Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Playoffs Round 2 Game 1 C*#^tics at Raptors Thursday August 27 6:30pm on (TBA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G__Deane wrote: View Post

I dislike some teams, not the city they're from. The Bruins play hockey like many wish they did in Toronto; solid talented hard working first line featuring the league's young leading scorer, a class act perennial defensive player of the year and another guy that if he played bball, would be Lowry. An under rated D in Krug, McAvoy, Chara and Carlo and the best goaltender in the NHL (who opted out), leaving the other half of the Jennings Trophy winner to hold the fort.

Why hate on a city? Screw the Celtics. Actually, Red Sox too
    I never really cared about Boston teams until I went to a Red Sox game about 20 years ago. Buddy and I would do trips to watch baseball games and Boston was on our list. We were there as Jays fans and knew we'd take some abuse but the Boston fans were off the charts. We had beer and food dumped on us before the game even started. Toronto scored a run in the second or third inning and my buddy stood and cheered and some 300 pound land whale came down the aisle and punched him in the back of the head. The ushers threw us out and were manhandling my buddy who was having trouble keeping pace after getting hit in the head. They told us not to come back if we had tickets for the next games. We sold the tickets and left town.

When I tell that story I hear lots and lots of similar stories from other teams' fans and even Boston fans themselves. No time for those losers or their teams.

Comment

Boston fucking sucks can we stop insinuating otherwise. Just awful. They also have the worst accent in the states and that includes Jersey.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Comment

Chances of a game tomorrow now murky at best

Comment

NO chance they play. I think it's 30/70 they shut it down completely

Comment

Just to lighten the mood a bit:

Let's face it... the 2 LA teams voted to go home because they know they are losing to the Raps in the Finals, regardless.

Comment

I think the board meets at 11am today according to some tweets I read yesterday. That will decide what will happen I guess. I'm guessing the games will be canceled today.

The news from Shams that the Lakers and Clippers want to cancel the season was alarming to me. I would think those two teams would want to play and everyone else was ready to call it quits. Unless of course all the players are using those two teams as leverage here. Which is pretty smart of them to do.

Comment

Uh also KeonClark are you going to keep repping a Clippers player in your sig until we face them in the Finals or what 😁

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    I think the board meets at 11am today according to some tweets I read yesterday. That will decide what will happen I guess. I'm guessing the games will be canceled today.

The news from Shams that the Lakers and Clippers want to cancel the season was alarming to me. I would think those two teams would want to play and everyone else was ready to call it quits. Unless of course all the players are using those two teams as leverage here. Which is pretty smart of them to do.
                    Apparently it wasn't necessarily a final vote to cancel the season, but more of a poll to see what the other teams say and probably a way to push the owners to make an action plan.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                      Just to lighten the mood a bit:

Let's face it... the 2 LA teams voted to go home because they know they are losing to the Raps in the Finals, regardless.
                      I know this is a joke but some conflicting social media re: that report, Dame had a "who told you that?" comment on one of the posts quoting that bit. Sounds like it was all discussion and not a strong/final statement re: anybody being definitive about time to go home.

Still, really hard to see them carry on at this point. Quite a few of the guys are clearly hit hard this week, even the broadcasters, coaches, etc. Probably find out after the meetings today.

Edit: just saw the above posts, hadn't read to the end of the thread
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post
                        NO chance they play. I think it's 30/70 they shut it down completely
                        They will only look bad if after they resume games, another incident breaks out.

Comment

Keep in mind that the players are allowed to individually choose to walk away. They don't need to vote. This can be a personal choice and that personal choice could then lead to cancellation of the season.

If the season is cancelled, what are the consequences in terms of the league financials (ie: people getting paid over the next few months) and the CBA in general?

Comment

I think they finish the season a majority of the guy who arnt superstars will be throwing away opportunity for generational wealth if they dont and owners rip up the cba. Obviously today games are not going to happen. And I bet they would want the first game back to be the bucks. Maybe Friday or saturday..
                            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

My vote on all this: Bring up the possibility of cancelling the season to owners, players, sponsors, fans, TV networks etc.. (all the stakeholders), as a way to stress the importance and put pressure on the issues at hand here. From there, get some sort of commitment/action plan from owners & players to act on (this can include funding, working directly with DA's, police chiefs, education reform, expand league outreach etc)

Once this commitment is in place, resume the games and finish the season, so players can continue to have a platform to talk about this plan they collectively created, and how it will gradually but tangibly do its part to help change things.

I'll respect whatever they decide, but in my personal opinion, just shutting down and walking away will not only get themselves out of news cycle within 24hrs, but it would also take away the very platform and media exposure the athletes have to talk about social change.

It may sound counter-intuitive and seen as distraction from the issues sometimes (understandably so), but the very ability to pick up the phone and directly call a DA as a team depends on their status as elite professional athletes with millions of people every year paying to watch them. And that in turn depends on their ability to play basketball.

Comment

inthepaint wrote: View Post
                                My vote on all this: Bring up the possibility of cancelling the season to owners, players, sponsors, fans, TV networks etc.. (all the stakeholders), as a way to stress the importance and put pressure on the issues at hand here. From there, get some sort of commitment/action plan from owners & players to act on (this can include funding, working directly with DA's, police chiefs, education reform, expand league outreach etc)

Once this commitment is in place, resume the games and finish the season, so players can continue to have a platform to talk about this plan they collectively created, and how it will gradually but tangibly do its part to help change things.

I'll respect whatever they decide, but in my personal opinion, just shutting down and walking away will not only get themselves out of news cycle within 24hrs, but it would also take away the very platform and media exposure the athletes have to talk about social change.

It may sound counter-intuitive and seen as distraction from the issues sometimes (understandably so), but the very ability to pick up the phone and directly call a DA as a team depends on their status as elite professional athletes with millions of people every year paying to watch them. And that in turn depends on their ability to play basketball.
                                I generally agree, while also realizing that's a pretty damn tough ask to have players focus on winning a championship while also taking political action to a level they've never achieved before. Pretty hard to be that divided.

But they'll definitely lose some leverage if they shut it down and leave.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X