what do you see for next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you see for next year?

with Serge, Fred, Marc etc heading for FA what think the Raptors will look like next year?

I know I know .....

Fred back on a long term deal. 5/110M or so. Marc back on a one year overpay, 1/20M give or take. Serge gone. RHJ probably gets a decent deal elsewhere. Boucher I could see back as full time backup, but only if they can get him cheap with term. Some team may bet a three year deal at something like 6-7M per, and that would probably be too rich for us. No rotation players traded, so McCaw and SJ will be on expiring deals and likely both play minutes off the bench. Matt Thomas should get a lot more minutes. TD as well.

I expect that will be the plan basically no matter what happens these playoffs and with Giannis’ extension this “summer.” But plans for the deadline next summer could change pretty quick if Giannis and other stars are off the market via extensions. But that’s too far ahead to look right now I think.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I think Giannis signs a supermax, and Masai pivots bringing back most of the core. Another 1 year extension for Lowry. 2+1 year deal for Serge (team option). 1+1 deal for Marc (team option). 4 year deal for Fred. 2 year deal for Boucher.

Rondae leaves in free agency though. And we look for a backup big like Giles in free agency.

Comment

You can only ride the same horses hard for so long. I trust Masai to make the hard decisions and right choices but he's not trotting them all out again imo

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          I think Giannis signs a supermax, and Masai pivots bringing back most of the core. Another 1 year extension for Lowry. 2+1 year deal for Serge (team option). 1+1 deal for Marc (team option). 4 year deal for Fred. 2 year deal for Boucher.

Rondae leaves in free agency though. And we look for a backup big like Giles in free agency.

Lowry can't sign another extension, they will need to wait until 2021 free agency to sign him again.

​​​
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I think FVV will be back. They kind of have to bring him back at this point he's playing so well.

What's interesting is that in addition to Serge and Marc, both Boucher and Hollis Jefferson are free agents also. I think it's probable that only one of the 4 is back. Let's assume that's Gasol. That leaves us really small in the front court. Especially if Gasol can only play say 65 games @ say 30 minutes a game.

Maybe our old pal Bismack Biyombo would come back on a minimum deal. He got paid in Orlando, his contract is up and he could come in and grab some boards and block shots for 20 minutes a game. He loved it here and the fans loved him to. Would be fun to see him back.

Comment

Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
              I think FVV will be back. They kind of have to bring him back at this point he's playing so well.

What's interesting is that in addition to Serge and Marc, both Boucher and Hollis Jefferson are free agents also. I think it's probable that only one of the 4 is back. Let's assume that's Gasol. That leaves us really small in the front court. Especially if Gasol can only play say 65 games @ say 30 minutes a game.

Maybe our old pal Bismack Biyombo would come back on a minimum deal. He got paid in Orlando, his contract is up and he could come in and grab some boards and block shots for 20 minutes a game. He loved it here and the fans loved him to. Would be fun to see him back.
              They might bring back Boucher if he doesn’t have a market to play the full time backup minutes. They could also give Hernandez a real shot. But they will probably want some depth there if they keep Marc, because they’ll want to manage his minutes in the RS and be cautious with any injuries. Biz is an interesting target as a backup big. He’d be a popular choice, that’s for sure.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

As for FVV, I am certain the Raptors will match whatever is on the market, or at least come close enough (maybe with an extra year) to effectively match and keep him. Even if he makes his max. Which I still doubt will be there for him. They can go pretty close to the max while maintaining theoretical space in 2021 FA for a max guy. The max I’m projecting for this summer (I’m assuming the cap will be the same as this year, a common approach for leagues facing a cap drop) for Fred is 4/117M. The Raps can offer him 4/106M or 5/137M and keep his 2nd year salary to 24M, which is the value they have just enough room for alongside a max salary and a couple draft picks and a few minimum deals (again assuming a flat cap for 2021).

I still think he comes in cheaper than that, in the 20-25M AAV range. But if he ends up more expensive, the Raps aren’t going to let him walk.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                  As for FVV, I am certain the Raptors will match whatever is on the market, or at least come close enough (maybe with an extra year) to effectively match and keep him. Even if he makes his max. Which I still doubt will be there for him. They can go pretty close to the max while maintaining theoretical space in 2021 FA for a max guy. The max I’m projecting for this summer (I’m assuming the cap will be the same as this year, a common approach for leagues facing a cap drop) for Fred is 4/117M. The Raps can offer him 4/106M or 5/137M and keep his 2nd year salary to 24M, which is the value they have just enough room for alongside a max salary and a couple draft picks and a few minimum deals (again assuming a flat cap for 2021).

I still think he comes in cheaper than that, in the 20-25M AAV range. But if he ends up more expensive, the Raps aren’t going to let him walk.
                  Wow appreciate your post. Don't want to lose Freddy.
                  Last edited by Tmac2darak; Fri Aug 21, 2020, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

Yes I'm seeing Serge walking. Byombo is interesting

Comment

What's the word on the draft for us? I know the 29th pick isn't the most exciting, but with how well we draft, I think that would give some indication on our intentions too.

Something in my gut tells me Ibaka stays, particularly with the Giants of Africa connection. People like to take pay cuts in exchange for ring opportunities.

Comment

Have a hard time seeing Masai brining in a guy like Biyombo. This team is built with 2 way versatile players intentionally, and its working amazingly well. We think Gasol going 1 for 4 is frustrating - Biyombo can't shoot at all.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I think most of it will come down to how each player will do these playoffs (and also how they do as a team).

We'll probably keep just one Centre, and even the one we keep would ideally be on a team friendly deal if we wanted to keep space for 2021. It's early in the playoffs and the sample is small, but Serge has logged more minutes than Gasol so far, is averaging 16.6ppg, 8.6 boards, shooting 45% from deep on 3.5 attempts per game (as a centre), with a mix of shots including inside put backs, post, midrange pick and pops, and 3's, while on defence limiting opponent drives and altering shots.

Gasol meanwhile hasn't been himself lately. I like Gasol, I'm fully confident he'll bounce back, but that said, if we end up losing to Boston and he has a poor series there too, it'll be tough - we'd have just the Nets & Celtics series as the body of work over the 2020 playoffs to look at. Serge also looks to be the better matchup vs Kanter & Theis (though if we get to face Milwaukee Gasol will be key).

Serge is also almost 5 years younger than Gasol, so when you factor all that in, Serge is shaping up to have a much better market for him in Free Agency than Gasol. So in the end the cost might be the deciding factor - if this trajectory continues we simply might not be able to afford Serge and still retain cap space, so they might stick with Gasol on a hopefully team friendly deal commensurate with his overall playoff performance this year.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

I think 25M/yr is likely, which I never in a million years imagined I'd be saying. I think van Vleet might be the single player I was most wrong about in all my years watching this team. I legitimately thought Delon Wright was going to be leaps and bounds better. shows you how much I know.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post

I think 25M/yr is likely, which I never in a million years imagined I'd be saying. I think van Vleet might be the single player I was most wrong about in all my years watching this team. I legitimately thought Delon Wright was going to be leaps and bounds better. shows you how much I know.
                              Same. Couldn't see how FVV could overcome his size disadvantage. Guys that small just don't get to the point of overall effectiveness he's reached. He's extended his range, picks his spots better for his drives, leads the league in deflections??? How does one of the smallest guys in the league get his hands on so many passes? He's smart, hustles all the time, has great anticipation, and is quick.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                              X