Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Playoffs Round 2 Game 1 C*#^tics at Raptors Thursday August 27 6:30pm on (TBA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, this might be the right time to bust out the Jumbo Lineup with OG at the 2.
    Yes. If Lowry is out, I feel like that's how we should start.

FVV-OG-Siakam-Ibaka-Gasol

Defensively
    FVV on Kemba
    Siakam on Brown
    OG on Tatum

That's intense defensive pressure on their perimeter players which is where most of their scoring is going to come from. If they beat their own man on the permiter (which will be tough as these are all very good defenders), they still have to deal with Ibaka and Gasol protecting the rim. I know that leaves Marcus Smart for Serge but Smart offensively is of less concern compared to Kemba/Brown/Tatum

Offensively

--We gotta break through their perimeter defence which is very strong, so you need to deploy a pick and roll with Siakam, with him either setting or receiving the screen. Back-to-the-basket iso's followed by Dirk fadeaways by Siakam will simply not work against the Celtics set defence. Haven't seen Siakam pnr against the Nets but now is the time.

--Gasol MUST shoot from the top of the key when he's open. If not, Theis will sag off him all day long, and be free to patrol the paint, and now we got our wings having to deal with a strong perimeter defence, plus Theis inside. Gotta pull him out of the paint by having Gasol aggressively shoot from outside, allowing Ibaka to grab offensive boards and have a strong inside presence.

--Have Norm/Davis/Thomas abundantly rain 3's vs their bench, which is weak. Gotta run lots of pin-downs and spot-up corner 3's for these guys.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

Who are they boycotting by refusing to play? ESPN and TNT? The fans? The NBA?

Edit: Maybe I'm being pedantic but it goes to the question of what any of this will accomplish. Nothing is happening now before the election in November federally (the Dems won't give Trump a win on this and the Reps won't go far enough for the Dems to say yes anyway), you've got 50 states that are all completely different and literally hundreds of cities and most of the latter are so poorly run they can't even collect garbage on time, let alone deal with complex public policy issues. Sorry, but two NBA teams not playing a game that about million or so Americans would watch anyway isn't going to do anything.
      I think the argument for it is on a couple levels:
      - It would take the public statements to the next level at a point where they feel current action isn't getting it done. It may accomplish nothing. But Kaepernick was even less of an action but it helped keep the issue on the front burner and became a major part of the dialogue. Pro athlete boycotts could do the same. It can help keep the thing moving forward (as long term as the whole challenge is and as small a contribution as this may be to the big picture - that all doesn't mean it's not worth doing).
      - As individuals & citizens, the players feel like they have to do SOMETHING. I'd commend taking action on their personal conviction, their conscience. This is the next step in doing something. Again not the final answer, not the whole thing, but an actionable step they can take as basketball players.

I don't think anyone's under the presumption that a minor NBA boycott solves the issue. May still be worth doing.

I've been disappointed by the lack of Dem interest in addressing these social justice issues. Both parties seem so damn establishment. The people in power are millionaires and this just isn't topping their priority lists. So frustrating at the grassroots level.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post

I think the argument for it is on a couple levels:
        - It would take the public statements to the next level at a point where they feel current action isn't getting it done. It may accomplish nothing. But Kaepernick was even less of an action but it helped keep the issue on the front burner and became a major part of the dialogue. Pro athlete boycotts could do the same. It can help keep the thing moving forward (as long term as the whole challenge is and as small a contribution as this may be to the big picture - that all doesn't mean it's not worth doing).
        - As individuals & citizens, the players feel like they have to do SOMETHING. I'd commend taking action on their personal conviction, their conscience. This is the next step in doing something. Again not the final answer, not the whole thing, but an actionable step they can take as basketball players.

I don't think anyone's under the presumption that a minor NBA boycott solves the issue. May still be worth doing.

I've been disappointed by the lack of Dem interest in addressing these social justice issues. Both parties seem so damn establishment. The people in power are millionaires and this just isn't topping their priority lists. So frustrating at the grassroots level.
        Fair enough. Personally, I don't really care. If the Raps are playing I will watch, if they aren't I will find something else to do and I don't really care if it affects the NBA's bottom line cause they don't pay me. But this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

As for why parties don't solve these issues, years ago I sat on the board of a private charity that owned housing for poor people. I was so naïve about the industry that had been built in the city that needed the poverty to continue so it could get funding. It was so depressing I quit. The same is almost certainly true for all these types of problems - there are lots of people who don't want them solved cause it would take away their money, power, etc..

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
          I feel like the key will be the play of Gasol and Ibaka. If we can beat them inside that showiing tip the scales in our favor
          I totally agree with you, Boston has no match for either Ibaka or Gasol, I also think a guy like Boucher can cause them alot of trouble.
          On the other hand, in terms of our defence, it is all about protecting the perimeter, so it is sure that we will see Powell, Fred and Davis playing for long streches. This series is not easy, and it might even be very complicated if Lowry did not play, but at the end, we have all the right pieces to beat Boston.

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post
            Paul Pierce is just so punchable....I would count knocking off the Celtics as higher value than the Bucks or Philly.
            The only higher would be lakers in the finals.
            I hope Pierce picks the Celtics in this series.

Comment

Edit: Maybe I'm being pedantic but it goes to the question of what any of this will accomplish. Nothing is happening now before the election in November federally (the Dems won't give Trump a win on this and the Reps won't go far enough for the Dems to say yes anyway), you've got 50 states that are all completely different and literally hundreds of cities and most of the latter are so poorly run they can't even collect garbage on time, let alone deal with complex public policy issues. Sorry, but two NBA teams not playing a game that about million or so Americans would watch anyway isn't going to do anything.
              My thoughts exactly.
              NBA has been performing poorly too, so they're not really affecting much.
              They can be more effective by being more vocal, not by cancelling games.

Comment

The Raps are all seafood lovers.... and Chowdha is on the menu.

Should be a great series.... and when its over.... The Chowders will join the Sixers as yet another example of a methane fueled blast from bristol of east coast media hype.

EDIT. Forgot the obligatory Fuck Boston.
                Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Aug 25, 2020, 07:08 PM.
                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                - TGO

Comment

its to draw attention to the key important issues

Comment

I don’t think any party is going to take a hard stance on this issue in an election year.

I think the NBA is doing as much as they can as an institution. Maybe donating more money towards oppressed communities. Stepping up the NBA Cares cause.

The protests on the streets should be the catalyst for change. Until the majority of people speak out against inequality there will be no change.
                    Last edited by saints91; Tue Aug 25, 2020, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Kagemusha wrote: View Post

If Celtics win Game 1, you know Pierce is going to say this series is over and Celtics will sweep.

Comment

I don't even pay attention to Paul Pierce anymore, he's such a homer.

I'm going to rewatch the bubble Celtics game again tomorrow...if I can stomach it. I think the Celtics will be thrown off by the level of defence coming at them on Thurs.

The only time we seem to lose is when we have a horrible shooting game, like everyone is collectively off that night. We get open looks, just can't get out of the funk. That happened in two games against Boston (Christmas day and the bubble game) and that horrible one against the Heat in January. All three games we had open shots, I wouldn't credit the D too much in those games.

Comment

Fair enough. Personally, I don't really care. If the Raps are playing I will watch, if they aren't I will find something else to do and I don't really care if it affects the NBA's bottom line cause they don't pay me. But this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

As for why parties don't solve these issues, years ago I sat on the board of a private charity that owned housing for poor people. I was so naïve about the industry that had been built in the city that needed the poverty to continue so it could get funding. It was so depressing I quit. The same is almost certainly true for all these types of problems - there are lots of people who don't want them solved cause it would take away their money, power, etc..
                          Absolutely. I work in the non profit sector. Some people are absolutely here to build large organizations with as many staff as they can get funding for. It's kingdom building. People get competitive and territorial, it's really weird. Totally lose sight of the people you're supposed to be helping and the general idea that we should be trying to work ourselves out of a job if we're actually creating permanent solutions.

Government is terrible for people just happy to have a job, there's often no urgency at all. It's a huge machine to try to push in any direction.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post

Absolutely. I work in the non profit sector. Some people are absolutely here to build large organizations with as many staff as they can get funding for. It's kingdom building. People get competitive and territorial, it's really weird. Totally lose sight of the people you're supposed to be helping and the general idea that we should be trying to work ourselves out of a job if we're actually creating permanent solutions.

Government is terrible for people just happy to have a job, there's often no urgency at all. It's a huge machine to try to push in any direction.
                            "Pournelle's iron law of bureaucracy

In any bureaucracy, the people devoted to the benefit of the bureaucracy itself always get in control and those dedicated to the goals the bureaucracy is supposed to accomplish have less and less influence, and sometimes are eliminated entirely."

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                              "Pournelle's iron law of bureaucracy

In any bureaucracy, the people devoted to the benefit of the bureaucracy itself always get in control and those dedicated to the goals the bureaucracy is supposed to accomplish have less and less influence, and sometimes are eliminated entirely."
                              And what is Trump doing?
                              Like him or not, but he's been cutting red tape.
                              Last edited by Kagemusha; Tue Aug 25, 2020, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Oh, he will....

Comment

Working...
                                X