Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basstreblevol
    replied
    If I were to build the BEST Raptors of all time at the peaks of their careers (regardless of which team they were on when they peaked)

PG - Damon Stoudamire
    SG - Vince Carter
    SF - Tracy McGrady
    PF - Chris Bosh
    C - Hakeem Olajuwon

...we could've been great

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
    BS or not, I guess I just equate greatness and best together.

Mostly, I came here for the initial question that caught my attention .... "name the best raptors of all time". It's a topic that is great to debate, especially when the discussion comes to Vince Carter. Suffice to say, my only input into this discussion is how I agree on the Bosh and Carter choices. With respect to Raptor history, and some questionable names, I simply see the combined question as an oxymoron. And with that, some of the seats will remain unfilled for me.

As to pining for a better history - that statement takes my post out of context. Personally, I'm more apt to let it happen as it does, without sounding overtly philosophical.

Maybe I can ask you a question, that is somewhat relative to this thread, from a forecast perspective (as opposed to hindsight).

If the dream opportunity for a Canadian to achieve stardom and do it with the Raptors (time not withstanding) seemed destined to become reality, who would you be prepared to offer up if you could start that scenario much sooner (like right now). That's assuming you believe Wiggins has the ability to be a Star - presumptuous that I may be.
    Well then you're just plain wrong. Best and greatness aren't the same thing. There is no oxymoron. When someone asks, what's the best way to die; it has nothing to do with greatness but rather the highest attributable choice from within the finite choices available. You can choose the best without it being great.

Your response discredits the contributions from players, who while never attaining star status or greatness, still deserve recognition as the best to play that position in our history. Antonio Davis, Mo Pete, Jose, Donyell Marshall, Mighty Mouse, Anthony Parker. All deserve some recognition in the discussion of best Raptors by position, yet none would be considered great. To omit positions is to say nobody noteworthy ever played that position.

Are you really trying to make this into a Wiggins trade thread? No thanks. I will add though, I really don't care if the Raps land a Canadian born star. As long as we get star players, nationality is just for the media and little kids.

Leave a comment:

• raptors999
    replied
    Hakeem, not while on the Raptors but he is by far the best player to have ever played in Toronto.

Leave a comment:

• RapthoseLeafs
    replied
    Axel wrote: View Post
    You continue to completely miss the point. Best Raptor by position doesn't need to be qualified against any players who played for other teams. It doesn't matter that the Raps haven't had a star PG or C yet. Who's the best they've had is the question.

Yes, it would be nice if the Raps had more history and more great players but pining for a better history is useless. Our history belongs to us, both the good and bad. Reflect on it, accept it and answer the OP question without all this BS that isn't relevant.
    BS or not, I guess I just equate greatness and best together.

Mostly, I came here for the initial question that caught my attention .... "name the best raptors of all time". It's a topic that is great to debate, especially when the discussion comes to Vince Carter. Suffice to say, my only input into this discussion is how I agree on the Bosh and Carter choices. With respect to Raptor history, and some questionable names, I simply see the combined question as an oxymoron. And with that, some of the seats will remain unfilled for me.

As to pining for a better history - that statement takes my post out of context. Personally, I'm more apt to let it happen as it does, without sounding overtly philosophical.

Maybe I can ask you a question, that is somewhat relative to this thread, from a forecast perspective (as opposed to hindsight).

If the dream opportunity for a Canadian to achieve stardom and do it with the Raptors (time not withstanding) seemed destined to become reality, who would you be prepared to offer up if you could start that scenario much sooner (like right now). That's assuming you believe Wiggins has the ability to be a Star - presumptuous that I may be.
    Last edited by RapthoseLeafs; Thu Jul 31, 2014, 10:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Miekenstien
    replied
    Our history belongs to us, both the good and bad.
    +1
    i remember those 2 good years.
    hopefully our present is a continuation of the recent past.

i also think enough time has passed for lowry. he played the entire year here unlike gay, who i don't understand how he is getting votes because mcgradys' last season here was great.

great players at pg if you are looking career then damon is there. western conference finalist starter, almost a starter his whole career. very very good player. would have chosen him if lowry didn't play out of his mind this year.

antonio was an allstar level center for us, so what is your definition of great?

anyone here not hate alonzo?

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    You continue to completely miss the point. Best Raptor by position doesn't need to be qualified against any players who played for other teams. It doesn't matter that the Raps haven't had a star PG or C yet. Who's the best they've had is the question.

You continue to go on about greatness but that is irrelevant to the topic. Yes, it would be nice if the Raps had more history and more great players but pining for a better history is useless. Our history belongs to us, both the good and bad. Reflect on it, accept it and answer the OP question without all this BS that isn't relevant.

Leave a comment:

• RapthoseLeafs
    replied
    Your rant just skims over the fact that nowhere in the OP does it ask for great, or greatest players. Best players by position. No need to quote the dictionary for a word that is never asked for.

If the question was who are the greatest players to ever play for the Raps, then the list is short (and no, Jose doesn't belong on it). Hakeem, Vince, T-Mac, Bosh. That is likely it, although Mark Jackson and Peja Stojakovic would deserve consideration.
    In some respects - you're right. It was a bit of a rant.

But the truth is, the main headline says "name the best Raptors of all time .... by position ... peak season". Which is a fair enough follow-up. My problem is that Raptors can't fill all the Starting positions. You're right, Jose should not be on the list. That's my mistake, letting a soft spot for the guy affect my choice. Reality is ... fielding all the spots is a struggle for this team, if homerism is put aside.

When it comes to position by position, after SG--SF--PF (Carter .. Bosh) ... I begin to draw a blank. Either I forgot someone, or I just don't see greatness in anybody else. Lowry is capable of it, although we need to see multiple years. Jonas is who I see as becoming great. Possibly more dominating then Vince Carter ever was - although that is a tall order.

Despite trying to have a little fun and go off the road, this question is not easy to handle. Too little history has expired. For the most part, Raptor lore is still drawing itself.

All this aside, I had a weird thought during the recent (and never-ending it seems) Wiggins saga and his potential trade to Minny. Got to wonder if Raptors could make a trade, and knowing that it has to be a top player on Toronto, who might that player be, if Wiggins was coming back the other way.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Letter N wrote: View Post
    He was my hero. For me in grade school it was Grant Hill and him. Jordan was a complete tier below those two for me.
    Grant Hill Pistons highlights!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGmULtF91Y8

I hope the choke slam and the dunk in 'Zo's face were in the same game. I hate 'Zo. Forever.

Leave a comment:

• Letter N
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    I just realized why Midey Mause is your avatar.
    He was my hero. For me in grade school it was Grant Hill and him. Jordan was a complete tier below those two for me.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Letter N wrote: View Post
    Ask Laker fans to spell Earvin 'Magic' Johnson's name, or Heat fans for Dwyane Wade's name.

Damon StoudAmire got screwed when Amare StoudEmire became a bigger name than him.
    I just realized why Midey Mause is your avatar.

Leave a comment:

• Letter N
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    WTF with not even knowing how to spell the names of your "all-time greatest" Raptors in a couple of these comments. I'd like to see Celtics fans argue for Lahry Burd over Majik Jonsone while Bulls fans tell us all why Mikael Johdan is so much better than Labrohn Jaimes.

Pick the first or last name, but when writing about Damon Stoudamire please get at least one of them right.
    Ask Laker fans to spell Earvin 'Magic' Johnson's name, or Heat fans for Dwyane Wade's name.

Damon StoudAmire got screwed when Amare StoudEmire became a bigger name than him.

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
    While this thread is looking for a squad of best players, I'd like to break ranks and give only 2 trophies
    • Vince Carter for best overall player
    • Tmac for greatest lost potential

Can't believe some names I saw. And the Bench parts coming into play. If they're great players, they ain't Bench guys - 6th man types exempted. It may be semantics, but great still has a true meaning.

One could add Bosh. And to a lesser stats perspective - Jose Calderon. Someone who I think could win the award for prevailing so long in the face of management not believing.

And when it comes to specific moments in Raptors limited history that stand out, there's that one day which seems to define Raptors luck. On March 26, 2007, Jorge Garbajosa went down with a nasty injury - one that would change a selected 2007 All Star rookie (along with Bargnani) for the rest of his career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag_fQ1EyhXk

The Joeys certainly don't qualify for that.

Your rant just skims over the fact that nowhere in the OP does it ask for great, or greatest players. Best players by position. No need to quote the dictionary for a word that is never asked for.

If the question was who are the greatest players to ever play for the Raps, then the list is short (and no, Jose doesn't belong on it). Hakeem, Vince, T-Mac, Bosh. That is likely it, although Mark Jackson and Peja Stojakovic would deserve consideration.

Leave a comment:

• godkingleonidas
    replied
    1. Vinsanity
    2. Air Canada
    3. VC15
    4. Half-man/Half-Amazing
    5. Vincent Lamar Carter

Leave a comment:

• Hotshot
    replied
    PG - Lowry
    SG - VC
    SF - Gay
    PF- Bosh
    C- JV

bench: Calderon, Derozan, Tmac, Amir Johnson, Antonio Davis.

Leave a comment:

• RapthoseLeafs
    replied
    While this thread is looking for a squad of best players, I'd like to break ranks and give only 2 trophies
    • Vince Carter for best overall player
    • Tmac for greatest lost potential

Can't believe some names I saw. And the Bench parts coming into play. If they're great players, they ain't Bench guys - 6th man types exempted. It may be semantics, but great still has a true meaning.

One could add Bosh. And to a lesser stats perspective - Jose Calderon. Someone who I think could win the award for prevailing so long in the face of management not believing.

And when it comes to specific moments in Raptors limited history that stand out, there's that one day which seems to define Raptors luck. On March 26, 2007, Jorge Garbajosa went down with a nasty injury - one that would change a selected 2007 All Star rookie (along with Bargnani) for the rest of his career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag_fQ1EyhXk

Great ... [adjective] .... of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above the normal or average
    The Joeys certainly don't qualify for that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X