Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restart Game # 6 Toronto at Milwaukee Monday August 10th 6:30pm

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DanH wrote: View Post

    Meh, I doubt it differs much from usual operating procedure for teams considering the way the CBA works and the ability to claw back salaries based on revenues.
    I know that the salary cap is tied to revenue, but once a player negotiates a salary, is that also tied to future revenues? There is some adjustment due to games played, but if the NBA plays 82 games next year without fan revenue, does that mean that guy like Kyle Lowry won't get his full $30M? I'm not clear on how that works.

    Comment


    • DanH wrote: View Post

      Meh, I doubt it differs much from usual operating procedure for teams considering the way the CBA works and the ability to claw back salaries based on revenues.
      A lot of the owners are in serious financial trouble or, at a minimum, have major liquidity issues. You are going to see first round picks for sale, so that teams don't have guaranteed contracts. You are going to see players traded for the sole purpose of saving money. You are going to see teams being sold (2 are already for sale and there will be more). There will not be a lot of teams looking at 4-year $80 million contracts.
      Last edited by slaw; Wed Aug 12th, 2020, 12:51 PM.

      Comment


      • slaw wrote: View Post

        A lot of the owners are in serious financial trouble or, at a minimum, have major liquidity issues. You are going to see first round picks for sale, so that teams don't have guaranteed contracts. You are going to see players traded for the sole purpose of saving money. You are going to see teams being sold (2 are already for sale and there will be more). There will not be a lot of teams looking at 4-year $80 million contracts.
        If any owners do any of that (besides selling picks for cash or selling teams, because that's real cashflow), they are incredibly stupid.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

        Comment


        • golden wrote: View Post

          I know that the salary cap is tied to revenue, but once a player negotiates a salary, is that also tied to future revenues? There is some adjustment due to games played, but if the NBA plays 82 games next year without fan revenue, does that mean that guy like Kyle Lowry won't get his full $30M? I'm not clear on how that works.
          That's right, every year there is escrow clawback, a portion of every paycheck for players goes into an escrow account instead of to them, and if at the end of the year, player salaries are more than the 50% of actual revenue they are supposed to be, the appropriate amount of escrow money goes to the owners instead of the to the players. The opposite case doesn't use escrow, if the players make too little one year the owners have to give every player in the league an after-the-fact pay raise to bring salaries up to 50% of revenue.

          Going into next season the NBA will make sure that their escrow agreement with players is sufficient to cover projected lost revenue and both sides will lose that revenue equally, or they will use the force majeure clause (as they would be quite capable of, since they can't fill stadiums yet) to cancel the season.

          To give an extreme example, if revenues come in at 80% what they were projected at, and players across the league make in their contracts the right amount for the projected revenue, then every player in the league would lose 20% of their pay via the escrow system.

          I suspect escrow amounts or potential salary clawbacks will be used to ensure owners and players are protected from a significant reduction in revenue, up to and including not being able to sell a single ticket this year.

          There are other cap mechanisms that help adjust for all this stuff (like if players earn too much one year, the cap is artificially dropped the next to prevent that from happening again), but the details aren't super important because the big picture is the two sides are going to have to come to an agreement on how to proceed or the owners will shut the whole thing down. I'm sure no one wants to throw away the multiple billions of dollars of TV revenue that would still be there this coming season, so the two sides will figure out a way to align salaries with revenues. Nevermind the threat of ripping up the whole CBA the owners could use against the players in a force majeure situation.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

          Comment


          • DanH wrote: View Post

            If any owners do any of that (besides selling picks for cash or selling teams, because that's real cashflow), they are incredibly stupid.
            It's going to be fascinating and there is going to be a major divide between haves and have nots. There will be real opportunity for teams willing and able to spend money. But I would not want to be a free agent.

            Comment


            • G__Deane wrote: View Post

              What about overall scoring for the 5 with marc vs Serge?
              Does Marc get the other 4 starters 2 more points each while Serge outscores Marc by 10?

              To me, a big part of it will be to not over pay either one on long term deals
              I don't think Masai or Bobby are overpaying anyone on long term deals until we know how the Giannis situation plays out.

              Comment


              • slaw wrote: View Post

                It's going to be fascinating and there is going to be a major divide between haves and have nots. There will be real opportunity for teams willing and able to spend money. But I would not want to be a free agent.
                My point is that there is no financial benefit to cutting player salary in any extreme way. If you spend below 90% of the cap, you just have to bump up your player salary to 90% of the cap by giving your own players raises at the end of the year. Every year there are a few teams that are near the floor. Maybe this year there are more of those teams. But it won't change the fact that there are a solid bunch of teams entering this "summer" with huge cap room and no real benefit in not spending it.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

                Comment


                • DanH wrote: View Post

                  No team will be favourites without a superstar to run offence through. And no, I completely disagree, there is no usage for Gasol that would have driven this team to an elite halfcourt offence.
                  I didn't specify halfcourt offense however I imagined sort of a Brook Lopez affect where Gasol being a more consistent threat from the perimeter opening more lanes for Siakam, and to some degree Lowry, Norm, OG...

                  Comment


                  • Overrated


                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                    Comment


                    • LJ2 wrote: View Post

                      I didn't specify halfcourt offense however I imagined sort of a Brook Lopez affect where Gasol being a more consistent threat from the perimeter opening more lanes for Siakam, and to some degree Lowry, Norm, OG...
                      Bottom line for me, is Gasol can do a bit more without giving up D, making some nice passes and setting screens. Overall, offense would go up a touch since he would be spacing out the floor a bit more and not passing to others in worse positions.

                      I've been saying this for months and glad to see (again) that Nurse agrees.

                      Comment


                      • LJ2 wrote: View Post

                        I didn't specify halfcourt offense however I imagined sort of a Brook Lopez affect where Gasol being a more consistent threat from the perimeter opening more lanes for Siakam, and to some degree Lowry, Norm, OG...
                        Yeah, it could be better. But just like with Lopez, teams will dare them to shoot given the choice of letting the star go off. And note that the key point with Lopez is his effect is really good because of Giannis inside. Without Giannis its a lot less valuable.

                        So we agree and disagree. I agree with you that Gasol taking more shots would help the offence. I disagree that there is any scenario where the half court offence wouldn't be looked at as a weakness because of the lack of an established 1-on-1 scoring star. It would look about the same, just with a little better efficiency.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

                        Comment


                        • I've really noticed just the space Gasol occupies is much more of a deterrent than Ibaka. Gasol moves his feet really well and when he falls back into the lane he cuts off a lot of options for guys who want to go to the rim. Ibaka gets his blocks but leaves more space on the court and doesn't rotate quite as well.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                          Comment


                          • So in case nobody was aware.. there is a game today. 6:30 against the 6ers.

                            Comment


                            • planetmars wrote: View Post
                              So in case nobody was aware.. there is a game today. 6:30 against the 6ers.
                              i WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST THAT. Wondering if were getting a thread?

                              Comment


                              • S.R. wrote: View Post
                                Overrated

                                To be honest though I dont think KM was going all out on Monday.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X