No announcement yet.

Restart Game #2: Toronto Raptors vs Miami Heat - August 3, 2020 - 1:30pm ET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heck of a rough and tumble, grind it out win. Really smart move putting OG on Bam and switching the perimeter guys so much, and saving OG switches for the hardest actions to cover (like the Bam/Robinson pick plays that usually lead to open threes). What a game plan.

Fred catching fire from three was obviously much needed. Got to the rim quickly too, which helped him draw some fouls, though over a series teams will smarten up and make him try to hit those layups. His pull up three is probably his best weapon when trying to create in games like this where a good defence clogs up our primary options.

I think TD's struggles are a) overblown and b) completely predictable and c) hopefully don't lead to McCaw because that would be way worse. For some reason they are asking TD to create offence when he plays. And throwing him out there with 3 or 4 other bench players, which is nuts in competitive games against playoff teams (which is every game at this point). RHJ should be situational at this point, but he's getting extended run. Against playoff defences that's not gonna fly. Especially with Norm and Serge reverting to their previous forms at an inopportune time. Same goes for Matt Thomas - we don't need another off ball shooter, we need creators on the floor, and Thomas is not that, and in the playoffs there's nowhere to hide his defence. Situational use for him too.

In any case, the solution to all these problems is to do what we always do in the playoffs, shrink the rotation and stagger the creators - Lowry and Siakam specifically but also getting Marc and FVV sprinkled throughout. Leave TD off the ball where he is a killer shooter, cutter, surprise rebounder (and he's not exactly great defensively but he's a cut above Thomas at this point). He's got a bit of work to put in before he's running offence. But you leave him spotting up and he can help bench units buy one of your creators some rest.

And I understand the hesitation to pull the starters away from each other, as that lineup has been gangbusters, like insanely good so far in the restart and very good on the year overall (on the rare occasion they've all been healthy). But we can't be throwing the bench to the wolves. Gotta see if we can find a better way to rotate through the bench players we need without using them all at once.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Still really irked by blowing the 17 point lead or whatever we had at one point. The Dragic trip was disgusting but whatever.. glad the Raptors regained their composure and won in crunch time (yet again). Fred was awesome, despite sort of struggling early on. I thought Siakam did a great job early but sort of disappeared a bit later on in the game. Team high +14 though.

Norm was good defensively. Not great offensively. Hopefully he's able to get back to "player of the week" levels.

Marc hasn't done much but when you look at his net rating its pretty amazing. He just seems to drive production from the guys he's playing with. Can't wait to see what he does against Vucevic tomorrow.

Serge looked like he was having a bad game, but his box score was decent (not the -7 part though).

Lowry almost had his 20/5/5 game but missed out on points. He got into foul trouble.. that "offensive foul" was also really dumb. And it caused us to burn a timeout on the challenge.

OG's defense on Bam was fantastic. He also switched on to Jimmy a lot. Still nailing the corner 3. Got a little too comfortable with his dribble drive though.. at one time he should have kicked it out when he was at the rim, but got snuffed by 3 Heat players.

Good win against a tough team. Looks like we're really locking up that 2nd seed. I think our Magic Number is now at 3.

Comment

• I posted about OG and Siakam a few years ago when everyone was pissed Toronto had someone leave, or they lost out on a guy...forget who...no matter. Last year, I posted that Toronto was fine after Kawhi left because OG was going to step into his shoes, not fully, but enough that you wouldn't notice him gone.

I was right on all accounts, as I, am always right.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
          I posted about OG and Siakam a few years ago when everyone was pissed Toronto had someone leave, or they lost out on a guy...forget who...no matter. Last year, I posted that Toronto was fine after Kawhi left because OG was going to step into his shoes, not fully, but enough that you wouldn't notice him gone.

I was right on all accounts, as I, am always right.

Who's wife are you ?

Comment

• Miami does us two solids.
            1/ Loses to the Raps
            2/ Beats the Celtics tonight

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              ...For some reason they are asking TD to create offence when he plays. And throwing him out there with 3 or 4 other bench players, which is nuts in competitive games against playoff teams (which is every game at this point)...
              This.

Comment

Working...
              X