Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Playoffs Round 2 Game 1 C*#^tics at Raptors Thursday August 27 6:30pm on (TBA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's 3 times we have played the celtics this year and a big 1 quarter blow out and the guys could never recover. 60% of the time we played these guys we really didnt have a shot to win the game at half time. I think we need an adjustment. I trust nick I know its early but this isn't the first time we played these guys and got this result. Maybe norm for FVV? Maybe serge for FVV? Maybe tell marc he has to take at least 5 3s a game?
    Lots of length for FVV to deal with and pascal has struggled vs boston defense. It may be up to kyle, norm, serge and OG to get us buckets this series.
    I know its only one game but today, the bubble game and xmas remind me of the old raptors. Now nick just has to adjust
    To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Siakam to Philly for Ben Simmons.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
        That's 3 times we have played the celtics this year and a big 1 quarter blow out and the guys could never recover. 60% of the time we played these guys we really didnt have a shot to win the game at half time. I think we need an adjustment. I trust nick I know its early but this isn't the first time we played these guys and got this result. Maybe norm for FVV? Maybe serge for FVV? Maybe tell marc he has to take at least 5 3s a game?
        Lots of length for FVV to deal with and pascal has struggled vs boston defense. It may be up to kyle, norm, serge and OG to get us buckets this series.
        I know its only one game but today, the bubble game and xmas remind me of the old raptors. Now nick just has to adjust
        You're very right. If we continue to use the same defence and offence we've used vs them so far this year we might win 1 or 2 games but we won't be the better team and will not win the series.

--Run actual plays for Siakam

--Change the defence to lock down the corner 3's and let them try to beat us inside (our bigs & rim protection can handle their bigs/inside presence)

--If they continue to ignore Gasol when they're defending (like they have all year), take him out. If you're passing up and/or not making open looks you have no place in this series. Boston's perimeter D is too tight for that crap. Our half court-offence is already labouring, we can't afford to play 4 on 5.

--Give some more burn to Norm, TD and Thomas so the floor can be stretched for everyone else (as opposed to shrunk when Gasol is in). Celtics perimeter defence is tight, therefore you need more active outside shooters, so guys like Lowry/FVV/Siakam/Serge have more space and more options as an outlet pass on a drive and kick offence.
        Last edited by inthepaint; Sun Aug 30, 2020, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• I didn't even read the article yet but Blake has an article up on The Athletic about how the Raptors can't lose the Center battle this badly. And he's right.
          At one point in the game today Matt or Jack said they Boston wants Gasol to feel like he's playing in an empty gym. IE they are giving him lots of room. Do something with it or sit him down.

Comment

• At the end of the day, I think it still only counts as one L
            We need to rebound and take game 2

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
              I didn't even read the article yet but Blake has an article up on The Athletic about how the Raptors can't lose the Center battle this badly. And he's right.
              At one point in the game today Matt or Jack said they Boston wants Gasol to feel like he's playing in an empty gym. IE they are giving him lots of room. Do something with it or sit him down.
              Gasol's 7 points and 6 rebound and 0/3 from three is simply not defensible nor good enough especially when you add in that he was getting absolutely blown by regularly in 26 minutes.

Ibaka had 15 points and 9 rebounds and 3/7 from three in an identical 26 minutes. He's outplayed Marc for multiple games in a row now.

If Gasol can't take advantage of the undersized Celtics then it's time for either the short hook or start Serge. Theis had 15 rebounds! Give Bouchard a few more minutes if we need energy.

Comment

• Sonny wrote: View Post
                Siakam to Philly for Ben Simmons.
                Not if Warriors offer is real
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Sonny wrote: View Post
                  Siakam to Philly for Ben Simmons.
                  I don’t think either team would do that tbh
                  The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Gasol's 7 points and 6 rebound and 0/3 from three is simply not defensible nor good enough especially when you add in that he was getting absolutely blown by regularly in 26 minutes.

Ibaka had 15 points and 9 rebounds and 3/7 from three in an identical 26 minutes. He's outplayed Marc for multiple games in a row now.

If Gasol can't take advantage of the undersized Celtics then it's time for either the short hook or start Serge. Theis had 15 rebounds! Give Bouchard a few more minutes if we need energy.
                    Before the bubble, Gasol's last regular season game was Jan 28th. Coincidentally, he turned 35 the day after that game. Then he didn't play competitive basketball for 6 months, and started back in the bubble at 35 and a half.

Since his 6-month hiatus, he only had 3 games in which he had double digits in either points, rebound or assists. The vast majority of his games this year are "triple singles", where points rebounds and assists are all single digits. On the season, he's averaging 7/6/3 in 26 minutes.

So unfortunately, the low numbers are nothing new. I've long (albeit reluctantly) come to accept that this is who he is within the team, and learned to appreciate the other things he brings on, like his defensive presence against guys like Embiid & Vucevic.

However, since his return to play after the 6 month pause, there's been 2 things that are very troublesome:

1. His defence has deteriorated, he's been blown by more often than he used too, and as a result of being a step slower, also looks to be committing more fouls.
                    2. This is the most problematic: He's generating zero gravity on offence, to the point where defences are ignoring him. That is extremely detrimental to other teammates on the floor, because now you not only have to battle a perimeter defence that is naturally strong like the Celtics, but you also have to make up for a shrunken floor where you're basically playing 4 on 5 on offence.

I have a lot of respect for Gasol, I like him as a player, as a Raptor and as a human being, and I know we don't win the chip without him last year. But for this year I have to call it like it is. If you're consistently passing up/not converting open looks, and you're no threat from 3, midrange, paint or nowhere else on the floor to the point where the opposing team will leave you alone on defence, you gotta take a seat till when and if you get your mojo back. Otherwise we'lll be thoroughly beat. Simple as that. The margin of error that looked wide against the Nets is gone now.

Nick's gotta adjust quickly here if the trend continues. It's not that we're not deep and don't have guys that would command attention from opposing defences. There are several guys on the bench that would put a ton of stress on the celtics defence with the 26 minutes Gasol is getting.

Comment

She could probably out-rebound Gasol and not afraid to take the open 3.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

She could probably out-rebound Gasol and not afraid to take the open 3.
                        And I wasn't even drinking yet .... much

Comment

• It's a make or miss league. I made the thread but missed the win. This feel a lot like game 1 to the bucks. Game 2 will be much more instructive.

Comment

Raps held Boston to an ORTG of 100 with Gasol on the court. With Serge it was higher, in spite of mostly playing against Boston's bench. And that was with Serge's numbers being way better in the 9 minutes he played at PF beside Gasol. That means a 124 DRTG while Serge played C that game.

Serge absolutely brought the scoring and good on him for that, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking Serge is even comparable, let alone an upgrade, defensively, basically no matter who the opposition is.

The problem was not the defence, and we should be careful not to screw it up. The defence was at least fine and mostly good. The offence was a disaster. Need more from Siakam, and he'll be better moving forward if they go away from making him play against a set defence, give him the ball more in motion. But even without that, simply hitting their open shots would make a world of difference. Like, literally if they hit their shots this game at their season averages (even including effects from pull-up vs catch and shoot, and contested vs open shots), the game would have been tied.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Raps held Boston to an ORTG of 100 with Gasol on the court. With Serge it was higher, in spite of mostly playing against Boston's bench. And that was with Serge's numbers being way better in the 9 minutes he played at PF beside Gasol. That means a 124 DRTG while Serge played C that game.

Serge absolutely brought the scoring and good on him for that, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking Serge is even comparable, let alone an upgrade, defensively, basically no matter who the opposition is.

The problem was not the defence, and we should be careful not to screw it up. The defence was at least fine and mostly good. The offence was a disaster. Need more from Siakam, and he'll be better moving forward if they go away from making him play against a set defence, give him the ball more in motion. But even without that, simply hitting their open shots would make a world of difference. Like, literally if they hit their shots this game at their season averages (even including effects from pull-up vs catch and shoot, and contested vs open shots), the game would have been tied.
                              This may seem a bit too obvious, but Boston isn't an "average" team, like the Pelicans, Spurs or Grizzlies that you play in the regular season. Also, opposition defensive intensity tends to increase in the playoffs.... which is why you need scorers with another gear, like Kawhi.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Is FVV better than Marcus Smart? Maybe... but how much better? Not defensively, that's for sure. Smart makes $13M/year. This series would be a perfect opportunity for Fred to proves he's actually worth $20M/year.
                                In an offensive league, offensive players are going to get paid more it's that simple. FVV is the better shooter/offensive player. Smart though is the superior defender and imo is the better overall player.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X