A Lowry article -- free agency, trade deadline, DeRozan and other things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Lowry article -- free agency, trade deadline, DeRozan and other things

I won't copy the article because it's very long, but it's a good read.

Most of the stuff we already know, but there are some interesting bits, how Lowry talked to other teams during free agency, relationship with the Raptors, relationship with DeMar.

It sounds that the Rockets had a real shot, they met with Lowry at 12:01 AM, July 1 (earliest possible moment) and.. told him to wait for Melo.

It seems disrespectful. Usually when a team organizes one of these midnight meetings, they want to show that the player is a priority and they offer a contract, not ask to wait for Melo.

Morey might deserve the David Kahn award. He snatched defeat out of jaws of victory this summer.

Also, I'm impressed at how open Ujiri's communication with players and agents seems to be. Straightforward, no bullshit. Both during free agency and trade deadline.

And I thought this part was funny:

"Dolan hired those business consultants [McKinsey & Company] last summer," said the source with knowledge of the Raptors' plans. "They had sold him on this whole thing about, 'You've been exploited by giving away first-round picks.'
    A comedy. Dolan hires these guys after the Bargnani and before Lowry. If he hires them earlier, maybe they still have those picks. If he hires them later, they have Lowry.

Wanted by Many, Kyle Lowry Forges New Bond with Raptors Team He Almost Left

Good article and well worth a read.

Comment

Quoted some of the best parts of the article:

"When I made calls on Kyle, nobody ever talked about the basketball, and that struck me. He really took responsibility on those other things. He decided to turn it up."

Casey added, "Once he saw that he wasn't going to be traded, he took it as a personal challenge as far as the team and everything to make sure he put it on his back. He said, 'Look, whether I'm going to be successful here or somewhere else, I need to take this team to a higher level.' He was a man about it."

(Morey... LOL)
      In that first meeting with the Rockets, a source close to the situation said, Morey made it clear that he wanted his former player to return. But the GM wouldn't make an official offer until Anthony made his decision. Then Lowry met with the Raptors at 11 a.m. on July 1 in Philadelphia with Miller, Ujiri and Casey, who flew in from his offseason home in Seattle. The message was clear: They wanted him back and would satisfy his high-dollar demand.

[on resigning]
      There were several reasons. One was competing in the weaker Eastern Conference. Another was continuing his defensive evolution under the blue-collar Casey, whom Lowry said he respects. A third was continuity by staying in the same city that Lowry called "unbelievable."

Also critical in Lowry's decision was his close connection with his backcourt sidekick, DeMar DeRozan, whom Lowry described as "such a positive influence." As Lowry was contemplating his choices at the start of free agency, he phoned DeRozan, who was on a plane about to take off for the Philippines, and they talked for 20 minutes.

"He just listened to me as a friend, as a confidant," Lowry said. "He was just there for me and he didn't push me either way [to come back or not]. You've got a guy who doesn't care really about anything but your happiness, and you want to be around it. Now we have the opportunity to call the team our own."
      Myself (March 2014):
      The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

For one, it will need Lowry to improve his mid-range game, as he only shot 33.3 percent from that area last season. The now-28-year-old veteran is making that a focal point in his workouts while making sure to seek out the contact in drills that he's likely to get in games.

"I worked out with Kevin Garnett one time when I was a young pup, and he did everything game-like," said Lowry, who has spent part of his summer playing pickup games with DeRozan and Amir Johnson in Las Vegas. "He really told me a lot about everything and the way you train is the way you're supposed to play."

"[The Nets in the playoffs] did some things trying to get the ball out of Kyle's hands and making certain players make decisions, and they were challenged," Casey said. "The more multiple pick-and-roll options you have, the more effective you're going to be offensively. Also, when the ball comes out of the double team, our guys have got to be able to make an attacking play. Learning playoff basketball is huge for our young team."

Casey is a great coach for this team.
        Myself (March 2014):
        The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

Good read, thanks
          AKA Chief Rocka @ RaptorsHQ

Comment

OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
            Also critical in Lowry's decision was his close connection with his backcourt sidekick, DeMar DeRozan, whom Lowry described as "such a positive influence." As Lowry was contemplating his choices at the start of free agency, he phoned DeRozan, who was on a plane about to take off for the Philippines, and they talked for 20 minutes.

"He just listened to me as a friend, as a confidant," Lowry said. "He was just there for me and he didn't push me either way [to come back or not]. You've got a guy who doesn't care really about anything but your happiness, and you want to be around it. Now we have the opportunity to call the team our own."
            Finally a franchise player we can be proud of ... Great work ethic , no drama and great team mate
            DeRozan loves this city and team .
            Last edited by guyroch; Wed Aug 6, 2014, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Good read. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
              X