Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Huh?

He was the exact same player last year and we don't win a championship without him.
    There was also some other guy here last year ..... Kawhatsis name.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

There was also some other guy here last year ..... Kawhatsis name.
      Yep, and without Marc gasol wed be looking at nba champion Milwaukee bucks right now
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• The teams who have clinched a Playoff spot have no reason to really put in any effort in these games. Marc is 35 and averaging less than 25 mins a game in the bubble. I'll wait until the Playoffs.

Comment

• The thing about Marc is he'll give you somewhere between 0-8 points a game, but will usually end up +10 and help win a game. In the end its the winning the game part that matters. He's the Kyle Lowry of centers.

A little scoring is a bonus. And he's a 39% shooter from 3. So he'll make 2 out of every 5 shots.

Although when playing the Celtics I think I'd prefer Serge starting and Marc to go up against Kanter. I just don't like the Theis/Marc match-up that much. He's not going to really be needed against the Nets. I mean we could start Boucher or RHJ against the Nets and beat them.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Yep, and without Marc gasol wed be looking at nba champion Milwaukee bucks right now
            Yeah, but Marc has to do more of the heavy lifting this year. He can’t be ‘exactly the same’ or we’re cooked.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              The thing about Marc is he'll give you somewhere between 0-8 points a game, but will usually end up +10 and help win a game. In the end its the winning the game part that matters. He's the Kyle Lowry of centers.

A little scoring is a bonus. And he's a 39% shooter from 3. So he'll make 2 out of every 5 shots.

Although when playing the Celtics I think I'd prefer Serge starting and Marc to go up against Kanter. I just don't like the Theis/Marc match-up that much. He's not going to really be needed against the Nets. I mean we could start Boucher or RHJ against the Nets and beat them.
              What we're seeing with Gasol is an issue we've seen with a couple of players in the past (Lowry for a small stretch years back, and 2Pat): You don't necessarily need to average 15ppg, BUT defences need to believe you can put up 15 if they don't respect your shot. The only way to make them believe that (ie respect your shot), is when you don't pass up open ones.

The reason that is crucial is not because we need more raw points out of Gasol, it's because if opposing defences start to treat him (or any other player for that matter) as someone that doesn't shoot from anywhere on the floor (neither from outside, nor midrange, nor paint, nor post), you're now playing 4 on 5, which hurts the production/efficiency of everyone else on the floor.

I have a lot of respect for Gasol as I'm 100% sure we would have been nowhere near winning the championship without him. But at the same time, just as we've come to be critical of no-defence 1-way way players, the reverse should also be true for the other type of 1-way player. In today's NBA, the starting lineup of a contending team gotta be five 2-way players, so you're not hiding anyone on either end of the floor.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, but Marc has to do more of the heavy lifting this year. He can’t be ‘exactly the same’ or we’re cooked.
                Sure, but we're not exactly favourites to repeat, and it's not because Gasol doesn't take more shots, it's because we lack a superstar. Gasol being more aggressive doesn't fix that. I think he needs to take his open threes with no hesitation but beyond that I really don't want him doing more in terms of scoring.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Can't keep everybody
                  Agreed!

But letting Gasol walk to, say, keep Ibaka, would be insane.

It's no coincidence that literally every rotation player has a higher on-court net rating with Gasol than with Serge (most by significant margins).
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Sure, but we're not exactly favourites to repeat, and it's not because Gasol doesn't take more shots, it's because we lack a superstar. Gasol being more aggressive doesn't fix that. I think he needs to take his open threes with no hesitation but beyond that I really don't want him doing more in terms of scoring.
                    Agreed... that was my point to Keon. Like remember the Sixers series when both Gasol and Lowry became completely scared to shoot? And Danny Green disappeared and FVV was un-playable? All of that combined genius BBIQ of Lowry and Gasol resulted in the ball in Siakam and Kawhi's hands for a highly contested jumper with just a few seconds on the shot clock. Giving up the great shot for the bad shot.... smart basketball, right there.

When "the others" get seasick, that's exactly why you need a legit superstar. Gasol and Lowry passing up those wide open looks is something that has to change this year, to make up for the loss. Lowry has a bit more of an excuse than Gasol, because he's more likely to get his shot blocked, which we saw in the finals.

Comment

Agree with this almost completely. All I want to see from Gasol right now that he isn't doing, is taking those wide open 3's with no hesitation...or atleast when there isn't a clearly better shot available for someone. The only area my opinion defers is if Gasol had been taking more shots through the season our offense could look very different and potentially we may not need a superstar to make us favourites to repeat.

Comment

Agreed!

But letting Gasol walk to, say, keep Ibaka, would be insane.

It's no coincidence that literally every rotation player has a higher on-court net rating with Gasol than with Serge (most by significant margins).
                        What about overall scoring for the 5 with marc vs Serge?
                        Does Marc get the other 4 starters 2 more points each while Serge outscores Marc by 10?

To me, a big part of it will be to not over pay either one on long term deals

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Agree with this almost completely. All I want to see from Gasol right now that he isn't doing, is taking those wide open 3's with no hesitation...or atleast when there isn't a clearly better shot available for someone. The only area my opinion defers is if Gasol had been taking more shots through the season our offense could look very different and potentially we may not need a superstar to make us favourites to repeat.
                          No team will be favourites without a superstar to run offence through. And no, I completely disagree, there is no usage for Gasol that would have driven this team to an elite halfcourt offence.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Does Marc get the other 4 starters 2 more points each while Serge outscores Marc by 10?

I agree, we shouldn't overpay either on long term deals. We shouldn't even offer either player a long term deal even at a reasonable cap hit! And with the tax situation, we will likely only offer one of them a one year deal. That one player offered a one year deal should obviously be Marc. Not only because he is a way better basketball player, but also because he's far less likely to have big multi-year deals on the market due to his age (and is therefore more likely to accept said one year deal).

The important thing is not who scores more or assists more. The important thing is who the team plays better around. Neither player is going to be a star for us, so their impact is what matters, and Marc blows Serge out of the water. The offence is about the same with either player, because Serge can indeed score better than Marc, which offsets the playmaking. Defensively there is no comparison between the two.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

I don't think many players will be getting long term deals in any sport this offseason, let alone big money deals. Guys like Gasol and Ibaka will not be the exception to the rule.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I don't think many players will be getting long term deals in any sport this offseason, let alone big money deals. Guys like Gasol and Ibaka will not be the exception to the rule.
                                Meh, I doubt it differs much from usual operating procedure for teams considering the way the CBA works and the ability to claw back salaries based on revenues.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X