• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man Barkley ripped them all up.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000485255757
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

Good for Barkley.
      Online mob 'justice' is still wrong. I've seen a lot of Twitter threads where one person will be calling for some patience or context or understanding before rushing to judgment, and the response will always be a "No, fuck you. They deserve it!" Then the goal is to destroy someone's life as much as possible based on a single tweet or IG story or 15 second video.

It's a huge step backward. Mob mentality is behind some of our worst moments as humans. Seriously.

There's also a whole outrage culture machine in social media. I don't get it, why people want to wake up and be pissed off all day long.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
        Mob mentality is behind some of our worst moments as humans. Seriously.
        Agent Kay always said it best in my opinion:

Comment

So lots of opinions (both for and against) the Jays being told that they can't play games this season in Toronto by the Trudeau Federali's.

Is this a big deal or a nothing burger ?
          You can likely make a case for both sides. Anyone want to go first ?
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
            So lots of opinions (both for and against) the Jays being told that they can't play games this season in Toronto by the Trudeau Federali's.

I'm absolutely fine with zero non-essential traffic from the US or anywhere else entering Canada for now .... at least until we get everyone back to work and kids to school without us all dying....

Comment

I'm not into baseball but from what I read, MLB isn't doing a bubble. So therefore I think it's a good decision to keep players from travelling in and out of the States. I think that just reduces any potential chance of an outbreak.

It's also good not to create a precedent that it's okay to travel into the States and back into Canada when you are not an essential worker. And there is no way an MLB player/coach/trainer/etc is an essential worker.

Comment

On principle, while I have no real concerns about the border being open, if I can't fly to Arizona from Calgary then MLB players shouldn't be able to fly to Toronto from Arizona (or wherever).

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

On principle, while I have no real concerns about the border being open, if I can't fly to Arizona from Calgary then MLB players shouldn't be able to fly to Toronto from Arizona (or wherever).
                  The Jays should have to play somewhere in the US. I agree with you, why bend the rules and take additional risks for them? So many businesses had to sacrifice but not the Blue Jays because... Reasons?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post

The Jays should have to play somewhere in the US. I agree with you, why bend the rules and take additional risks for them? So many businesses had to sacrifice but not the Blue Jays because... Reasons?
                    One set of rules for the politically connected and another set for everyone else.

Comment

OK... for balance then...A contrarian view.

Pretty much every team charters. With Billy Bishop a 5 to 7 minute bus ride from the airport to the Skydome and its bubble hotel complex the logistics of keeping it short and contained are there.

Plane lands... you clear customs and are tested before boarding the bus. Do not pass go.. do not collect 200 dollars .. you go straight to the hotel in the underground parking where you are herded like sheep into the elevators and into the hotel. Tests seem to be able to be turned around in pretty short order (hours vs days) these days and since MLB is paying for it you can bet it will be quick. If your clean you stay and play. MLB protocols likely are to test everyone daily so its BAU on that front. If your dirty your quarantined here for 14 days at the expense of MLB in the same hotel on a different floor. Once the player is cleared back he goes to his home city.

The hard hit hospitality industry also gets a shot in the arm as folks start to again gather in the sports bars or other venues to have a beer and something to eat with like minded baseball fans. We spend some money sorely needed right now by that industry. Bars in turn bring back staff who have been out of work to meet increased demand. I get that same thing could happen if they play in Pittsburgh on TV as well but there is nothing like the local team... at home.. up front and centre and in the sports newcycle every day to generate real buzz in the community that would be hard to replicate for the Pennsylvania Jays. They are a young team on the rise and if they are in it... they generate even more buzz and more excitement AND even more visits to the local hospitality establishments to keep them going.

The Great Depression in the 30's also ushered in Prohibition. Its one thing to be dead ass broke but it was sheer genius for the government of the day to not let people have a drink whilst in the midst of total misery. Prohibition died a righteous death. The segue here is that with Covid squeezing the country in much the same fashion as the 30's depression era and we are in misery again Sports takes the place of alcohol.

Play Ball !!.
                      - TGO

Comment

OK... for balance then...A contrarian view.

Pretty much every team charters. With Billy Bishop a 5 to 7 minute bus ride from the airport to the Skydome and its bubble hotel complex the logistics of keeping it short and contained are there.

Plane lands... you clear customs and are tested before boarding the bus. Do not pass go.. do not collect 200 dollars .. you go straight to the hotel in the underground parking where you are herded like sheep into the elevators and into the hotel. Tests seem to be able to be turned around in pretty short order (hours vs days) these days and since MLB is paying for it you can bet it will be quick. If your clean you stay and play. MLB protocols likely are to test everyone daily so its BAU on that front. If your dirty your quarantined here for 14 days at the expense of MLB in the same hotel on a different floor. Once the player is cleared back he goes to his home city.

The hard hit hospitality industry also gets a shot in the arm as folks start to again gather in the sports bars or other venues to have a beer and something to eat with like minded baseball fans. We spend some money sorely needed right now by that industry. Bars in turn bring back staff who have been out of work to meet increased demand. I get that same thing could happen if they play in Pittsburgh on TV as well but there is nothing like the local team... at home.. up front and centre and in the sports newcycle every day to generate real buzz in the community that would be hard to replicate for the Pennsylvania Jays. They are a young team on the rise and if they are in it... they generate even more buzz and more excitement AND even more visits to the local hospitality establishments to keep them going.

The Great Depression in the 30's also ushered in Prohibition. Its one thing to be dead ass broke but it was sheer genius for the government of the day to not let people have a drink whilst in the midst of total misery. Prohibition died a righteous death. The segue here is that with Covid squeezing the country in much the same fashion as the 30's depression era and we are in misery again Sports takes the place of alcohol.

Play Ball !!.
                        I'm not sure.. if no fans can go to the stadium, the buzz would be the same as if they were playing in the States. They don't play locally but you don't really get to see them play locally even if they were allowed to play here. I think the buzz will be the same regardless. The only time it might diminish a bit is if they are playing in a different timezone, which I don't think is happening.

Either way I think bars and restaurants are still going to be screwed unless they have really big patios. Masks indoors are now law and you can't drink/eat with a mask on.

The only people that get screwed are the airline, the hotel they would have stayed at, the shuttle services and the poor stiffs that have to clean up after the players after every game. But the NHL and their bubble will help give most of that back.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

I'm not sure.. if no fans can go to the stadium, the buzz would be the same as if they were playing in the States. They don't play locally but you don't really get to see them play locally even if they were allowed to play here. I think the buzz will be the same regardless. The only time it might diminish a bit is if they are playing in a different timezone, which I don't think is happening.

Either way I think bars and restaurants are still going to be screwed unless they have really big patios. Masks indoors are now law and you can't drink/eat with a mask on.

The only people that get screwed are the airline, the hotel they would have stayed at, the shuttle services and the poor stiffs that have to clean up after the players after every game. But the NHL and their bubble will help give most of that back.

You only have to wear a mask INTO the bar or restaurant now. Once socially-distance seated, patrons can remove their masks ..... you kinda have to, to eat.

I continue to not avoid work meetings, grocery stores, having a few friends or family over etc, but I'm also not rushing to sit on a busy patio and certainly not a busy indoor restaurant.

Watching the Raps on on 75" TV will have to do for now

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post

You only have to wear a mask INTO the bar or restaurant now. Once socially-distance seated, patrons can remove their masks ..... you kinda have to, to eat.

I continue to not avoid work meetings, grocery stores, having a few friends or family over etc, but I'm also not rushing to sit on a busy patio and certainly not a busy indoor restaurant.

I imagine watching Marcus Smart clank bricks from 3 and Jayson Tatum whinning to the refs after getting stuffed by OG or Pascal at the rim must be even better on a 75 inch screen.

Finally... Ball is on the horizon in just 3 more sleeps.
                            - TGO

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post

Nice! Been itching to go into a restaurant for some time now.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

You gotta admit though .. its a decent contrarian view even if my heart isn't in it.
                                I was surprised to not see anything supporting the Jays return to play in the Dome.

- TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X