Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're not getting Durant, how do we build a contender then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Spurs have 3 HOFers and one of the a top 3 coaches of all time. You cannot say that they don't have top tier talent. And that cannot be your only example. There are no teams that win it all without a truly transcendent player. The past 10 championships have all gone to the Spurs (3), the Mavs (1), the Heat (3), the Celtics (1) and the Lakers (2). These teams all had top ten players and great coaches. Masai knows that to win championships you need top tier talent, the likes of which the Raps currently dont have. (Not saying guys like Lowery and DD aren'y good players, saying that they are not top 10-15 players)
    Last edited by DogeLover123; Thu Jul 24, 2014, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Ankt

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        Ankt
        It's spelled "Angst."

Comment

OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
          I'm not saying adding a player via free agency isn't a good idea, I'm saying it is a move you can't rely on. Did you see what happened to Houston this offseason? Or the list of good players they let go because of their obssession of acquiring talent?

You can't build a team like the Heat. You can buy it, but there is absolutely no chance of this happening in Toronto.
          and you're saying relying on JV is going to be the key to us contending???

Comment

28 teams don't have LeBron or Durant. Neither teams that reached the finals have either now. OKC struggled in the playoffs and wasn't a lock to reach the WCF. League parity is a definite factor in determining a teams chances at a title.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
              and you're saying relying on JV is going to be the key to us contending???
              With the rest of a team. You cannot rely on 1 player to contend. I rely on JV's growth as a key component.
              Myself (March 2014):
              The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

DogeLover123 wrote: View Post
                The Spurs have 3 HOFers and one of the a top 3 coaches of all time. You cannot say that they don't have top tier talent.
                I disagree.
                - at PG Chris Paul is a top 10 player in the league - Tony Parker is not (and Lowry beats him)
                - at PF Kevin Love and Anthony Davis are top 10 players in the league - Tim Duncan was (and PP and Amir are close to Timmy now)
                - the only one who could be a top 10 player is Kawhi Leonard at SF - and Demar Derozan was chosen as an allstar, not Kawhi

After that, look at what's left: Manu Ginobli, Tiago Splitter, Danny Green and Marco Belinelli?
                Not that different from: Jonas Valanciunas, Patrick Patterson, Terrence Ross and Greivis Vazquez

Yes, we have a ways to go still.

And the point stands that unless you believe Kawhi Leonard is a top 10 player in the league, the Spurs don't have a superstar. What they do have is solid talent at every position, great team play and coaching, and longevity together as a team. We can try to emulate that.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                  It's spelled "Angst."
                  LOL, I'm pretty sure it's spelled ank-t

Comment

Kuh wrote: View Post
                    I disagree.
                    - at PG Chris Paul is a top 10 player in the league - Tony Parker is not (and Lowry beats him)
                    - at PF Kevin Love and Anthony Davis are top 10 players in the league - Tim Duncan was (and PP and Amir are close to Timmy now)
                    Oh god lol.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                      Oh god lol.
                      The second bold is wrong and to quote Stephen A. Smith, blasphemous. As Skip would say it's asinine, asiten, asieleven, asitwelve.

Lowry being better than Tony Parker at this point is probably accurate. Offensive numbers are a wash and Lowry is better defensively.

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                        The second bold is wrong and to quote Stephen A. Smith, blasphemous. As Skip would say it's asinine, asiten, asieleven, asitwelve.

Lowry being better than Tony Parker at this point is probably accurate. Offensive numbers are a wash and Lowry is better defensively.
                        You can't use just numbers as an argument when comparing a spurs player to another team's player.

Who in the NBA is a better PG than Parker? That list has only one name on it, and it isn't Lowry.

Comment

You can't use just numbers as an argument when comparing a spurs player to another team's player.

Who in the NBA is a better PG than Parker? That list has only one name on it, and it isn't Lowry.
                          Is it Ish Smith?

Comment

Westbrook is also better imo. So is a healthy Rose.

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                              Westbrook is also better imo. So is a healthy Rose.
                              For me, Westbrook is not better. Rose, I have no idea since he's been injured.

I also doubt the longevity of "explosive" point guards that try to outrun you and then dunk on everyone, but that's only relevant on a "career as a whole" comparison.

Comment

Kuh wrote: View Post
                                I disagree.
                                - the only one who could be a top 10 player is Kawhi Leonard at SF - and Demar Derozan was chosen as an allstar, not Kawhi

After that, look at what's left: Manu Ginobli, Tiago Splitter, Danny Green and Marco Belinelli?
                                Not that different from: Jonas Valanciunas, Patrick Patterson, Terrence Ross and Greivis Vazquez

Yes, we have a ways to go still.

And the point stands that unless you believe Kawhi Leonard is a top 10 player in the league, the Spurs don't have a superstar. What they do have is solid talent at every position, great team play and coaching, and longevity together as a team. We can try to emulate that.
                                ....... Please tell me you do not think that the Raps are as good/better than the Spurs. Even if you think that the Spurs are full of scrubs, other nine teams on my original post all had at least one of the top players in the league. I like the Raps but in no way can you say they are as good as the Spurs. The Raps didn't get 50 wins and didn't make it out of an hilariously weak eastern conference, while the Spurs won the loaded western conference and the title, they are miles apart. (I still think the Raps had a good season but not as good as the Spurs)

Comment

Working...
                                X