Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    Johnson only took 2 shots last night.

2 shots too many.

Leave a comment:

• godkingleonidas
    replied
    vs. Maccabi Haifa, Jay-Jo dribbling into double teams, losing the ball & the other side fast breaks the other way for easy peach buckets. LOL. *sigh* if he does that during the regular season, Coach Casey's gonna grind his molars & sprout gray hairs instantly.

Leave a comment:

• iblastoff
    replied
    Shirokin wrote: View Post
    I hate per 36. I don't find it very accurate. 30-36+ minutes are starters minutes. People who play less than that are asked to different things than starters are. I find it unlikely someone who looks like a stud playing 20 minutes a game is necessarily going to put up similar numbers per 36, due to fouls, different roles, exposing more of their weaknesses, fore line up reasons (ie who they play against) ect. Although it isn't like I've done research on this topic, it's just a gut feeling.
    per 36 is an extrapolation measurement. obviously no stat is going to be an accurate representation of a player, but per 36 helps to even out more proper projections when obviously everyone plays completely different minutes. its PPG and those metrics that don't matter at all.

Leave a comment:

• Shirokin
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    I find it funny that when reporters point to players improving from year to year, when they are talking about younger players (second year, third year) the improvements can almost always be attributed to longer minutes on the floor. Of course, it would make sense that in their early years they are facing opposing bench players. If you go down almost any players career stats, the increase in points, rebounds and assists correlate very closely with minutes played.
    Of course, it is hard to produce less when you are given more time to do so. But I just think extrapolating numbers based on a ratio of production vs time played can only be so accurate. I'm just not a fan when a person argues something using per 36; there may be a reason that player didn't play 36 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    I hate per 36. I don't find it very accurate. 30-36+ minutes are starters minutes. People who play less than that are asked to different things than starters are. I find it unlikely someone who looks like a stud playing 20 minutes a game is necessarily going to put up similar numbers per 36, due to fouls, different roles, exposing more of their weaknesses, fore line up reasons (ie who they play against) ect. Although it isn't like I've done research on this topic, it's just a gut feeling.
    I find it funny that when reporters point to players improving from year to year, when they are talking about younger players (second year, third year) the improvements can almost always be attributed to longer minutes on the floor. Of course, it would make sense that in their early years they are facing opposing bench players. If you go down almost any players career stats, the increase in points, rebounds and assists correlate very closely with minutes played.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle_Si
    replied
    All the Casey bashing is effing hilarious. Such fools.

Leave a comment:

• Shirokin
    replied
    thead wrote: View Post
    James Johnson per 36...if he plays himself into a starter (Kyle Lowry route)

roughly 14pts 6.5rebounds 4assists 2 steals and 2 blocks a game with great defense.

I would pay not crazy James Johnson 10m a year if he would accept his role.

EDIT: Just imagined the ball zipping around with Patterson in the starting lineup. 14pts 8 rebounds, 1.5 blocks, 1.5 steals per 36

Leave a comment:

• thead
    replied
    James Johnson per 36...if he plays himself into a starter (Kyle Lowry route)

roughly 14pts 6.5rebounds 4assists 2 steals and 2 blocks a game with great defense.

I would pay not crazy James Johnson 10m a year if he would accept his role.

EDIT: Just imagined the ball zipping around with Patterson in the starting lineup. 14pts 8 rebounds, 1.5 blocks, 1.5 steals per 36
    Last edited by thead; Tue Oct 21, 2014, 04:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    I have a feeling that the only one who can conceivably limit James Johnson's minutes is James Johnson.
    Yes, possibly. But it would be self defeating if he decided not to follow what seems to be a tacit understanding with the org. as to what his role is. I dont think his defensive talents are in dispute. I am probably as concerned of Casey going off the reservation as Johnson

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    Bendit wrote: View Post
    ....so I wouldnt worry about his play...unless of course Casey doesn't play him.
    I have a feeling that the only one who can conceivably limit James Johnson's minutes is James Johnson.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    I have a feeling that the great majority of NBA'ers will never downplay their abilities (they wont put down others either). It's in their dna thru the years...the "I'm as good or better than the other guy" kind of feeling. It's an in-built confidence or they wouldnt be there. JJ actually said it while most others would take a pass and deflect. Personally, I like that...it's an attitude that doesnt allow him to back down from stars like a Johnson, Durant, Kobe etc. He just has to channel it correctly. I would add that he took this opportunity because he feels it's the best team to use to market his talents for the next contract....so I wouldnt worry about his play...unless of course Casey doesnt play him.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Meh, I'm not expecting that much out of JJ. He hasn't played himself consistently into regular minutes as a positive contributor for a full season - ever. He has everything to prove before he starts comparing himself to the two best players on the team, on any level.

You can make excuses for why he hasn't found success yet, but so far his career is playing out pretty typically for a borderline NBA role player. Maybe he'll put it together, find the perfect situation, and turn it all into becoming a regular rotation player. Or maybe his next contract will be in Europe.

Fans are still scarred by the Joe Johnson experience. James Johnson will probably get spot minutes against big scoring 3's, and not much more.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Just wondering, does anyone know for what reason the Boston Globe decided to cover JJ?
    This is what I was going to ask. He's from Wyoming and went to University in North Carolina ...

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    JJ might actually have a point. He could very well have more natural "talent" than DeRozan, but that doesn't make him a better basketball player.
    Yeah, that's why I talked about context in my post, and rephrased it the way I wish he had said it so there could be no confusion about what he meant. I think the main reason JJ is still in the league is that he is a "physical specimen" and every GM/Coach sees the potential. I hope he applies himself, accepts his role and just buckles down to work at getting better at decision making through scenario based training.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X