Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restart Game #1: Toronto Raptors vs Los Angeles Lakers - August 1, 2020 - 8:30pm ET

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Comment


    • Comment


      • Awesome game. Love this team. Bench was rough, but Serge managed a decent stint at the end (mostly just invisible late but that’s plenty good when the stars are clicking). Lowry is amazing. OG was fantastic. Siakam needs the ball more, but came through late, and was very good defensively on Davis. FVV again doing too much on offence but again, late, they took him off ball and he delivered a dagger or two.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

        Comment


        • Fun game, I thought it was going to be tooth and nail until the end. I'm glad the guys stepped up and played some great defence and hit some big shots to pull away. The Clippers are the team to beat in the west. I don't think we see these Lakers again.

          Comment


          • golden wrote: View Post
            I would not be too surprised if the Raps blow the Lakers out today. Media will spin it like the Lakers didn't take the Raps as seriously as the Clippers and beating Lebron was our Super Bowl. Lebron will praise the Raps for their "championship DNA" and use the loss as a way to roast his own teammates who need to "get on his level" of to understand what it takes to win a championship.


            https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/08/02...team-they-are/

            Comment


            • I think the media is giving them props now. Many of the outlets are saying they are in the mix with the Bucks, Lakers, and Clippers.

              It's hard, even as a fan of Raptors, not to look at this team and think they are underdogs. We don't have a top 5 player like the other teams, and it's been engrained in us that it's needed, and history exhibits that it is. But, we no longer have super teams to contend with. The Lakers have two top 5 guys and zero depth. The Bucks have the top player in the league, a good secondary player and depth. The Clippers have a top 5 player and a top 15 player and depth. We have two all-stars, and a shit ton of depth. The league hasn't had this parity in a long long time.

              The league resembles 2004 a lot more than it has in previous years. A year that a balanced team with great defence won the championship.

              Comment


              • golden wrote: View Post
                I would not be too surprised if the Raps blow the Lakers out today. Media will spin it like the Lakers didn't take the Raps as seriously as the Clippers and beating Lebron was our Super Bowl. Lebron will praise the Raps for their "championship DNA" and use the loss as a way to roast his own teammates who need to "get on his level" of to understand what it takes to win a championship.
                “It’s a great team, no ifs, ands or buts. Exceptionally well-coached, championship DNA, you can never take that away from a ball club,” the Lakers star said. “They’ve won a championship and even before that they have playoff tested guys – that’s just a great team. The media might not talk about them much or give them credit because Kawhi is gone but players in the league definitely know what type of team they are.”

                Check and check, Golden.

                Edit: didn't see the whole thread before I saw you recapped this this too.
                Last edited by G__Deane; Sun Aug 2nd, 2020, 10:21 AM.

                Comment


                • 007 wrote: View Post
                  Man, I can’t believe we had Nurse on the bench for years before putting him as the #1
                  Nick Nurse lifetime NBA coaching record 105-42 = .714

                  Comment


                  • saints91 wrote: View Post
                    I think the media is giving them props now. Many of the outlets are saying they are in the mix with the Bucks, Lakers, and Clippers.

                    It's hard, even as a fan of Raptors, not to look at this team and think they are underdogs. We don't have a top 5 player like the other teams, and it's been engrained in us that it's needed, and history exhibits that it is. But, we no longer have super teams to contend with. The Lakers have two top 5 guys and zero depth. The Bucks have the top player in the league, a good secondary player and depth. The Clippers have a top 5 player and a top 15 player and depth. We have two all-stars, and a shit ton of depth. The league hasn't had this parity in a long long time.

                    The league resembles 2004 a lot more than it has in previous years. A year that a balanced team with great defence won the championship.
                    The problem is that in the NBA playoffs, the super teams get a 10 pt advantage in bullchit no-touch star calls that the Lowrys and Siakam's just don't get. Just look at Davis' mediocre game last night but 9 trips to the foul line to help him out. What are lebron's average trips tot he foul line/game? Toronto will always be playing the other team and the ref because the NBA and television ratings and sponsors want it that way.

                    It would be interesting to see kawhi's trips to the fouls line last year vs this.

                    Comment


                    • Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                      Alex Caruso still looks like the old guy shooting hoops by himself at the city gym.
                      You seen me at the gym???

                      Comment


                      • saints91 wrote: View Post
                        I think the media is giving them props now. Many of the outlets are saying they are in the mix with the Bucks, Lakers, and Clippers.

                        It's hard, even as a fan of Raptors, not to look at this team and think they are underdogs. We don't have a top 5 player like the other teams, and it's been engrained in us that it's needed, and history exhibits that it is. But, we no longer have super teams to contend with. The Lakers have two top 5 guys and zero depth. The Bucks have the top player in the league, a good secondary player and depth. The Clippers have a top 5 player and a top 15 player and depth. We have two all-stars, and a shit ton of depth. The league hasn't had this parity in a long long time.

                        The league resembles 2004 a lot more than it has in previous years. A year that a balanced team with great defence won the championship.
                        The media apology bandwagon is loading up. A lot of people don't want to look stupid and get roasted on social media. Dennis Scott is the leader of that group and has seen the error in his ways. He's begging for forgiveness now. Meh, I'd prefer that the MSM just keep that energy. It wouldn't be Raptors basketball without the disrespect.

                        FF to the 7:00 min mark for good chuckle....






                        Comment


                        • saints91 wrote: View Post
                          I think the media is giving them props now. Many of the outlets are saying they are in the mix with the Bucks, Lakers, and Clippers.

                          It's hard, even as a fan of Raptors, not to look at this team and think they are underdogs. We don't have a top 5 player like the other teams, and it's been engrained in us that it's needed, and history exhibits that it is. But, we no longer have super teams to contend with. The Lakers have two top 5 guys and zero depth. The Bucks have the top player in the league, a good secondary player and depth. The Clippers have a top 5 player and a top 15 player and depth. We have two all-stars, and a shit ton of depth. The league hasn't had this parity in a long long time.

                          The league resembles 2004 a lot more than it has in previous years. A year that a balanced team with great defence won the championship.
                          This is a good point. Everyone wants these teams to be the Warriors, but they aren't.

                          A big takeaway from last night was the Raptors stepping up in crunch time to pull away vs an elite team. That's superstar time, "extra gear" time. If the Raptors can do that as a team (especially with their defence), then they can hang with anybody.

                          But also - these guys like Caruso and Beverly are getting way overhyped because they play on bright lights teams with superstars. Meanwhile the highlight guys at ESPN literally can't even pronounce OG's name, but the Raps are full of quality guys like this and people don't even know they're good. The difference is pretty stark.

                          And Doris Burke is great. She actually knows ball, the players, the history. Her commentary has depth. She should be on the A team.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                          Comment


                          • Davis's foul shots were all warranted. Those were stupid fouls by the Raptors when they were in the bonus. I was screaming at the TV over the dumb fouls in the 2nd quarter. Kyle got a few questionable calls go his way, so I think we got a good whistle. Overall the officiating was good, maybe they should have buried the whistles a bit.

                            I agree though, we usually don't get a fair whistle. I hope we see better officiating in this bubble.
                            Last edited by saints91; Sun Aug 2nd, 2020, 10:39 AM.

                            Comment


                            • S.R. wrote: View Post

                              ESPN literally can't even pronounce OG's name,

                              And Doris Burke is great. She actually knows ball, the players, the history. Her commentary has depth. She should be on the A team.
                              Haha did you hear Worthy butcher OG's name? Come on man, just say OG if you don't know how to say his last name.

                              I agree Doris Burke is top notch, I love when she's on the Lowe Post Pod. She is probably the least bias commentator that works for ESPN.

                              Comment


                              • Nurse called that "vintage Kyle Lowry" in the post game, I can't help but think this is actually peak Kyle Lowry. Anyone else think he's just been getting better each year? He picks his spots better, plays to his strengths better, controls the game better, hits his teammates better. Even drew fouls last night he never used to seem to get called.

                                The break will benefit guys like him, who play with abandon and tend to hit the playoffs banged up, most of all.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X