This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Politics (In Sports)

A lot of people really want to talk politics in sports around here but it's in many different threads and that might throw topics off track. Here's a place to bring it and we'll talk about it right here on the main board so it's not lost in the background.
    Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jul 16, 2020, 05:33 AM.

slaw wrote: View Post

No NBA player will wear or work with Nike until they stop operating factories in countries like China and open factories in the US that provide jobs in black communities. Just one idea. I have others.
    I LOVE this idea. In practice, though, it might be tough to produce a cost competitive product in the US. Nike’s products are not that complex and largely automated these days, so it’s got a chance to work.

The best thing about this idea is that it puts Nike on the spot to help improve the black communities lives, instead of using black issues (like Kaepernick) to take shots at the US and act as China’s propaganda ministry to inflame racial tensions and divide.
    Last edited by golden; Mon Jul 13, 2020, 11:47 PM.

Comment

chris wrote: View Post

it's essentially refusing to play given that nike manufacture the uniforms, for one thing. it would also be taking on the nba and not just nike, since they make a shitload of money from the chinese market and it would cause a geopolitical shitstorm. i can't imagine the league would take too kindly to it.
      I took the idea as players like lebron putting pressure on Nike and their business practices, not refusing to wear an NBA uniform.
      But I guess that's not using lebron's platform or the way he sees his mission

Comment

Meh, worrying about Nike sweatshops is pretty 1998. Automation means thousands of good paying (for their market) shoe factory jobs in SE Asia, employing a high percentage of women, are at risk in the next 10-20 years. Nike and Adidas are actually building new facilities in NA +Europe because the higher tech requires more skilled labour. Some of those shoe factory jobs are moving back to the countries they started in.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
          Meh, worrying about Nike sweatshops is pretty 1998. Automation means thousands of good paying (for their market) shoe factory jobs in SE Asia, employing a high percentage of women, are at risk in the next 10-20 years. Nike and Adidas are actually building new facilities in NA +Europe because the higher tech requires more skilled labour. Some of those shoe factory jobs are moving back to the countries they started in.
          Surprisingly, automation in the clothing manufacturing industry is still behind other industries (like automotive). One technical reason is because fabrics aren't rigid, and automation works best with inflexible parts. Specifically, the back-end cut & sew operations have been harder to automate economically. The increasing desire for customization, and short production runs allows enables manual labor in low-cost geographies to be more cost efficient, because of the flexibility - quality is the trade-off.

Comment

chris wrote: View Post

sounds like a nice enough idea. maybe a bit much to expect the players to take on labor conditions in china and tackle systemic racial inequality at home at the same time though? likely risking their careers while they're at it?
            I only expect them to play basketball.

Certain NBA personalities are the ones talking about changing society, which can be incredibly risky and personally damaging but that's the actual cost of what they are talking about. If it was as easy as just having conversations, writing op-eds and virtue signaling on social media, the problems would be solved by now.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Surprisingly, automation in the clothing manufacturing industry is still behind other industries (like automotive). One technical reason is because fabrics aren't rigid, and automation works best with inflexible parts. Specifically, the back-end cut & sew operations have been harder to automate economically. The increasing desire for customization, and short production runs allows enables manual labor in low-cost geographies to be more cost efficient, because of the flexibility - quality is the trade-off.
              Also cheap labour in SE Asia meant there was no reason to change. The fun part of capitalism = if you're successful in increasing employee wages + benefits, eventually the employer starts looking for more cost effective means of production to keep margins healthy and shareholders happy. That either means shipping the jobs elsewhere or losing your job to a robot.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                I'll quote dave chapelle every chance I get.

Stop trying to give us Chinese jobs.

I wanna wear nikes not make them shits!
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

I'll quote dave chapelle every chance I get.

Stop trying to give us Chinese jobs.

I wanna wear nikes not make them shits!
                  Sounds a lot like a "Western Privilege(tm)" statement. That attitude is exactly why/how we lost our edge. We look like a society of Karens, compared to the hungry nations trying to kick our ass.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Sounds a lot like a "Western Privilege(tm)" statement. That attitude is exactly why/how we lost our edge. We look like a society of Karens, compared to the hungry nations trying to kick our ass.
                    We have enough jobs. Boomers all retiring soon, might have too many jobs. When people complain about manufacturing jobs lost, what they're really saying is they wanna be a high school drop out and be able to support a family of 4 with a nice house like red foreman. Learn a skill or get left behind. Capitalism has worked and continues to work.
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Dwyane Wade just deleted a tweet agreeing with Nick Cannon's anti semitic conspiracy theories.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post
                        Dwyane Wade just deleted a tweet agreeing with Nick Cannon's anti semitic conspiracy theories.
                        lebron's best buddy on his mission ....

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post
                          The politicization of sports is going great!

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

The politicization of sports is going great!
                            Gotta use that platform, speak their truth

Comment

This situation has opened my eyes to the fact that these people aren’t really pro equality, against racial bias or even anti-racist, but rather they're just pro minority when white people are the perpetrator. Ice Cube and Stephen Jackson and Cannon.....these clowns are all racists, it's obvious now, they're really no different from David Duke and Richard Spencer. Everything they say and do is meant to advance their race.

To quote Kareem: Where's the outrage over anti semitism in sports and in hollywood? Drew Brees gave his personal opinion on standing for the flag and he completely got CRUCIFIED on social media. Stephen Jackson's anti semitic comments? *crickets*

Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                              X