres a reward.
        Last edited by KeonClark; Wed Jul 15, 2020, 02:45 PM.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

The Kawhi trade is really untouchable, especially when you consider the initial reactions:

"He's not even gonna report. Fire Masai!"

One of the ballsiest trades in the history of pro sports.
          There were also questions about his health and his attitude. The Raps really only got him cause other teams like Philly and Boston wouldn't trade the requisite pieces to get him.

The two most important trades in franchise history both brought in players (Leonard and Lowry) with big question marks and yet those players were the biggest reasons for winning a title and both rejuvenated/rebuilt their careers and reputations here.

Comment

Yeah I would say one of the topics to discuss where it is perfectly fair to apply the advantage of hindsight is in judging best/worst trades, because really all that matters is the outcome of those trades for that judgment.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
              Yeah I would say one of the topics to discuss where it is perfectly fair to apply the advantage of hindsight is in judging best/worst trades, because really all that matters is the outcome of those trades for that judgment.
              And with that said, even if we lost to Philly and Kawhi bolt Masai is still the top manager in the league
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post

it wouldn't be the best but i'd still view it as a net positive. this team as currently constructed is a lot better than if you added derozan back into the mix. would the players that have taken his minutes (fred, norm, OG, TD and especially mccaw) have progressed as much as they have with DD playing his 30-35 minutes? our defence would also fall way off as i'm not confident he'd grasp nurse's rotations.

Comment

I'd put the trade for Olajuwan up there too, traded a 1st and 2nd rounder for a completely done big man in a move that was the finishing touch on cementing a mediocre Raptors roster that would help drive Vince out of town. If Toronto had kept some assets and flexibility or just identified better talent to surround Vince with, everything could have been a lot different. They painted themselves into a corner and lost their superstar.

Imagine a team trading 1st and 2nd rounders for a completely done 7 footer now? That trade never happens in 2020. GMs used to hand out picks like candy on Halloween.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Trading Vazquez for the picks that became Powell and OG continues to look better and better
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                      I'd put the trade for Olajuwan up there too, traded a 1st and 2nd rounder for a completely done big man in a move that was the finishing touch on cementing a mediocre Raptors roster that would help drive Vince out of town. If Toronto had kept some assets and flexibility or just identified better talent to surround Vince with, everything could have been a lot different. They painted themselves into a corner and lost their superstar.

Imagine a team trading 1st and 2nd rounders for a completely done 7 footer now? That trade never happens in 2020. GMs used to hand out picks like candy on Halloween.
                      Yeah that was bad.. not so much about the picks.. that first pick became Nachbar (2002 first) and was really an underwhelming draft. I guess Tayshaun Prince was still around but went 23rd (Houston via Toronto had the 15th pick). It was just bringing in a way past his prime guy that was just not going to help the team at all.. but make it worse because he'll need his minutes.

Now a days, there is no a way a potential pick like that would be traded for a past his prime vet, even if he was an all time great. Would be like trading a couple of picks for Dirk before the year he retired. Just really bad management.

Although as a kid I loved that trade. I thought man, we got Hakeem.. we're going to win a ring! I was pretty stupid back then.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

Yep

I haven't seen anyone mention the trade that instantly started the we the north era, gay for the 4 kings

edit: planetmars beat me to it by 2 minutes
                        I mention it in my OP!! Lol

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post
                          The Lowry trade + the Gay trade were the two best trades in Raptors history. Someone should write a book about the Raptors championship, I'd title it "The Road to Larry OB" because if you really think about it, this all started after the Rudy Gay trade.
                          And this is exactly why I said I was the most important trade in Raptors history. Totally agree.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                            Was the Vince Carter trade the worst? It must be. A couple of guys named Williams and a no-show. I'm terrible at remembering these kinds of details. trading for Hakeem may have been the most disappointing. Acquiring Lowry needs to be #1 best trade, outside of Kawhi. Maybe Gasol comes in #2 best..
                            BUT that no-show was technically only a few years removed from being the DPOY in consecutive years. I mean, imagine we didn't trade for Kawhi because of whispers he wouldn't show? So it's hard for me to hate this trade in hindsight, knowing we got 2 picks, serviceable role players, and a former DPOY.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Two really bad trades other than the VC one were the O'Neal for Marion trade and the Memphis Gay trade.
                              The Gay era was so ugly. It did give us some high level comedy though. Remember the banning of the stat sheets from the locker room. And it was really the beginning of the end for Bryan's tenure here. So sort of worked itself out.
                              So it's funny you say this, because this is exactly the position my buddy was taking, which led me say that trading Rudy to the Kings was the important trade we ever made, and without having Rudy in hand, we don't make that trade that changes our entire structural foundation. So it's hard to say trading for Rudy was really that terrible. Lol

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Yeah that was bad.. not so much about the picks.. that first pick became Nachbar (2002 first) and was really an underwhelming draft. I guess Tayshaun Prince was still around but went 23rd (Houston via Toronto had the 15th pick). It was just bringing in a way past his prime guy that was just not going to help the team at all.. but make it worse because he'll need his minutes.

Now a days, there is no a way a potential pick like that would be traded for a past his prime vet, even if he was an all time great. Would be like trading a couple of picks for Dirk before the year he retired. Just really bad management.

Although as a kid I loved that trade. I thought man, we got Hakeem.. we're going to win a ring! I was pretty stupid back then.
                                I mean, that's basically what the nets did x1000 to get Garnett and Pierce. Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X