Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're not getting Durant, how do we build a contender then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're not getting Durant, how do we build a contender then?

I really don't think Durant is going to sign here, it just doesn't make any sense. Pretty much every major market team will have significant cap space that year, as well as many other teams in the league. Signing Durant is a pipe-dream.

Now with that in mind, how do we build a title contender?

Ball movement + internal growth + hardnosed defense.
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

They'll have to add an all star. Millsap seems realistic. Al Horford in 2016. Parsons in 2016 if he opts out. Not really an all star, but a brilliant fit offensively, he could have an impact of an all star for this team.

It's been a while since I've looked at free agent lists. Durant, Love, Aldridge aren't likely. Horford, Millsap -- might be a chance. Rondo, Dragic, Marc Gasol, Hibbert, Conley, Al Jefferson, DeAndre Jordan, Asik - not a priority, unless there's a Jonas trade. Who else is available?

Comment

We already have 2 all-stars. Heat showed that having a 3rd one ruins your depth.
        Myself (March 2014):
        The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
          We already have 2 all-stars. Heat showed that having a 3rd one ruins your depth.
          The Heat made the finals four straight years and won two of the past three NBA titles. Think about what you're saying.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
            The Heat made the finals four straight years and won two of the past three NBA titles.
            They have the best player in the league.

Cavs also made it to the finals with a bunch of scrubs.
            Myself (March 2014):

Comment

They have the best player in the league.

Cavs also made it to the finals with a bunch of scrubs.
              So we shouldn't try and acquire more talent?

Comment

The biggest piece to the puzzle is JV. If he can become a dominant 2 way center sky's the limit.
                Myself (March 2014):

Comment

Trust in Masai; Bruno.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

So we shouldn't try and acquire more talent?
                    I don't get your point. You think teams will just throw away talent for whatever rason? Relying on getting talented players instead of focusing on your own talented players is a terrible idea.
                    Myself (March 2014):

Comment

I don't get your point. You think teams will just throw away talent for whatever rason? Relying on getting talented players instead of focusing on your own talented players is a terrible idea.
                      Getting talented players is always a good idea. You can still develop your own players while acquiring more players.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Well I think you can do both quite easily, and I think most good teams have an eye on how they can improve both inside and outside of their own team. Plus the topic at hand was what it would take for the Raptors to reach contender status, and I think most people would suggest that Toronto is at least one player away.

I never suggested that the Raptors would benefit from another team giving away a really talented player to us. Someone suggested that the team look to add another all-star calibre player in free agency (Millsap was brought up) and you seemed to scoff at the idea of adding him because three all-stars would be too much and not work (just look at those miserable Heat the last few years as an example).
                        Last edited by Fully; Thu Jul 24, 2014, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Well I think you can do both quite easily, and I think most good teams have an eye on how they can improve both inside and outside of their own team. Plus the topic at hand was what it would take for the Raptors to reach contender status, and I think most people would suggest that Toronto is at least one player away.

I never suggested that the Raptors would benefit from another team giving away a really talented player to us. Someone suggested that the team look to add another all-star calibre player in free agency (Millsap was brought up) and you seemed to scoff at the idea of adding him because three all-stars would be too much and not work (just look at those miserable Heat the last few years as an example!).
                          I'm not saying adding a player via free agency isn't a good idea, I'm saying it is a move you can't rely on. Did you see what happened to Houston this offseason? Or the list of good players they let go because of their obssession of acquiring talent?

You can't build a team like the Heat. You can buy it, but there is absolutely no chance of this happening in Toronto.
                          Myself (March 2014):

Comment

The most entertaining and likely (imo) path to a contender:

1. Get as close to a contender as possible.
                            2. Maintain flexibility.
                            3. Sustain that play over years.
                            4. Hope for a breakthrough from a development, coaching, drafting, free agency perspective that pushes you over the top.

In the end, you have to get lucky to win a championship, and I think that's as good a path as any. Plus it's more fun to watch a competitive team try and make that leap year in year out, than to watch the tank-contend cycle.

What it comes down to is that there is NO surefire way of winning a championship, any number of things outside of your control can derail a meticulous strategy.
                            "Bruno?
                            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

were good now. Let's see what our young guys do this year and adjust accordingly.

We have a DEEP team now and even our third string is loaded with upside.

Might be time to just play out the next two seasons making incremental changes
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                              X